Preview Round 13 2018: Geelong v Richmond | MCG, Sun Jun 17 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still do not understand why Graham is omitted when he scored three goals in the Grand Final.
How long should that guarantee him a spot in the team? Surely form dictates whether he plays or not? I wasn't surprised that he was dropped, but it was the wrong game to do it.

I think we’ve really missed Prestia this season. Him and Lambert work beautifully together and adds that extra ounce of damage, class and versatility to our on ball unit.

If Prestia comes back, does Conca hold his spot? Both pick 6...

Anyway, Harrythetiger, that was a brilliant preview. I had a real hard think about that spoilerbefore I clicked. You got me.

On to the game. Is Gaz Selwood and Danger a more dangerous unit that Cotch, Dusty and Titch?

I liken the current Tigers (when on form) to the Diaz brothers in mma.

Not only are they really good at boxing and Jiujitsu, they also compete in triathlons when not in camp. So they have a much larger cardio base to work off which helps in the later rounds.

They make you run fight at fast pace the first round then when the second round happens, they start picking the pace up as digging those punches a little deeper.

That’s like Richmond. Teams want to beat us with pressure and we match it and start digging in when the legs get heavy.

It’ll be a gut running battle, the team that covers the territory best, is the team that wins this. It’s the G, and I reckon we got this.

Richmond by 43

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd have Prestia over Conca without even thinking hard about it. Prestia is an elite decision maker, Conca isn't.

I think it will be closer than that. Comes down to who takes their chances. Could be low scoring if wet.

Confident but we'd want to improve on last week, because if we bring that we'll get done.

We need to win this. Simple. Aside from Dusty, I don't care who comes in and who comes out.

We have shown this year that we struggle away from Melbourne against the top sides, so we cannot afford to miss the top 2 if we want a good shot at going back-to-back. Losing this week may result in a slippery slope with Sydney (ES) and GWS (Spotless) being included in the next 2/3 games, which are fixtures that we have lost last year.

Also, our MCG streak is currently sitting at 15 games, meaning that we need to only win three more MCG games (Against Geelong, Adelaide and Collingwood) to equal the longest MCG winning streak of 18 set by Melbourne during the 1959-1960 seasons. If we do that and then beat Geelong again as well, it would be the biggest MCG streak. Achieving this would start by winning this week so get those 4 points!

I'd have Prestia over Conca without even thinking hard about it. Prestia is an elite decision maker, Conca isn't.

I think it will be closer than that. Comes down to who takes their chances. Could be low scoring if wet.

Confident but we'd want to improve on last week, because if we bring that we'll get done.
I appreciate Conca's endeavour and his ability to win the ball. Unfortunately, when he makes a mistake it's an absolute howler.

If our inclusions this week are Martin and Rioli (and possibly Townsend and Garthwaite), the omissions will be very interesting. For various reasons, it could be any of Higgins, Menadue, Moore, Miles, Butler, McIntosh, Conca, Grigg, Broad or Ellis. None of these guys should feel safe. Although Miles would be the most hard done by as it was his first game back and he was probably in our best half dozen players. As we will still be a midfielder short even with Martin back in, surely Miles stays in. At least until Prestia returns.

Even then I'd probably take Miles over Conca anyway.

How long should that guarantee him a spot in the team? Surely form dictates whether he plays or not? I wasn't surprised that he was dropped, but it was the wrong game to do it.

Spot on with Graham. He was looking flat weeks ago. Shoulda rested him then and played him in Adelaide. That seemed like a no-brainer that the selectors got wrong.

I appreciate Conca's endeavour and his ability to win the ball. Unfortunately, when he makes a mistake it's an absolute howler.

If our inclusions this week are Martin and Rioli (and possibly Townsend and Garthwaite), the omissions will be very interesting. For various reasons, it could be any of Higgins, Menadue, Moore, Miles, Butler, McIntosh, Conca, Grigg, Broad or Ellis. None of these guys should feel safe. Although Miles would be the most hard done by as it was his first game back and he was probably in our best half dozen players. As we will still be a midfielder short even with Martin back in, surely Miles stays in. At least until Prestia returns.

Even then I'd probably take Miles over Conca anyway.
I like the look of our team with your 4 inclusions. We will be seeing Garth at the expense of an injured Astbury or Broad. I agree with Miles staying in until Prestia gets back. See how his game goes on a different venue. What is the weather forecast? Rain? Should benefit Miles.
Miles over Conca is an interesting debate, but the real worry is the underperforming wingers Menadue, McIntosh. We need more players who can find the football. If Kamdyn could be more like Grigg & get his hands on the footy I'd be happier. Next in line Markov is injured, poor bugger. Baker been playing well. Or try maybe play C Moore there for a couple of weeks. While Towno, Caddy play forward.

Last edited:
Graham’s second half against Essendon was very good. The decision to omit him was an incompetent one and reeked of getting ahead of ourselves.
Still pissed off we gifted Port a win.
They can atone by making the right selection decisions, respecting the opposition (which you could argue they didn't against Port), and pulling their finger out and winning the next 3 games.

Been playing like s**t for a month. Time to wake the f**k up!

We are in good shape. But the excuses I'm seeing are worrying me a tad. Every time we lose it was because we were crap and nothing to do with opposition. Crows crap, Eagles crap, Port crap. If we lose this week I assume it will be the same excuses rolled out.

Sounds a bit like the opposition against us last year. In the second half of last including into finals the opposition played crap against us....lol
Don’t you know, every team but Richmond are crap! :p

We are in good shape. But the excuses I'm seeing are worrying me a tad. Every time we lose it was because we were crap and nothing to do with opposition. Crows crap, Eagles crap, Port crap. If we lose this week I assume it will be the same excuses rolled out.

Sounds a bit like the opposition against us last year. In the second half of last including into finals the opposition played crap against us....lol
I get so used to other teams playing like crap against us so I figure that if we lose it simply must be because we played even crapper

They can atone by making the right selection decisions, respecting the opposition (which you could argue they didn't against Port), and pulling their finger out and winning the next 3 games.

Been playing like s**t for a month. Time to wake the f**k up!
I think it’s more about our consistency as the Essendon game was terrific, then we have these howlers every so often. The last five weeks last season our team remained unchanged, whereas this year it’s changes from week to week. Castagna should have had a run in the twos and it wouldn’t have been so disruptive. Instead we took out two midfield beasts and replaced them with a smaller mid and a small forward. Constantly changing the team will throw up inconsistencies and this is why we look different from week to week.

I get so used to other teams playing like crap against us so I figure that if we lose it simply must be because we played even crapper
Which is sometimes true. That said each loss this season has been put down to "we were due for a loss", "just one of those games", "they'll never play that good again", "it doesn't matter, we'll best them at the MCG in a final", etc.

If we get past our next 3 games I'll shut up about it, but we need to find some form or we'll be back in the pack.

Which is sometimes true. That said each loss this season has been put down to "we were due for a loss", "just one of those games", "they'll never play that good again", "it doesn't matter, we'll best them at the MCG in a final", etc.

If we get past our next 3 games I'll shut up about it, but we need to find some form or we'll be back in the pack.
I think we've been way out of form recently, but I don't think thats any sort of disaster. It's a long season and we can't possibly stay up all year - we're treading water which is about what we did this time last year. Except last year we usually had one brilliant quarter and 3 poor quarters, now we have 1 poor quarter and 3 good quarters. We're playing like a 5-8 team at the moment. With key players like Martin, Rioli, Houli, Prestia hopefully starting to come back in from this week, we will improve significantly. Maybe I'm looking at things a bit too rosily.
We do need to win at least 3 of our next 4 though I reckon, just to keep ourselves out of the pack below us. Hit the back end of the year at 12-4 or even 13-3 and we'll be primed. 17-18 wins will probably be enough for top spot, and at the very least top 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were 9-3 and have won 4 of our last 6, 6 of last 8, 8 of last 10, i don't know what peoples expectations are but sheesh, did you not expect us to lose this year or hit a flat patch which every club goes through. Did you miss 2 weeks ago when we smashed the bombers by 12 goals.

9-3 2nd spot and best percentage in the league, at this stage i'll take that thanks and look forward to defeating the puddy tats on sunday.

Just enjoy the ride and stop over thinking things.

Were 9-3 and have won 4 of our last 6, 6 of last 8, 8 of last 10, i don't know what peoples expectations are but sheesh, did you not expect us to lose this year or hit a flat patch which every club goes through. Did you miss 2 weeks ago when we smashed the bombers by 12 goals.

9-3 2nd spot and best percentage in the league, at this stage i'll take that thanks and look forward to defeating the puddy tats on sunday.

Just enjoy the ride and stop over thinking things.
You're the one that comes on here every week telling us you have no fear of losing.:think::D

Cats hit form last two weeks , we are still bit up and down from week to week , but will be same rest of the year play to our potential and we will win , if we play anything like we did quarter 2,3,4 against port and we will lose easily.

You're the one that comes on here every week telling us you have no fear of losing.:think::D
I have no fear of losing, i think we will win every match we play it's how i roll but i also know we wont win every match. If 9-3 2nd spot and best percentage is out of form then we have a lot to look forward to this year don't we considering most teams around us on the ladder out playing out of their skins at the moment.

Cats hit form last two weeks , we are still bit up and down from week to week , but will be same rest of the year play to our potential and we will win , if we play anything like we did quarter 2,3,4 against port and we will lose easily.
We won qts 3 and 4 didn't we while restricting port to 1 goal but if we play like we did vs the bombers we should win right.

Geelong will probably try to replicate how they played against NM.
They started out of the blocks very quickly, playing Ablett in defence. Dangerfield in the forward line.
If they are in front then they move Dangerfield towards the midfield to secure the lead.
Ablett and Dangerfield have been prone to injuries and are vulnerable.
Dangerfield had a hip injury in the finals.
That is why I would like to see Graham crunch Ablett like he went to Sloane in the Grand Final.

We won qts 3 and 4 didn't we while restricting port to 1 goal but if we play like we did vs the bombers we should win right.

Yeah true , but still didn’t play well enough , picking the ball up and kicking blindly into forward line doesent work . Cats defence far better than ports at moment we just have to be smarter going forward .

Yep last week we really had control of that game for most of it, and didn't capitalise on it. To Port's credit that was partly due to them not gifting us opportunities other sides do. They were really disciplined. That 5min burst where they kicked those 4 goals was very poor on our part, but I do wonder if Astbury being off injured for effectively 3 of the 4 goals played a part. If we are level instead of 20pts down at half time it's a different game, we force Port to win the game rather than save it, and that's where the gifts come from.
We do have to stop going completely to sleep for such periods, as we saw pretty clearly they will lose us games, but I'm not sure the entire performance against Port was bad.

I have no fear of losing, i think we will win every match we play it's how i roll but i also know we wont win every match. If 9-3 2nd spot and best percentage is out of form then we have a lot to look forward to this year don't we considering most teams around us on the ladder out playing out of their skins at the moment.
Sounds hypocritical to me and weird considering you're now questioning others with comments like the one below. Just bc you roll like that in backing us as winners with no real certainty with your opinion, it shouldn't deter others from having their own:

" i don't know what peoples expectations are but sheesh, did you not expect us to lose this year or hit a flat patch which every club goes through"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back