Player Watch #26: Anthony Miles

Remove this Banner Ad

I just did a little analysis of all the centre bounces on Friday night - who attended, what happened, I present it without comment:

1st Q:
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Miles’ opponent Wingard pushes off him and wins clearance with Miles three metres behind him.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Cotch wins clearance (kick off the ground).
Grigg, Cotch, Caddy, Conca. Woeful bounce gifts Ryder clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Caddy. Cotch pushes off R.Gray, wins scrappy clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Miles dives on ball, secondary ball-up (should have been holding the ball according to the rules). Grigg wins subsequent clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Scrappy, ball in dispute until Port sweeper off the back of the square wins it.

2nd Q:
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Edwards. Cotch wins clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Edwards. Edwards’ man Wingard wins clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Caddy. Nank lays it down beautifully for Ryder, who wins clearance.
Nank, Caddy, Conca, Miles. Miles’ man Powell-Pepper starts level with him, pushes off and beats him to the ball by a clear metre. Conca confronts him but P-P handballs to Conca’s man Wines, who handballs to Caddy’s man Wingard (still next to centre circle), who boots it forward. Caddy had left Wingard to follow the initial tap and as such he was well clear.
Grigg, Cotch, Conca, Miles. Conca’s man Wines pushes off him and bursts 3m clear to win clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Miles. Miles’ man P-P gets the ball but is immediately tackled by Miles and Conca. Secondary ball-up. Tertiary ball-up. Byrnes-Jones wins scrappy clearance.
Nank, Caddy, Conca, Miles. Conca’s man P-P drops ball in Conca tackle, falls to Miles’ man Rockliff. Miles has gone ball-hunting and left him free. Rockliff handballs straight to Sheds but dumpire has called bullshit holding free against Conca. P-P wins gifted clearance.
Nank, Caddy, Edwards, Miles. Edwards’ man Rockliff gets short handball to Caddy’s man Wingard (Caddy left him again). Miles applies ineffective tackle, allowing Wingard to handball to Miles’ man Wines for clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Edwards, Miles. Miles dives on ball, handball to Cotch for clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Edwards, Conca. Edwards gets a bad bounce, his man Wines handballs to Cotch’s man Rockliff for clearance.

3rd Q:
Nank, Cotch, Grigg, Miles. P-P dives on the ball and throws it to Miles’ man Wines, who wins clearance.
Moore, Grigg, Caddy, Miles. Miles attacks nullified tap, as do Wingard, P-P and Miles’ man R.Gray, who taps it to advantage, bursts clear and boots long for clearance. Grigg and Caddy each two metres from contest, zero impact.
Caddy, Grigg, Cotch, Edwards. Caddy follows up his ruck work, handballs to Edwards who fumbles, ball bobbles around, Grigg handballs to Cotch for clearance.
Nank, Edwards, Grigg, Miles. Edwards anticipates the wrong way, Ryder knocks it down to his man Wingard who wins clearance.

4th Q:
Nank, Cotch, Grigg, Higgins. Grigg works Wines under ball, Ryder roves neutral ruck contest, handballs to Cotch’s man P-P who is metres clear, handpass to Higlet’s man R.Gray, back to Ryder, back to Gray, back to P-P who is tackled by Cotch but given six minutes to get his handball wide, Grimes off the ground, out of bounds.
Nank, Cotch, Caddy, Miles. Miles’ man Gray pushes off him and is a metre clear when Ryder lays one in his lap. He handballs to Caddy’s man Wingard who Caddy has again ignored while not impacting the contest. Wingard handpass to Rockliff off the back of the square, he chips it straight to Sheds.

Cotch attended 17 centre bounces, won 5 clearances. His man got 2.
Miles attended 15 centre bounces, won 0 clearances (1 clearance assist). His man got 4, plus an additional 3 first possessions.
Edwards attended 11 centre bounces, won 0 clearances. His man got 2.
Conca attended 9 centre bounces, won 0 clearances. His man got 2, plus 1 first possession.
Grigg attended 6 centre bounces (2 as ruckman), won 0 clearances (1 clearance assist). His man got 1, when he was in the ruck.
Caddy attended 9 centre bounces (1 as ruckman), won 0 clearances, got 1 first possession. His man got 1 clearance, 1 first possession and 2 chain possessions.
Nank attended 19 centre bounces, won 0 clearances. His man got 1 clearance, 1 clearance assist, 1 first possession, 1 chain possession.
Moore and Higgins attended 1 centre bounce each and didn’t bother the statistician. Higgo's bloke got 2 chain possessions.
Fantastic work there RatD , that tells me that Cotchin needs help and that we were pretty undisciplined in the middle in the way we set up. Apart from Cotchin we were bullied .

Fantastic work there RatD , that tells me that Cotchin needs help and that we were pretty undisciplined in the middle in the way we set up. Apart from Cotchin we were bullied .
Yep. Martin is our best centre clearance player, and Prestia would be third. Another good one would help.

and it just shows that a midget in the guts is only good at AFL if he is blessed with speed off the mark if not he needs to be big and strong in order not to be bullied off the ball.

That is the reason Mile's is not playing consistent afl, he can find it sure enough but he is not big enough or fast enough to explode from the pack, it's also why a guy like Higgins was overlooked at the draft.

in hindsight dropping Graham against the big bodied Port mids was a massive blunder with Dusty out and shouldn't be repeated.

You would also have to say not our normal starting midfield combination. It probably takes time to get some synergy within a group and they were up against it in terms of size (and abilities).

and it just shows that a midget in the guts is only good at AFL if he is blessed with speed off the mark if not he needs to be big and strong in order not to be bullied off the ball.

That is the reason Mile's is not playing consistent afl, he can find it sure enough but he is not big enough or fast enough to explode from the pack, it's also why a guy like Higgins was overlooked at the draft.

in hindsight dropping Graham against the big bodied Port mids was a massive blunder with Dusty out and shouldn't be repeated.

Even with hindsight Jack Graham that is was badly out of form and Miles was bashing the door down.
To suggest JGTI would suddenly recapture form against port is not the reality we faced.
I agree, on paper, with match ups etc, but on form the decision was understandable. Miles supporters on here were off their tree screaming for his inclusion. Didn’t work but I have some sympathy in that the whole unit broke down and higher credentialed names than Miles failed also.
Problem we have this week is the Holy Trinity plus Duncan could go to town on a slower mid like Miles. I think he’s in trouble. Maybe Graham comes in to sit on whoever gets dangerous for them, Dusty comes in to make the rest of them less inclined to run off ahead of the ball and Miles is the victim. Rioli probably turfs Higgins also.

When Prestia , Martin , Cotchin are all available - Miles unlucky to miss and he is great depth
When Martin,prestia,Cotchin dont play - Miles unlucky being thrown to the wolves

If Miles is not good enough to be playing when all 3 players are available then he is not good enough when they miss either
Just Means Miles is just not good enough for AFL in 2018 and beyond

I just did a little analysis of all the centre bounces on Friday night - who attended, what happened, I present it without comment:

1st Q:
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Miles’ opponent Wingard pushes off him and wins clearance with Miles three metres behind him.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Miles dives on ball, secondary ball-up (should have been holding the ball according to the rules). Grigg wins subsequent clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Miles, Edwards. Scrappy, ball in dispute until Port sweeper off the back of the square wins it.

2nd Q:
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Caddy. Nank lays it down beautifully for Ryder, who wins clearance.
Nank, Caddy, Conca, Miles. Miles’ man Powell-Pepper starts level with him, pushes off and beats him to the ball by a clear metre. Conca confronts him but P-P handballs to Conca’s man Wines, who handballs to Caddy’s man Wingard (still next to centre circle), who boots it forward. Caddy had left Wingard to follow the initial tap and as such he was well clear.
Grigg, Cotch, Conca, Miles. Conca’s man Wines pushes off him and bursts 3m clear to win clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Conca, Miles. Miles’ man P-P gets the ball but is immediately tackled by Miles and Conca. Secondary ball-up. Tertiary ball-up. Byrnes-Jones wins scrappy clearance.
Nank, Caddy, Conca, Miles. Conca’s man P-P drops ball in Conca tackle, falls to Miles’ man Rockliff. Miles has gone ball-hunting and left him free. Rockliff handballs straight to Sheds but dumpire has called bullshit holding free against Conca. P-P wins gifted clearance.
Nank, Caddy, Edwards, Miles. Edwards’ man Rockliff gets short handball to Caddy’s man Wingard (Caddy left him again). Miles applies ineffective tackle, allowing Wingard to handball to Miles’ man Wines for clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Edwards, Miles. Miles dives on ball, handball to Cotch for clearance.
Nank, Cotch, Edwards, Conca. Edwards gets a bad bounce, his man Wines handballs to Cotch’s man Rockliff for clearance.

3rd Q:
Nank, Cotch, Grigg, Miles. P-P dives on the ball and throws it to Miles’ man Wines, who wins clearance.
Moore, Grigg, Caddy, Miles. Miles attacks nullified tap, as do Wingard, P-P and Miles’ man R.Gray, who taps it to advantage, bursts clear and boots long for clearance. Grigg and Caddy each two metres from contest, zero impact.
Caddy, Grigg, Cotch, Edwards. Caddy follows up his ruck work, handballs to Edwards who fumbles, ball bobbles around, Grigg handballs to Cotch for clearance.
Nank, Edwards, Grigg, Miles. Edwards anticipates the wrong way, Ryder knocks it down to his man Wingard who wins clearance.

4th Q:
Nank, Cotch, Grigg, Higgins. Grigg works Wines under ball, Ryder roves neutral ruck contest, handballs to Cotch’s man P-P who is metres clear, handpass to Higlet’s man R.Gray, back to Ryder, back to Gray, back to P-P who is tackled by Cotch but given six minutes to get his handball wide, Grimes off the ground, out of bounds.
Nank, Cotch, Caddy, Miles. Miles’ man Gray pushes off him and is a metre clear when Ryder lays one in his lap. He handballs to Caddy’s man Wingard who Caddy has again ignored while not impacting the contest. Wingard handpass to Rockliff off the back of the square, he chips it straight to Sheds.

Miles attended 15 centre bounces, won 0 clearances (1 clearance assist). His man got 4, plus an additional 3 first possessions.
Conca attended 9 centre bounces, won 0 clearances. His man got 2, plus 1 first possession.
Grigg attended 6 centre bounces (2 as ruckman), won 0 clearances (1 clearance assist). His man got 1, when he was in the ruck.
Caddy attended 9 centre bounces (1 as ruckman), won 0 clearances, got 1 first possession. His man got 1 clearance, 1 first possession and 2 chain possessions.
Nank attended 19 centre bounces, won 0 clearances. His man got 1 clearance, 1 clearance assist, 1 first possession, 1 chain possession.
Moore and Higgins attended 1 centre bounce each and didn’t bother the statistician. Higgo's bloke got 2 chain possessions.
Thanks for goin to the trouble with that, that's grouse

Agreed TI , And thanks to RatD for the breakdown but i think we already were well aware that apart from Cotchin we were 'KILLED' In the center

Our midfield is actually good and well balanced with skill/talent/speed But missing the size and consistant ball winner that is primarilry positioned in the middle as the main inside mid.

There does not appear to be this type of player available apart from Ollie Wines thats out of contract or a free agent and getting one through the draft will take a few years to develop, Not sure we can move a contracted player or if one is actually available that suits our need.

I really wanted Jack Steel from the Giants now Saints but as all players that go to the saints he has gone backwards, I wouldnt mind asking the question
But Bontempelli should be the man thats on our #1 Priority list or i know im going to hate myself for thinking this and i will probably need a smoke afterwards - Ben Cunnington

Agreed TI , And thanks to RatD for the breakdown but i think we already were well aware that apart from Cotchin we were 'KILLED' In the center

Our midfield is actually good and well balanced with skill/talent/speed But missing the size and consistant ball winner that is primarilry positioned in the middle as the main inside mid.

There does not appear to be this type of player available apart from Ollie Wines thats out of contract or a free agent and getting one through the draft will take a few years to develop, Not sure we can move a contracted player or if one is actually available that suits our need.

I really wanted Jack Steel from the Giants now Saints but as all players that go to the saints he has gone backwards, I wouldnt mind asking the question
But Bontempelli should be the man thats on our #1 Priority list or i know im going to hate myself for thinking this and i will probably need a smoke afterwards - Ben Cunnington
Nothing bloody wrong with Ben Cunnington.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we've got another inside mid in Vlaus.
I imagine this guy as our version of James Kelly at Geelong, he can play one on one defense and beat his opp, take contested marks, kick a goal and he's just turned 24.
He's smart, a footballer and can preform under pressure.
We got the best backline in the comp but we need a better midfield.

Not so sure on that. Are you saying Tom Mitchell is speedy off the mark?

I would be interested to see how Prestia would have gone in the set-up versus Port without Dusty tbh

I think we've got another inside mid in Vlaus.
I imagine this guy as our version of James Kelly at Geelong, he can play one on one defense and beat his opp, take contested marks, kick a goal and he's just turned 24.
He's smart, a footballer and can preform under pressure.
We got the best backline in the comp but we need a better midfield.
If you remember, it was tried but he couldn't perform anywhere near the level he does down back.

He's a backman.

1st Q:

2nd Q:

3rd Q:

4th Q:

Ha Ha, I am not sure how accurate this is but kudos for the effort.

What it highlights to me though, is something I have suspected for a while, Richmond really needs a inside ruck rover clearance bull De Goey/Fyfe style especially if we want Dusty as a forward threat at times and to extend Dusty's career and team effect longevity, not to mention giving Cotch a break!

Even if we draft some, Richmond needs a few more bigger taller mids in the mix going forward and the fact Grigg is not getting any younger only increases the need!! Obviously they are not easy to come buy especially with speed, power and quality being the flavour of recent years but even so that should be our primary target in my eyes.

De Goey with his explosiveness over 190cm shows how effective such a physical type of mid like this can be the other day! The fact some of these players like the Bont can be effective in the forward line as well, killing two birds with one stone for RFC, shows how invaluable this type of player would be in the Richmond team to assist Martin and Cotch not to mention the rest of the other team including our mobile flea fleet!!

Last edited:
If you remember, it was tried but he couldn't perform anywhere near the level he does down back.

He's a backman.
I remember he didn't stay in the midfield...not sure how much he played there.
It was before Caddy and Broad and Short and a different game plan.
I think he's one of our best decision makers and most reliable. He'll always gonna be a great defender but the trade period and draft only comes round once a year.

Even with hindsight Jack Graham that is was badly out of form and Miles was bashing the door down.
To suggest JGTI would suddenly recapture form against port is not the reality we faced.
I agree, on paper, with match ups etc, but on form the decision was understandable. Miles supporters on here were off their tree screaming for his inclusion. Didn’t work but I have some sympathy in that the whole unit broke down and higher credentialed names than Miles failed also.
Problem we have this week is the Holy Trinity plus Duncan could go to town on a slower mid like Miles. I think he’s in trouble. Maybe Graham comes in to sit on whoever gets dangerous for them, Dusty comes in to make the rest of them less inclined to run off ahead of the ball and Miles is the victim. Rioli probably turfs Higgins also.

to lose 2 big bodied mids in the same week against port one of which was dropped was stupidity

gee where are those posters that were talking our midfield up as the best in the comp.... we have 3 great mids and 2 are currently injured, and none are what I consider big mids..

to lose 2 big bodied mids in the same week against port one of which was dropped was stupidity

So you’re saying if Graham played he would’ve regained form and played a blinder and we’d have won?
And yet he couldn’t get near it vs Bombers who we smashed by 71? Saints?
But yep, would’ve turned form on it’s head against Port over there.
Right

Played on Wingard and got exposed in the areas that have been mentioned he is poor in. Slow on the spread, not accountable defensively and no real impact with his disposals.

Yep, I agree. He also butchered it a couple times going i50.

Still, it's only one game and his first in ages. I'd give him another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back