Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
30k-40k is around what you'd expect both WA teams to pull when they are in struggle town.

When the Eagles are down again we''ll get similar results with crowd numbers.
Speak for yourself - I go to every game to support the Club I love no matter where they sit on the ladder, ie 2010 when they came stone motherless last! There are a few fine weather supporters though unfortunately in all Clubs.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
i know i live in perth but i would still go even tho my seats are in the rain

Of course, but many people wouldn't. That said, had the dockers been up and about they'd probably got a few more in

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
My son had basketball yesterday so we were going to the game late. The bus stop that we normally catch at Melville Plaza had the last bus leave at 2.04 for a 2.40 game. We could have been ready to leave just after the game started, but instead had to drive to Burswood, park, then walk to the stadium. We ended up getting there 2 minutes before half time. If a stadium is designed for public transport, which I am ok with, surely, public transport has to take into account that not everybody can get there before the game starts. There needs to be some flexibility.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
For me, if a game only goes for three hours, I'm there from the start or not at all. Though I guess if you've paid a full season's membership there'd be more incentive to go for part of a game.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
My son had basketball yesterday so we were going to the game late. The bus stop that we normally catch at Melville Plaza had the last bus leave at 2.04 for a 2.40 game. We could have been ready to leave just after the game started, but instead had to drive to Burswood, park, then walk to the stadium. We ended up getting there 2 minutes before half time. If a stadium is designed for public transport, which I am ok with, surely, public transport has to take into account that not everybody can get there before the game starts. There needs to be some flexibility.
we have that issue at Metricon. no parking at stadium (and also no train or tram, basically have to park at designated spots and get buses in - amazing we get the crowds we do!) - anyway, on topic, I have had times I have had to leave early (eg sick children) and the buses don't start until end of game, so had to taxi from ground to park'n'ride… not good enough

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
For me, if a game only goes for three hours, I'm there from the start or not at all. Though I guess if you've paid a full season's membership there'd be more incentive to go for part of a game.

There is the point. I'm a member, my son is a member but he has made a commitment to play basketball so he is not going to miss a session. Do we not pay for a membership next year if it is suddenly so hard to get to the ground. I fully support the maximization of public transport, but there is no flexibility. When we arrived, we saw an old couple sitting at the bus stand to leave with no buses due for another 90 minutes.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Speak for yourself - I go to every game to support the Club I love no matter where they sit on the ladder, ie 2010 when they came stone motherless last! There are a few fine weather supporters though unfortunately in all Clubs.

Cool story, now back in the real world....

30k-40k is where the Eagles will sit when we get a bit lower on the ladder and that's pretty healthy.

Dockers @ 33k is good enough considering the football they are playing and the weather.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Whats the average attendances for both Freo and West Coast so far at Optus? Would be interesting to compare it to the first year at AO for Crows and Port.

Eagles are averaging 54k

Lowest 50k v Port
highest 57k v Richmond

Dockers 45k

Lowest 33k v Crows
Highest v Eagles 56k

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yep.

There were roughly 15k "in the wings" members, that is, people paying on a waiting list to be members when it/if seats became available for the new stadium.

Moving to the new stadium they sold out the 60k seated "11 game memberships". 6K people were offered 5 & 3 game memberships and they've all sold out.

There are still about 9k "in the wings members" waiting for any kind of memberships.

54ks pretty good. Are there still waiting lists for season tickets with the Eagles now?

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep.

There were roughly 15k "in the wings" members, that is, people paying on a waiting list to be members when it/if seats became available for the new stadium.

Moving to the new stadium they sold out the 60k seated "11 game memberships". 6K people were offered 5 & 3 game memberships and they've all sold out.

There are still about 9k "in the wings members" waiting for any kind of memberships.
Damm, thats not a bad position to be in. Doesnt WC charge money each year to the "in the wings members"?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Cool story, now back in the real world....

30k-40k is where the Eagles will sit when we get a bit lower on the ladder and that's pretty healthy.

Dockers @ 33k is good enough considering the football they are playing and the weather.
Cannot see Eagles ever averaging below mid 40s. If you were right, and it got to 35, that would be 20k off a good average., That would be like mid to high teens at Subi. Not going to happen.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Damm, thats not a bad position to be in. Doesnt WC charge money each year to the "in the wings members"?

Costs $70 a year https://membership.westcoasteagles.com.au/wings

You can't be offered any memberships without going through the wings waiting list.

I was one of the 6k that accepted 4 x 5 game memberships ($680)

Cannot see Eagles ever averaging below mid 40s. If you were right, and it got to 35, that would be 20k off a good average., That would be like mid to high teens at Subi. Not going to happen.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Depends on how bad, the Eagles have never really had a sustained period of being at the bottom of the ladder so the fan numbers have never really been tested.

Really wouldn't be surprised to see attendances drop below 40k.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Throwing out there, because if you've got something to with junior footy whether player, parent, coach or even umpire. You'll find that Sunday games flat out get right in the way, wouldn't be surprised if this rules out hundreds(im being conservative here ) of people each week going forward since most of Freo games will be on the sunday going forward.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Perth people are highly averse to wet weather, it's pretty soft tbh but that's just how it is. Not sure how many other teams would have pulled better in the circumstances tho, WC and Adel and that's about it. Anyone who thinks 33k is "embarrassing" is either living in a fantasy land or they're just trolling.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Perth people are highly averse to wet weather, it's pretty soft tbh but that's just how it is. Not sure how many other teams would have pulled better in the circumstances tho, WC and Adel and that's about it. Anyone who thinks 33k is "embarrassing" is either living in a fantasy land or they're just trolling.

33k, geez if only the Dees, Roos, Saints & Dogs got that in mid winter.

Me, the footies on, I turn up. Unfortunately the AFL is now crowded with " theatre goers ".

PintSzedSlasher

We Love It
Jul 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wigan Athletic
Throwing out there, because if you've got something to with junior footy whether player, parent, coach or even umpire. You'll find that Sunday games flat out get right in the way, wouldn't be surprised if this rules out hundreds(im being conservative here ) of people each week going forward since most of Freo games will be on the sunday going forward.

Next 4 dockers home games in a row on a sunday, last one prob depends on where pies finish. After the eagles thurs night match against Essendon last 4 home games are sunday afternoon also.

Worst time slot ever and not sure why they have been scheduled at the end of the season when the bridge was meant to be finished.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Id rather we play Sunday than Thurs or Fri night. Hate those games.

Would love every eagles game either Saturday day or Sunday day.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
what start time do you consider day?
I ask because many perth folks don't like the 240pm starts (which are called twilight due to tv coverage east coast time, but if it was 240 start on east coast it would be considered day games)

Back