List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you wold get anywhere near 15 - 20 for Shai Bolton. Pick 29 from 2 years ago and has only played 8 games most of which were poor. early to late 30's maybe.
Brandon Ellis the same. Has been dropped a few times this season alone. likely 20 - 30
Townsend for a pick in the 35 - 50 range would be a steal though imo
Shai Bolton is a steal around this range,If he was to sign a new contract you wont find many that would trade him for that range,Has the potential to be the best out of all our smalls - Kid is really that talented i would hate to lose him but rumours around he may want to go back home.

Can we steal geelongs recruiting manager already.

Menegola pick 66
Tim kelly pick 24
Mark bilcavs pick 54 rookie draft
Harry taylor pick 17
Tom stewart pick 40

All mature aged talent.

Not to mention the duncans and guthries all second rd or later picks.

Stephen Wells is without a doubt the best in the business and has been for a very long time and with good reason, He is the major reason Cats have been so good for so long - Many Clubs have tried but he's cats through and through

Shai Bolton is a steal around this range,If he was to sign a new contract you wont find many that would trade him for that range,Has the potential to be the best out of all our smalls - Kid is really that talented i would hate to lose him but rumours around he may want to go back home.
I agree that he's talented but you can't tell me that his production at AFL level warrants him a pick 9 spots higher than he was drafted. he's only averaged 8 disposals and half a goal per game since he's played at AFL level.

I agree that he's talented but you can't tell me that his production at AFL level warrants him a pick 9 spots higher than he was drafted. he's only averaged 8 disposals and half a goal per game since he's played at AFL level.
Its ok we will trade him for mackenzie willis...it's like trading a pack of original chips for some salt vinegar chips.

You'd be lucky to get Rosa for Bolton no where near a 15-20 pick late second rounder at best

Brandon Ellis - Contracted 2019 - Pick Range #15-#25
Jacob Townsend
- Out of contract this year -Pick Range #35-#50
Shari Bolton
- Its Shai But also out of contract - Pick Range #15-#20
Sam Lloyd
- Out Of Contract - Free to good home
Anthony Miles -
Out of Contract - Free to good home
Ellis, Bolton and Townsend are all late 2nd - early 3rd round picks

I think GC should request extra 4 more spot for rookie list player and give state league mature players a chance.

You would think that is something the AFL and all the clubs could live with as every club would still get first crack at the best talent, and this would just give us better odds at finding AFL standard talent to improve the bottom end of our list, and give the NEAFL side access to a few more listed players each week.

You would think that is something the AFL and all the clubs could live with as every club would still get first crack at the best talent, and this would just give us better odds at finding AFL standard talent to improve the bottom end of our list, and give the NEAFL side access to a few more listed players each week.
Only bottom 4 team , if GC move out of bottom 4 , you will need to delist the players .

Perhaps if the club were to frame it in terms of being faced with delisting Harbrow, Barlow, Rischa and Rosa or gaining extra list spots to accommodate them and bring in 4 special category rookies who are mature aged and either undrafted or washed out after being drafted. If the list had 2 Nick Holmans and 1 played in the Seniors while the other played NEAFL you'd have both depth to cover injury and quality back ups playing alongside under 23 talent.

It might also mean a spot or 2 could be found for delisting candidates Leslie and Lonergan, who will be in the firing line because they aren't best 22 at their position and haven't played consistent enough footy to earn another chance. Some might say that they've had their chance, but they were regarded as first round talents when they were drafted and two more years in the system might be what it takes to turn them into first choice players. What it would definitely do is provide list protection against continually fielding the youngest AFL teams because our drafted players are getting blooded too soon and failing to develop in the NEAFL. Weekly competition for spots from fringe AFL players is what the Senior team needs and what the younger players require as they learn the craft.

Most of all, I wish the AFL would just double down on having a Reserves Comp, which would give early career players the opportunity to play regular footy against AFL talent. Perhaps most importantly, it would prolong the careers of players by a year or 3.

Only bottom 4 team , if GC move out of bottom 4 , you will need to delist the players .

Don't agree with that - 4 northern states should be allowed to keep the extra spots as compensation for our retention issues.

Maybe if a team makes the top 4 it should be peeled back the next year, and if they don't make top 4 they get the extra rookie spots back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree with that - 4 northern states should be allowed to keep the extra spots as compensation for our retention issues.

Maybe if a team makes the top 4 it should be peeled back the next year, and if they don't make top 4 they get the extra rookie spots back
Fair enough , I think 5- 8 team should only get 2 extra rookie sport . The only issue I had is if GC decided to keep Leslie and Lonergan and they still crap and injured all the time then is GC list management fault, got nothing to do with AFL then . All this players already been on the list sometime and been train in a full time environment compare to mature state league players .

Last edited:

Wonder if it would be possible to convince the Melb clubs that mini drafts for the bottom 4 each year would be the go.
Bottom 4 get access to any 17 year old that nominates for the mini draft. They come on a minimum 3 year deal, which releases them at 20, same as normal draftees but gives those bottom for an extra year to work on retention.
As they're less proven draftees it doesn't dilute the draft pool as much as priority picks but should aid the bottom 4 each year.

Kid exists outside the normal list until he signs his second contract and doesn't count towards the salary cap in his initial contract. All 4 recieve the same set 3 year deal. Club and player can renogiate at any time however as soon as a new deal is signed he takes up a list spot and cap room.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wonder if it would be possible to convince the Melb clubs that mini drafts for the bottom 4 each year would be the go.
Bottom 4 get access to any 17 year old that nominates for the mini draft. They come on a minimum 3 year deal, which releases them at 20, same as normal draftees but gives those bottom for an extra year to work on retention.
As they're less proven draftees it doesn't dilute the draft pool as much as priority picks but should aid the bottom 4 each year.

Kid exists outside the normal list until he signs his second contract and doesn't count towards the salary cap in his initial contract. All 4 recieve the same set 3 year deal. Club and player can renogiate at any time however as soon as a new deal is signed he takes up a list spot and cap room.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think the push is more to decrease draft age rather than let 17 yos get drafted. I think the clubs would be more against this as taking the top 4 17 yos is pretty much taking top 10 talent off next year's draft board. In the 90s / early 2000s each club could select one 17 yo pick (I believe the last time this was done was when Dangerfield was selected by the Crows when he was 17)

I would be happy to use the extra rookie list for mature talent that has been passed over in a couple of drafts and develops late. Effectively adds experience to bottom end of list and the other clubs can't say they never had a crack at these blokes if they have been passed over a couple of times.

TBH they should really increase the draft age to 19 or 20. Expecting 18 year olds to fall in to a completely professional system straight from high school is a lot. Have them play a year or 2 in local footy against men before they are picked up. Would increase the quality of local footy and possibly increase attendance numbers. Would also give them some idea of how to play against full grown men.

[
TBH they should really increase the draft age to 19 or 20. Expecting 18 year olds to fall in to a completely professional system straight from high school is a lot. Have them play a year or 2 in local footy against men before they are picked up. Would increase the quality of local footy and possibly increase attendance numbers. Would also give them some idea of how to play against full grown men.
I disagree , soccer plays 17 years old if they are good enough , is the list manager job to know their list , if you going to draft all skinny kids then the fault should be on them .

[

I disagree , soccer plays 17 years old if they are good enough , is the list manager job to know their list , if you going to draft all skinny kids then the fault should be on them .
Outside of Australia very rarely do 17 year olds play in the top flight, and if they do, it is usually in Cup games. games of little consequence.

Agree that the Draft age could be raised, however, there could be an argument for a mini-draft of 18 yos with a view to making it the centrepiece of a National Talent Academy system. AFL probably isn't ready for that yet, but it would be a great innovation that would help all teams, while protecting young players from being exposed before they are ready.

Outside of Australia very rarely do 17 year olds play in the top flight, and if they do, it is usually in Cup games. games of little consequence.
Dele alii ? Owen ? Walcott?Neymar ? Justin Kluveit?
Not including french , Spain and italy , Dutch league players ?
I thought all of them playing in AFL are 18 years old , Stephenson, Cerra , Rayner , bailey . If you said 17 years then I agree too young to play .

Last edited:
Dele alii ? Owen ? Walcott?Neymar ? Justin Kluveit?
Not including french , Spain and italy , Dutch league players ?
I thought all of them playing in AFL are 18 years old , Stephenson, Cerra , Rayner , bailey . If you said 17 years then I agree too young to play .
That is the elite of the elite. I wouldn't throw Walcott in there though :p

Also think about how many 17 year old players go into the football system and how many don't play early on.

Soccer players thrive off the type of game they play where physicality isn't as prevalent as footy. Look towards games like Basketball and NFL, where size and strength can play a huge part.

But this is all my opinion, I would love a year or 2 for players to mature as people and players outside of the AFL system.

That is the elite of the elite. I wouldn't throw Walcott in there though :p

Also think about how many 17 year old players go into the football system and how many don't play early on.

Soccer players thrive off the type of game they play where physicality isn't as prevalent as footy. Look towards games like Basketball and NFL, where size and strength can play a huge part.

But this is all my opinion, I would love a year or 2 for players to mature as people and players outside of the AFL system.
I agree but nobody stopping Clayton to draft Zac Langdon ( Claremont WAfL ), Oskar Baker (aspley neafl) and Fritsh (casey vfl )using second Rd instead of trading out to eagles .

Last edited:
Watching Bulldog game , what can Wallis dalhaus bring to GC , Lyons and Swallow , Miller ,florini can't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back