Tom Rockliff

Remove this Banner Ad

Our midfield appeara to have changed heaps thanks to Rocliff.
We have gone from playing to a losing ruck with flair to a maul and chip over the top and now with Rocliff and Wingard clicking, to finally having a decent ruck plus taking it away from a maul with flair and smarts.

The second quarter last week plus most of last night has been a pleasure to watch and the best part is that even though it's predictable, from an ipposition perspective it is also hard to stop as it cannot be stopped by tagging just one or two players.

Our midfield appeara to have changed heaps thanks to Rocliff.
We have gone from playing to a losing ruck with flair to a maul and chip over the top and now with Rocliff and Wingard clicking, to finally having a decent ruck plus taking it away from a maul with flair and smarts.

The second quarter last week plus most of last night has been a pleasure to watch and the best part is that even though it's predictable, from an ipposition perspective it is also hard to stop as it cannot be stopped by tagging just one or two players.
Now to fix the forwards mess

His kick is so underrated as well. Yes he doesn’t have a piercing boot, but he always hits a target and makes very smart kicks. He always takes the time to make sure he hits a target, instead of just bombing away. He has an uncanny talent of dropping it into a hole to our players advantage.

A handy recruit to say the least:)

Rocky is an absolute gem. Seriously love how he goes about everything - in/under. Head 'in the hole' as Timmy G always emphasises.

I think I love this bloke.

I grew up watching players like Timmy Ginever and Stephen Williams who while not the most talented players, just consistently did the basics well all the time.

Tom, while more talented than those players, is hard at it all of the time, composed and just does the basics right again, again and again.

Heard the post match with Rockliff yesterday and feel genuinely happy for him. Big move to come to Port Adelaide at this stage of his career and knows there was pressure to perform, but we should also acknowledge that PAFC had pressure to deliver success for him as well.
He is waking up now performing a pivotal role in a team sitting second on the ladder, hopefully a top four / top two finish and home finals in front of 50k+ to come with a realistic shot at a premiership. Wouldn't have dreamt this twelve months ago.
And we know he won't take it for granted.

Such a good recruit. He knows how to find the ball and thinks through every disposal even with a nanosecond to react. And his personality and character so important in building a team-first culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a good recruit. He knows how to find the ball and thinks through every disposal even with a nanosecond to react. And his personality and character so important in building a team-first culture.
Every time I see Rocliff in the middle I cannot but think of the positive influence he will have on the development of the younger players such as SPP.

Rebuilds like Melbourne did and we did as well to some extent in 2010 and 2011 by getting games into youngsters really do not work as well as having youngsters learning alongside good experienced players.

Every time I see Rocliff in the middle I cannot but think of the positive influence he will have on the development of the younger players such as SPP.

Rebuilds like Melbourne did and we did as well to some extent in 2010 and 2011 by getting games into youngsters really do not work as well as having youngsters learning alongside good experienced players.

Exactly. This is why the Carltons and Suns of the AFL will continue to struggle for a while yet. Without leadership on-field, it doesn't matter what plan is in place, regardless of how talented some youngsters might be.

Like Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Rocky went under the knife at exactly the same time last year but that was when he was on Brisbane’s list still and they knew he was leaving. Perhaps they only did a cursory job knowing that.
I am counting on us having better surgeons and procedures in SA ;)
He clearly wasn’t this year... and if it’s more invasive, how on earth will he recover faster than he did this year?

Yet we gave him big money and long terms... will he ever get back to anywhere near his best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocky went under the knife at exactly the same time last year but that was when he was on Brisbane’s list still and they knew he was leaving. Perhaps they only did a cursory job knowing that.
Or his shoulder is toast like Hombsch's hips and will need continuing surgeries to continue playing.

Ludicrous comment. No ethical, self-respecting surgeon would do anything but their utmost for their patient. Hippocratic Oath etc.

Draft, I meant to use sarcastically font, although sometimes surgeons do the least amount of surgery required and up the anti if that isn’t successful.

You are making less sense now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back