Opinion David King rates Essendon's season F thus far - what do you think?

Remove this Banner Ad

An F would only be valid if we were out of contention. We're still a chance of making the finals, would hardly call the season a write off yet.
We’re a mathematical chance of making the finals. I’ve looked at our draw and I reckon we’ll end up on 8-9 wins.

We deserve every bit of that F.

The point I would make about King giving us an 'F' is that his working back from his expectation that we would win the premiership. So it's only natural that there would be an equally stupid overcorrection.

Is the reason we are getting an 'F" because we have been stuffing around for the last five weeks refusing to accept the inevitable, or is it because we're not sitting on top of the ladder? It's clearly something closer to the latter.

Don't mistake me for thinking that our season would rate more than a 'D' at this stage but it's for reasons that David King will need a year's worth of hindsight and some Champion Data statistics to figure out.

The point I would make about King giving us an 'F' is that his working back from his expectation that we would win the premiership. So it's only natural that there would be an equally stupid overcorrection.

Is the reason we are getting an 'F" because we have been stuffing around for the last five weeks refusing to accept the inevitable, or is it because we're not sitting on top of the ladder? It's clearly something closer to the latter.

Don't mistake me for thinking that our season would rate more than a 'D' at this stage but it's for reasons that David King will need a year's worth of hindsight and some Champion Data statistics to figure out.

he was marking against his expectations

if somebody predicted us to finish 14th we get a resounding pass - a

I initially had us finishing 10th. So I guess if we continue our better form we will end up there and it will be a D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I initially had us finishing 10th. So I guess if we continue our better form we will end up there and it will be a D
yeah, i’d take the D. i’d take that D anytime.

An F would only be valid if we were out of contention. We're still a chance of making the finals, would hardly call the season a write off yet.
Losing to a winless Carlton who are still without a win after that is an automatic F for me. Fremantle was the only normal "I can take that" loss. The rest were all really bad performances.
F is a fair assessment IMO

Last edited:
An F assumes there was no good to go with the bad. Our bad was terrible but we've had a few decent wins which pulls it back somewhat.

I'd give the season a D+ at this point, the + being for wins against decent sides in Port, Geelong and GWS. I'm not including Adelaide in that as we played a significantly weakened side.

Going on results at The Gabba, our win there is decent. It's Brisbane's 2nd biggest loss for the year there only behind Melbourne who won by 26. They've also played Sydney (18 point loss), Hawthorn (56 point win), Collingwood (7 point loss), Gold Coast (5 point loss) there so ignoring Gold Coast, it's not like they've played against spuds.

but we've had a few decent wins which pulls it back somewhat.
In isolation the GWS and Geelong wins were glimpses of what this team CAN do if they bring it. The Brisbane win was rubbish and the rest of it has been crap from a team perspective. Absolute crap. The fact that we know they can play like they did against Geelong and GWS if they feel like it just makes it that more annoying. Our standards seem to be so low it's laughable.

In isolation the GWS and Geelong wins were glimpses of what this team CAN do if they bring it. The Brisbane win was rubbish and the rest of it has been crap from a team perspective. Absolute crap. The fact that we know they can play like they did against Geelong and GWS if they feel like it just makes it that more annoying. Our standards seem to be so low it's laughable.

We annihilated Brisbane in everything except for kicking the ball through the right set of sticks. They missed a few too but most of their misses were tough shots. We missed one utter sitter after another. There were probably half a dozen that a team would be disappointed if they missed one, we missed all of them.

All of that is concerning but it does seem as though we have latched on to a good game plan at the very least. And if we move Hooker forward in the absence of Daniher we would go a long way to sorting out our other big problem of not bringing the ball to ground in the forward 50. I would have thought we are now well covered for quality marking players in the defensive 50 so I don't see how he is needed there.

Annoying, yes, but you don't mark the team down as if the games didn't happen. They did, and that's what brings it up couple of notches.

Annoying, yes, but you don't mark the team down as if the games didn't happen. They did, and that's what brings it up couple of notches.
That's fine if you want to grade it that way, each to his own etc. For me, in the context of the season, those wins mean absolutely nothing except picking us all up the next few losses. It looks like we'll miss finals and that is most definitely an F for this group.

That's fine if you want to grade it that way, each to his own etc. For me, in the context of the season, those wins mean absolutely nothing except picking us all up the next few losses. It looks like we'll miss finals and that is most definitely an F for this group.

I'm not sure I agree with that; missing finals is an underwhelming outcome, but if we blood 4 - 6 quality young players that significantly improves our best 22 for next year, then I wouldn't say it's a complete failure.

To me; if we're playing a team of senior players, with a flawed gameplan, missing finals, losing games, without giving the kids performing in the VFL opportunity at AFL level; then that's an F.

An F is a season where you take absolutely nothing out of, I don't think we're at that point given the past month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back