What's up down the road (Gold Coast Suns discussion)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the VFL experts who are claiming how disastrous it will be if the Saints lose to the Suns. They both played like sh*t on the weekend but the story is about Richardson & the Saints. Hope the Suns kick their arses.

St Kilda considered themselves a Top 4 team at the start of the year. Agree they are equally bad but St Kilda were expected to finish much higher as they were generally considered the better team by the media. Pretty much all predictions had both QLD teams in bottom 4 so no surprise compared to expectations.

Gold coast priority pick?

I'm actually concerned that that's a real possibility that will rob us. We'll, maybe not a pp but they will get a major compensation pick for departing lynch and then the league won't want to appear qld centric so they won't give us the pp we deserve. Bastards.

I really struggle to follow the narrative that is fast developing in the media regarding Gold Coast and the need for the league to step in and help them out in a big way. They have brand new facilities, they were handed significant concessions less than a decade ago. I mean AFL didn't step in to assist Brisbane when it was clear we were going to fall off a cliff on-field. In over a decade of poor performances we have managed to get a end of first round PP only.

If they are going to assist the GC then its clear as day should also include Brisbane to be a more QLD based approach by AFL HQ.

Worst case. GC finish below us, get pick X. First round compo for Lynch, X+1. As well as that a PP after their first pick, X+2. Suddenly they have three picks before we have any. Haha.

Lynch is a restricted free agent. Gold Coast will do a Dangerfield type trade as he's worth more than just pick 4~5. They can easily get 2 first rounders, so him leaving won't affect our pick.

Lynch is a restricted free agent. Gold Coast will do a Dangerfield type trade as he's worth more than just pick 4~5. They can easily get 2 first rounders, so him leaving won't affect our pick.

Which Victorian team has two first rounders worth more than a top 5 pick?

Which Victorian team has two first rounders worth more than a top 5 pick?
In any given year they all have two first round picks. This year and next year. It's not that hard for sides to use that and come up with something of pick 5 value or better.

In any given year they all have two first round picks. This year and next year. It's not that hard for sides to use that and come up with something of pick 5 value or better.

Sounds like the front runners are Richmond and Collingwood. They're gonna struggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC are in a bad way, but it's a bit hysterical atm. The travel they've had to do in the first half of the year certainly hasn't helped them.

Overall though, I'd argue their list is in better shape than what ours was at the end of 2013 and during the 2014 and 2015 seasons... talent wise that is.

If they can keep Lynch and not lose any players at the end of the year (i won't hold my breath), i think they could surprise a few down south next year.

Then agree to disagree, he's worth much more in a trade.

He is and if he nominated the Saints they could offer more but it won't happen if he nominated a top team. Lions fans know better than most that you don't always get fair value when a player requests a trade.

Then agree to disagree, he's worth much more in a trade.
Richmond's and Colligwood's picks over 2 years don't look like they would be equal to a top 5 pick though. Would have to be that plus a player and we all know how hard that is to pull off. I mean he could always walk to the draft then. Not going to be an easy trade to pull off for anyone.

Hard to know how much the travel and lack of a home for the past several months has hurt them. A fit team for them is better than they are playing at the moment

Suns will probably still go into Q-Clash 16 as slight favourites with the home ground advantage.

Let's worry about beating them before worrying about draft ramifications.

But yeah, if they finish below us then yeah, we will have to suck it up and accept that the Lynch compo will push us back one spot. The same rules that would look after us if we lose a bonafide star to free agency in coming years. I doubt we would be too worried about the draft impact on other clubs in that scenario.

Suns will probably still go into Q-Clash 16 as slight favourites with the home ground advantage.

But yeah, if they finish below us then yeah, we will have to suck it up and accept that the Lynch compo will push us back one spot. The same rules that would look after us if we lose a bonafide star to free agency in coming years. I doubt we would be too worried about the draft impact on other clubs in that scenario.

That’s so depressing

They will change the rules before then.
Barrett will finally get his way and there will be no Free agency Compensation, from that year onwards.
That is usually the way it works.

Since their inception GC have won 43.5 games, in the same time we have won 44.

Since the start of the 2014 season GC have won 29.5 games, we have won 20.

If Lynch leaves though we’d be at pretty short odds to win more games than them over the next 2-3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back