Jake Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
He isn't good enough. We managed to hide him last year due to our success but in reality he is a terrible footballer with poor skills and limited lock down ability.

yes blah blah he tries real hard and all that but ffs let's get real if we want to improve.

Your username would go really well with a "Sack Burton" avatar.

Kelly's days look numbered but he was pretty decent defensively last year.

Your username would go really well with a "Sack Burton" avatar.

Kelly's days look numbered but he was pretty decent defensively last year.

Deserves a chance to redeem himself. Needs to go back to the SANFL and clean up his work. Get some confidence back. Can’t have a defender that fumbles. He costs us a lot of goals. But he has also shown he can be AFL standard. Needs a reset.

I thought Jake "The Bull" Kelly was supposed to be an aggressive beast. Haven't seen anything like that, more like Jake "The Steer" Kelly.

Walsh knew he was not good enough and he would not be on our list under the previous coach. I would say the only other team he may get a game in would be carlton and st kilda. Trade or delist end of year.

Walsh knew he was not good enough and he would not be on our list under the previous coach. I would say the only other team he may get a game in would be carlton and st kilda. Trade or delist end of year.
And yet he was very good last year. Walsh was not perfect, some coaches see things others don't. Sometimes for good, sometimes for bad

Last year was probably his ceiling, but it was good. Just needs to get back to that.

And yet he was very good last year. Walsh was not perfect, some coaches see things others don't. Sometimes for good, sometimes for bad

Last year was probably his ceiling, but it was good. Just needs to get back to that.

I think you've hit the nail on the head on this one mate.. Absolutely that's his ceiling - can't improve from there unfortunately. No way he's in our best 22 when everybody else is fit.

I think you've hit the nail on the head on this one mate.. Absolutely that's his ceiling - can't improve from there unfortunately. No way he's in our best 22 when everybody else is fit.
And yet he was all last year. Cheney and he are pretty much neck and neck. Who else has him covered? I think Cheney is at best a marginal upgrade - probably worth a go at the moment, but it's not like Kelly is the major problem (or even in the top 10) we have at the moment.

Cheney is also turning 29 in August, so it's not like he is a long term solution

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet he was all last year. Cheney and he are pretty much neck and neck. Who else has him covered? I think Cheney is at best a marginal upgrade - probably worth a go at the moment, but it's not like Kelly is the major problem (or even in the top 10) we have at the moment.

Cheney is also turning 29 in August, so it's not like he is a long term solution

And that's the problem mate, we have no other option than to use him. Just because he was in our best 22 last year, doesn't actually mean he should be in our best 22. Personally, I think he's far too robotic in his approach and panics way too much under pressure and he's easy to expose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for effort and heart. Something Kelly doesn't lack but eventually ability comes into play.

His nickname should be ‘handbrake’.

Not for his defensive work on the opposition (awful this year) but for his attacking ability.

He can’t kick right foot at all (which got him embarrassingly HTB yesterday) but his left foot is only good for a 20m chip pass to the boundary or a delayed bomb down the line...not good enough.

He is being exposed this year because we have done little to replace Brodie Smith in our back 6 ( technically we have put DMac there but that does count as nothing). This has exposed our defense too much this year as we have good one on one defenders who have no attacking flair whatsoever and Jakey boy is one of them.

Milera is an answer but if he is going to turn it over every time he gets the ball, then our defense is going to hurt us. Yesterday, without Smith and Laird in the line up, we had no run and carry to hit targets, no elite foot skills to open up the game with a 40-50 metre dart through the middle, it was horrendous to watch.

Add the defense into a midfield where Greenwood and CEY make Jenkins look like a determined run and tackle player and we are being exposed, exposed by a team that in its own right was very poor, just we managed to be worse.

In a bad patch of form. Seems to be fumbling more than usual, is this a fitness issue??

I actually don’t think his peak is that high, last year is probably the best he’s going to get. I’ll back him in to get back to that form

In a bad patch of form. Seems to be fumbling more than usual, is this a fitness issue??

I actually don’t think his peak is that high, last year is probably the best he’s going to get. I’ll back him in to get back to that form

Fumbling is a skill issue not a fitness issue. Matt Crouch falls into this basket as well, his disposal efficiency last year was superb, this year his disposal is just awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the problem is he isn't good enough defensively to not provide any rebound or run. talia can get away with it because he is elite 1 on 1. jake is often exposed by average players and when they do get on top of him, he offers nothing else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back