Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

What is the flow rate of the Swan River? They have almost dammed it up to build that bridge. It isn't that complicated a built is it that they need all that land fill to build it?? Or has a fancy design complicated a basic walking bridge?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the reason for so much land fill was because the stadium/surrounds were so far ahead of the bridge that they ran out of room on the bank for their equipment, etc. Can't remember where I read it so it could've just been someone with no knowledge of the build. :p

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
What is the flow rate of the Swan River? They have almost dammed it up to build that bridge. It isn't that complicated a built is it that they need all that land fill to build it?? Or has a fancy design complicated a basic walking bridge?
no idea on flow rate - maybe there is a hydrologist lurking

they had to do all that infill so there was a staging area to put all the bridge pieces. this was originally going to be on the land next to stadium before it was all finished, but due to delay (and finishing off the amenities requiring to be done), they needed to infill more.

but I wonder how much infill costs and if in hindsight, more infill on both sides plus new (smaller) bridge would have been a cost saving.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
Just think its there because it was so delayed. All the construction gear was around the Camfield site, but had to be moved somewhere else. No where else to go besides on the river.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Really need to drop last minute prices looking to attend tonight’s game but $55 thanks but no thanks I’ll watch from my lounge room

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Because it makes no sense whatsover to sell last minute tickets cheaper than membership prices.

Your buying a seat for a one off game that isn't being used?

The point is to get people to use those seats that will otherwise go empty so you should make them available at a cheaper price to encourage more people to go....

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Because it makes no sense whatsover to sell last minute tickets cheaper than membership prices.
"I was gonna go to the footy but had something on, now it's cancelled but I still won't go coz it'll cost me more than if I bought the ticket a week ago". Yeah good way to fill the empty seats.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
"I was gonna go to the footy but had something on, now it's cancelled but I still won't go coz it'll cost me more than if I bought the ticket a week ago". Yeah good way to fill the empty seats.
Why buy memberships if you can get individual tickets cheaper than membership costs?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Why buy memberships if you can get individual tickets cheaper than membership costs?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Because memberships get you better seats, especially compared to the tickets that you can by the night before a match.
I buy a SACA membership every year. Even if I could get a cheaper ticket to each day's play I wanted to go to by waiting til the day of or the night before, I'd be stuck on the hill, or in the sun etc.
But if I decide tomorrow afternoon to go to the Crows game, because I hear there are tickets remaining and they're now $25 instead of $50, then that might entice me to go - and then, should I choose to, any food/drink/merch I purchase is still at full price.

So it's a win for me, as I got a cheap ticket (when I wouldn't get the value of buying a full membership) and got out of the house. It's a win for the club, as they get an extra bum on a seat which looks good on their attendance tally. It's also a win for them because they got $25 for the seat instead of $0. It's a win for the stadium as they get my $50 for a pie, chips and coke too. And who knows, maybe me getting to this game convices me to go to more games, and then I buy tickets earlier at full price, and maybe go to so many that next season I see the value in buying a membership.

Conversely if I decided tomorrow afternoon to go to the Crows game and found out that it will now cost me $75 instead of $50 for my ticket, do you think I'd go?

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
Variable pricing due to time to buy is not the way to go. Variable pricing due to expected crowd numbers would be a better idea. That's not always easy as weather also plays a part - last week Freo got rain, today is a perfect winter's day.

Eagles last 2 home games have been Tigers now Saints. Don't need to be a genius to work out which game would be more popular with people wanting to buy a ticket.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Last minute tickets should be more expensive.
I can go to games in Melbourne at a drop of a hat for 30 bucks easily. I can’t afford a full membership and with my plans changing tonight I thought it would be a good idea to go. If there is 8-9k seats empty fill up

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Agreed however that people should be encouraged to get memberships or pre-purchase early. Reward this, but if there are free seats close to gameday encourage people to get them.

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
no idea on flow rate - maybe there is a hydrologist lurking

they had to do all that infill so there was a staging area to put all the bridge pieces. this was originally going to be on the land next to stadium before it was all finished, but due to delay (and finishing off the amenities requiring to be done), they needed to infill more.

but I wonder how much infill costs and if in hindsight, more infill on both sides plus new (smaller) bridge would have been a cost saving.
Mass flow rate is equal to density x area x velocity. Because the density would stay the same but the area descreases, the velocity would increase to compensate (assuming it is a perfect system which it isn't). So the mass flow is likely to be similar but the water moving through that passage will be a fair bit faster than elsewhere along the river.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Mass flow rate is equal to density x area x velocity. Because the density would stay the same but the area descreases, the velocity would increase to compensate (assuming it is a perfect system which it isn't). So the mass flow is likely to be similar but the water moving through that passage will be a fair bit faster than elsewhere along the river.

Just as it would around Heirisson Island (?) not far downstream.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
can freo move back to subi or something this is embarrassing to WA sports that they can only get 33k
Weather ended up being fine (albeit freezing) but I was seriously contemplating staying home as I was expecting heavy showers given the past week.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Weather ended up being fine (albeit freezing) but I was seriously contemplating staying home as I was expecting heavy showers given the past week.

There were some heavy showers in the morning

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
30k-40k is around what you'd expect both WA teams to pull when they are in struggle town.

When the Eagles are down again we''ll get similar results with crowd numbers.

Back