2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry I forgot Adrian fletcher is also a selector. He is the Queensland talent manager.
I know of four of the five vic clubs, Geelong, Collingwood, st kilda and Melbourne.
There is no nsw based selector on the panel.

Five Melbourne clubs help pick the Allies?!!! Wow, I never knew that. Why do they have a say when other clubs don’t?

More importantly why isn't the coaches and development staff from each state that participated in the academy series involved in the selection? Wtf do 5 melbourne based clubs have to do with it? And who picks those 5? Perhaps whoever turns up for a coffee with Gil? Do these reps even turn up to all the games? Now having Eddie the idiot anywhere near the very creation he considers evil (the academy's) is a real problem IMO even if only a representative from his club. The word 'agenda' springs to mind. The continuation of the academies is dependent upon their success in creating a wider pool which itself is dependent upon representation at the draft a product of U18 championships. Mmmmm.

So I presume that the 5 clubs are designed to keep the states honest so we don't 'hide' players. Yet these idiots limit Swans representation to 6 when we won 4 of 5, 5 of 5 previous year. Gws who we thrashed gets 11! And first game of the u18 series none of the swans players were picked which the allies duly won 71-48 against Vic country. Came second losing only one game and not one player in top 22 of allies!!!

I'm beginning to get the picture and it's not a nice one.

More importantly why isn't the coaches and development staff from each state that participated in the academy series involved in the selection? Wtf do 5 melbourne based clubs have to do with it? And who picks those 5? Perhaps whoever turns up for a coffee with Gil? Do these reps even turn up to all the games? Now having Eddie the idiot anywhere near the very creation he considers evil (the academy's) is a real problem IMO even if only a representative from his club. The word 'agenda' springs to mind. The continuation of the academies is dependent upon their success in creating a wider pool which itself is dependent upon representation at the draft a product of U18 championships. Mmmmm.

So I presume that the 5 clubs are designed to keep the states honest so we don't 'hide' players. Yet these idiots limit Swans representation to 6 when we won 4 of 5, 5 of 5 previous year. Gws who we thrashed gets 11! And first game of the u18 series none of the swans players were picked which the allies duly won 71-48 against Vic country. Came second losing only one game and not one player in top 22 of allies!!!

I'm beginning to get the picture and it's not a nice one.
The saddest thing is that there are academy kids who have worked and sacrificed for years to try to get drafted. They get caught up in this crap and overlooked. For example bailey Stewart dominated in the academy games he played then went on to be the neafl rising star nominee, followed by a best on ground the following week in the neafl, yet still not good enough. This is a kid who has run a sub 10minute 3km for years so is well known as elite.
Then there is sam Wicks who someone posted as having got in the best players in 8 out of the 10 academy games. Also a neafl rising star. Completely overlooked as well.
I think the system stinks.

The saddest thing is that there are academy kids who have worked and sacrificed for years to try to get drafted. They get caught up in this crap and overlooked. For example bailey Stewart dominated in the academy games he played then went on to be the neafl rising star nominee, followed by a best on ground the following week in the neafl, yet still not good enough. This is a kid who has run a sub 10minute 3km for years so is well known as elite.
Then there is sam Wicks who someone posted as having got in the best players in 8 out of the 10 academy games. Also a neafl rising star. Completely overlooked as well.
I think the system stinks.

Absolutely kids get hurt and that disgusts me!!!!!! ........and makes me irate!!!!!! Totally unacceptable.

The way I read the rookie rules if a player isn't in the draft or rookie draft (eg bailey stewart and Sam wicks) they are able to be picked as Rookie list B players by us from our zone of which we can only have 3. That is how Bell and Brown were added.

Still what happens is that the younger fringe players may drop out if they get a sense the pathway is polluted with politics as it seemingly is. Why stay if my chances to get to swans on equal basis doesn't exist? Damaging

Yes I can see Eddies mark all over this I'm afraid

Sorry I forgot Adrian fletcher is also a selector. He is the Queensland talent manager.
I know of four of the five vic clubs, Geelong, Collingwood, st kilda and Melbourne.
There is no nsw based selector on the panel.
I get that Fletcher is a selector, isn’t he the coach of the Allies? However, the more I think about those five Melbourne clubs the more outrageous it seems. Why the hell should they have a say? As puke says, why don’t all the Div 2 sides have a say in selection?

It also begs the question, who selects the other Div 1 sides from the “traditional” States? Independent selectors or do some AFL clubs also have a say?

Perhaps the selectors see it as a chance to show off kids for the draft and figure any of the decent swans academy players will be picked up by the Swans so don't bother picking them. If that's the case then it's not good.

Perhaps the selectors see it as a chance to show off kids for the draft and figure any of the decent swans academy players will be picked up by the Swans so don't bother picking them. If that's the case then it's not good.
The problem with that is that the boy is entirely dependent on being what the Swans need that particular year. If the Swans are looking for talls, or a quick outside player and the boy happens to be a small inside player they might be stuffed. The Swans might not want/need them and no other club will have them on their radar.

In effect, all a boy’s eggs are in one basket, whereas other boys from other states might have multiple baskets!

The problem with that is that the boy is entirely dependent on being what the Swans need that particular year. If the Swans are looking for talls, or a quick outside player and the boy happens to be a small inside player they might be stuffed. The Swans might not want/need them and no other club will have them on their radar.

In effect, all a boy’s eggs are in one basket, whereas other boys from other states might have multiple baskets!
Yeah I totally agree, but trying to work out why they aren't giving our young guys the exposure.

The way I read the rookie rules if a player isn't in the draft or rookie draft (eg bailey stewart and Sam wicks) they are able to be picked as Rookie list B players by us from our zone of which we can only have 3. That is how Bell and Brown were added.

Still what happens is that the younger fringe players may drop out if they get a sense the pathway is polluted with politics as it seemingly is. Why stay if my chances to get to swans on equal basis doesn't exist? Damaging

Yes I can see Eddies mark all over this I'm afraid

hummmm

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

Only draft-eligible club Academy players who were nominated by their club at the designated time and played in the National Championships are eligible to be pre-selected as a Category B rookie.

hummmm

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

Only draft-eligible club Academy players who were nominated by their club at the designated time and played in the National Championships are eligible to be pre-selected as a Category B rookie.

Thx for that. Appreciated.

That then explains the non selection. No matter how highly they are valued by swans if the players aren't in the allies squad then they can't be selected as category B nor will they be in draft or rookie draft. Where does that leave Wicks?

That then explains the non selection. No matter how highly they are valued by swans if the players aren't in the allies squad then they can't be selected as category B nor will they be in draft or rookie draft. Where does that leave Wicks?
Wicks should still qualify as NSW zone selection

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Not quite. “National Championships” includes the Division 2 comp that the Swans and other Academies play in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the main board to see thoughts on swans representation in allies. The consensus of non swans is it's about right. Why? Two reasons:

- we are a one player team and all the players are there just to provide support to Blakey; and

- form isn't any criteria for selection. Rather it's the desirability of the player as a draft prospect.

There are 18 in a team 22 with interchanges. Boy Blakey must be one exceptional player then......

Apparently NSW must consistently produce players of odd shapes and sizes.......not your usual teenager at all and different to all other states. Consistently less desirable draft prospects it seems.

Nonsense both

Went to the main board to see thoughts on swans representation in allies. The consensus of non swans is it's about right. Why? Two reasons:

- we are a one player team and all the players are there just to provide support to Blakey; and

- form isn't any criteria for selection. Rather it's the desirability of the player as a draft prospect.

There are 18 in a team 22 with interchanges. Boy Blakey must be one exceptional player then......

Apparently NSW must consistently produce players of odd shapes and sizes.......not your usual teenager at all and different to all other states. Consistently less desirable draft prospects it seems.

Nonsense both
The Swans academy is a bit of a schrodingers cat isn't it? Creates an unfair advantage to the Swans with all the top end talent we're producing while at the same time producing no players who are of a desirable drafting prospect

It must be confusing for the kids!
“I just destroyed my opponent from gws, yet he got in allies and I didn’t.”
“I just kicked four goals and had 20 touches in the neafl and got a rising star, yet some other kid in brisbane neafl gets about 10 touches and gets into allies”

"The media is talking up Blakey so that we need to pay overs for him, VFL/media conspiracy"

"The media is not talking up Swans academy players and leaving them out of rep sides, reducing their value, VFL/media conspiracy"

"The media is talking up Blakey so that we need to pay overs for him, VFL/media conspiracy"

"The media is not talking up Swans academy players and leaving them out of rep sides, reducing their value, VFL/media conspiracy"
They are just opinions mate.
Don't get worked up.
IMO I think the club don't let players go if they really rate them.
We want Blakey so we'll pay what he's worth in the market.
I wouldn't think he'd go below 5 with 8-12 being my tip.

The NSWACT Rams U17s and U16s played today with both winning comfortably. I didn’t attend but judging by the quarter by quarter scores it looks like neither were really challenged. For the Under 17s they seem to have moved Swans boy Josh Rayner from his usual CHB position to CHF judging from his five goals. Also it appears that Luke Parks has maintained his good Swans U18s form. The Rams also rested a few of the other Swans boys who played in the U18s so expect some of them to be rotated in over the next couple of games (against Qld and Vic).

U17 FUTURES
GAME 1

The Rams were too strong over the 4 quarters for Tasmania, running home with a 49 point win:

NSW/ACT RAMS - 14:11:95
TASMANIA - 7:4:46

GOALS - Rayner 5, Barling 3, Kendall 2, Edwards, Thorne, Conlan, Pope

BEST - Parks, Rayner, Barling, Edwards, Thorne, Whyte, Bayliss

U16 NATIONALS
Game 1

A solid 10 goal win to the Rams over NT, to kick off the U16 National Championships:

‪NSW/ACT - 16:9:105
NT - 6:7:43

GOALS - Gulden 5, Cullen 2, Steele 2, Eynaud 2, Monaghan, Wilson, Roseby, Dunstan, Dignam

BEST - Wilson, Gulden, Pfrengle, Roseby, Steele, Cullen, Gabilla

DO we know who on this list is in our academy?

There is clearly a problem with the recognition of swans players via selection into allies. The data is without question. We are trying to understand why. There is not a conspiracy rather the structure of the allies selection process is working against our academy players to their detriment. The structure is creating bias and needs to be changed.

Supporters from other clubs that want to sook about the nsw and qld academies need to check out the rules that apply to the next generation academies that every other club gets.

My son has been invited to try out for the freo academy under the multicultural background initiative. He qualifies simply because my wife was born overseas. He was born in Australia, lived his whole life here and has played footy since Auskick.

Under these guidelines current afl players like nic nat, dusty, savage etc etc would have been eligible to be selected to academy they're zoned to.

Talk about evening things up pretty quickly, will be interested to see if McGuire and co still complain about academies when the next Dusty gets drafted to their respective clubs under this system.

DO we know who on this list is in our academy?
Do you mean who in the named goal scorers and best are Swans boys? If so, yep, Swans boys from the 17s in those names include:
Josh Rayner
Jacko Barling
Sam Thorne
Luke Parks

From the 16s:
Errol Gulden
Sam Eynaud
Cooper Wilson
Pierce Roseby
Hamish Dunstan
Mark Dignam
Kyle Pfrengle