Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Yes Hobart were struggling off field as a club before they were granted a licence to enter the TSL in late 2008.
From memory they had only 28 financial members, the club was very split over the forced change to Hobart Lions and it all wound up with nobody going to watch them.
On field they were adequate, but not one of the top teams.
The carrot to join the TSL was the return of the club to being known as the Tigers which helped the club a lot.
Crowds and membership grew by a lot, the club didn't have a lot of money at all but were backed by the Sports Club which were very financial at the time.
By the time we played our final season of TSL football it was patently obvious that we weren't strong enough at that level any longer.
Went through a revolving door of players, hardly won a game at either level and lost around $300,000 in the last four years for virtually nothing.
Our crowds were still a lot bigger than they are now in the SFL but at least in the SFL we can stay afloat as a club.
The decision to leave the TSL and return to the SFL in 2014 was a no-brainer, we had to as we would've gone under either by way of a merger or gone altogether, we aren't a big club like we were in the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's and that is the reality.

Also was good that South Launceston did the same when the members rejected a merger with Prospect and a ten year License deal (Poor Prospect lasted only three of those ten years),

Although on the other Hand South Launceston one of the only successful Mergers of Senior Clubs in Tasmania with the merging of East Launceston and City South back in 1986?, so maybe if the vote went the other way the merged Prospect/South Launnie team might of lasted longer than a stand alone Prospect who rose a few divisions to SWL status, and after the first season when most of the old Bulldogs players left it was always headed to the outhouse.

Last edited:
Tipping results

Halftimehero 2 = 26
Grey Budgie 2 = 25
Mudmug 2 = 25
Gibbke 3 = 23
Whowants2know 2 = 22

Glenorchy
Clarence
Lauderdale

South Launceston has won 6 flags (1 TFL, 2 NTFL and 3 NTFA), by the way, not 5 as the article states. Do we get to count City's 30, East's 1 and South's 6 as 37 flags, which would make us Tasmania's most successful team...? Do I even get to say "we" when referring to City-South...?!?

Glenorchy
Clarence
Lauderdale

South Launceston has won 6 flags (1 TFL, 2 NTFL and 3 NTFA), by the way, not 5 as the article states. Do we get to count City's 30, East's 1 and South's 6 as 37 flags, which would make us Tasmania's most successful team...? Do I even get to say "we" when referring to City-South...?!?

Hi Gibbke are you old enough to remember the merger?
In the article from the Examiner from September 2016 (link below)Graeme Wilkinson and Brian Hardman are quoted as saying the merger was acrimonious at the time.

"City-South moved their home base from York Park to Youngtown Oval in 1972 and built the club facilities and bar now enjoyed by South Launceston.The club incurred a significant debt in the process and was basically told by Tasmanian Football League officials in Hobart, who ran state football at the time, that if they merged with East Launceston the debt would be wiped."

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/4184732/a-forgotten-footy-club/

Hi Gibbke are you old enough to remember the merger?
In the article from the Examiner from September 2016 (link below)Graeme Wilkinson and Brian Hardman are quoted as saying the merger was acrimonious at the time.

"City-South moved their home base from York Park to Youngtown Oval in 1972 and built the club facilities and bar now enjoyed by South Launceston.The club incurred a significant debt in the process and was basically told by Tasmanian Football League officials in Hobart, who ran state football at the time, that if they merged with East Launceston the debt would be wiped."

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/4184732/a-forgotten-footy-club/

City-South opened the states first fully licensed football club social club at Youngtown in about 1969. I know the second such facility was built at KGV by Glenorchy soon after that. ( Bye the bye, North Hobart had plans to follow suit, but stupidly never went on with it, until much later. Unfortunately they just built on the Argyle st Grandstand, it was not run well enough & parking was limited by the council, it failed to attract the use it should have & went bust. The original plan was to build on top of the Bowls club on Letitia st & would have been a bigger & more functional area for parking etc, anyway, ;))

If City-South Amalgamated with East Launceston to wipe some debt, it was done by them not the TFL. They may have amalgamated so as to join the TFL in 1986, but again, that would have been their own choice. City-South chose their own direction to amalgamate with East, then to join the TSL 1 as it was in 1986, as South Launceston.

As I recollect, City had the players & facility at Youngtown, East had a good junior program & were much more financial. Maybe the TFL encouraged what seemed a sensible move, but East & City made that move.
Clearly the same sort of scenario between Hobart & NHFC was rejected & both have survived.

East Launceston, like Sandy Bay, could come back into being, if people wanted it to.

Anyway, it was an interesting time for football.

I was 16 when it happened, and I used to go regularly to York Park to see my cousin Michael Gibbons play for the Demons before the SW league. My brother has always bragged that the 1983 half back line featured him on one side and Doug Barwick on the other (it was in practice matches!). Definitely would have preferred they stayed autonomous, but reality bites. City needed bucks, we needed credibility. Those first 7 games in the TFL were hard - couldn't get the numbers to training amidst real angst from City and Longford, who were pretty indignant at being East's feeder clubs, and little mishaps like their jumpers not arriving - their first three games were played wearing Tasmanian state training guernseys with Puma written on the front. The intended jumper was pretty cool though - red with blue trims and an ELFC emblem on the front. Beat Hobart in their very first game, and beat North before the merger...also beat North Hobart as South Launceston later on to make it 3 wins and a spoon for 1986. Not sure why East got the nod to join North, but City's finances and Launceston's rogue tendencies (there was a huge row in 1985 all year between them and the NTFA over sponsorship, which led to their reserves being disqualified for the GF despite winning the PF, and they rubbed in their senior premiership win pretty hard to everyone) might have done it. East never spent and therefore never succeeded - a trait they took to South Launceston...! The merger itself was kept under wraps until almost the day it happened - East got into the TFL as a solo act, and City weren't anywhere near it until the season had already started...

Glenorchy's clubrooms were built in 1968 at KGV.
Hobart opened up their clubrooms underneath the Powell Pascoe Payne Stand in 1971, they had big plans to build a members viewing area and everything on top of the current changerooms by 1971 but it still hasn't been built and likely never will be (those rooms are to be demolished anyway).
They drew up these big plans to build a proper social club facility at the northern end of the TCA Ground just near that old groundsman's cottage, right behind the goals in 1976 but never got Council approval.
New Norfolk built their social club on that parcel of land next to the railway yards behind the big trees at Boyer Oval in August 1972, still there today.
That North Hobart Social Club in the back of the Horrie Gorringe Stand was opened late in the 1991 season, I sat in the seats it took over when Hobart played North Launceston that year, next home game we were playing Burnie Hawks, went to sit there and the whole lot was blocked off.
They were great rooms those, absolute waste now and looks terribly run down.
The SFL plays their grand final there every year and could run their bar there and make it their HQ or something. Terrible waste.

What year did Youngtown Oval get built and start being used?

Gibbke, I remember East coming into the TFL!
I recall Hobart had been wooden spooners for years in the TFL leading into 1986 but according to the Hobart president at the time, the club had over $100k in the bank and were the richest club in the league but the TFL tried to axe them and New Norfolk and he played their bluff and kept Hobart in it.
East got the nod over City-South purely because East played out of York Park and that was deemed the best ground in the North and they were quite financial at the time according to press articles I read down the years (that article posted earlier refutes that but who knows).
In the pre-season East met Hobart in a practice match at York Park and Hobart absolutely smashed them, I think Baldy Fox kicked about 20!
Come Round 1 at KGV we were all sitting up in the Anfield Street Stand rubbing our hands together at the thought we might be on top with a big percentage (after round 1 at least lol).
East comes running out in this Puma uniform in State colours.
Stone silence in the stand as East gets 49 points up in the second quarter!
Tigers went beserk and end up hitting the front with about a minute to go and East go down the other end and a soccered goal off the back of the pack wins it for your boys with about 10 seconds left!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glenorchy's clubrooms were built in 1968 at KGV.
Hobart opened up their clubrooms underneath the Powell Pascoe Payne Stand in 1971, they had big plans to build a members viewing area and everything on top of the current changerooms by 1971 but it still hasn't been built and likely never will be (those rooms are to be demolished anyway).
They drew up these big plans to build a proper social club facility at the northern end of the TCA Ground just near that old groundsman's cottage, right behind the goals in 1976 but never got Council approval.
New Norfolk built their social club on that parcel of land next to the railway yards behind the big trees at Boyer Oval in August 1972, still there today.
That North Hobart Social Club in the back of the Horrie Gorringe Stand was opened late in the 1991 season, I sat in the seats it took over when Hobart played North Launceston that year, next home game we were playing Burnie Hawks, went to sit there and the whole lot was blocked off.
They were great rooms those, absolute waste now and looks terribly run down.
The SFL plays their grand final there every year and could run their bar there and make it their HQ or something. Terrible waste.

What year did Youngtown Oval get built and start being used?

I asked my magpie mate, he said he thought KGV was built in 1969 & opened about 1970, & was expanded in about 1980. He remembers it was actually the 2nd social club on KGV. The first was actually an old Hydo building that was brought in in pieces & put together in around 1960. It was a temporary sort of thing. So their current new $8million rooms are actually the 3rd lot built on KGV!! They certainly look ok. I understand they do well with functions & bingo. No money in football anymore. :(

He also remembers City-South had the first real social clubrooms built & operating a year or 2 prior to the brick one recently pulled down at KGV.

Also I recall that Clarence were refused permission to build rooms on Bellerive back in the late 1970s or early 1980's, so bought the old Clarence RSL building up the road in Pechey street. I think that went broke so they sold them. I remember someone saying the problem was that drunks wouldn't walk up the hill after games. ;)

New Norfolks rooms were built for them by ANM newsprint at Boyer. When the pokies first came in NN spent a heap to set up for them but things didn't go well. Apparently it cost too much to have them they & made SFA off them. I think it did them a lot of financial damage at the time.

Hooked up the TV last night for the first time in 18 months (long story) and I can get ABC and Channel 31 and thats it. Anyway, watched The Weekly with Charlie Pickering. Roy and HG came on as guests and in passing torched Gil McLachlan for destroying Tassie football. It's worth watching on iview just for that.

Hahaha. They take a good slice of everyone as usual. From the French, the world cup, the Socceroos, Cricket & a nice piece of Gil McLachlan, 'the murderer of Tasmanian football'. Great stuff. ;)

I asked my magpie mate, he said he thought KGV was built in 1969 & opened about 1970, & was expanded in about 1980. He remembers it was actually the 2nd social club on KGV. The first was actually an old Hydo building that was brought in in pieces & put together in around 1960. It was a temporary sort of thing. So their current new $8million rooms are actually the 3rd lot built on KGV!! They certainly look ok. I understand they do well with functions & bingo. No money in football anymore. :(

He also remembers City-South had the first real social clubrooms built & operating a year or 2 prior to the brick one recently pulled down at KGV.

Also I recall that Clarence were refused permission to build rooms on Bellerive back in the late 1970s or early 1980's, so bought the old Clarence RSL building up the road in Pechey street. I think that went broke so they sold them. I remember someone saying the problem was that drunks wouldn't walk up the hill after games. ;)

New Norfolks rooms were built for them by ANM newsprint at Boyer. When the pokies first came in NN spent a heap to set up for them but things didn't go well. Apparently it cost too much to have them they & made SFA off them. I think it did them a lot of financial damage at the time.

I forgot that the team I support was a merged club back in 1957! New Town Football Club (TFL) and Glenorchy Football Club (Southern Districts Association).
See the link below with the details of the merge and choice of colours. This brings back a memory from my Childhood my Doctors nurse asked who I supported back in the mid 70 she then said. "My family used to go and watch New Town play every week and once they moved they stop supporting them and stopped going to the foootball."

Also talking about Club-rooms the article mentions the New Town Club rooms, Albert Road, Moonah. I believe it stayed there till the first temp club rooms madmug mentions above was built over on the YMCA side of the ground. KGV ground was opened in 1950 and used by GFC (SDA) before this they were based at Eady street. (Now Rugby Grounds)

https://glenorchymagpies.org.au/index.php/history/a-new-era-1957

Last edited:
I forgot that the team I support was a merged club back in 1957! New Town Football Club (TFL) and Glenorchy Football Club (Southern Districts Association).
See the link below with the details of the merge and choice of colours. This brings back a memory from my Childhood my Doctors nurse asked who I supported back in the mid 70 she then said. "My family used to go and watch New Town play every week and once they moved they stop supporting them and stopped going to the foootball."

Also talking about Club-rooms the article mentions the New Town Club rooms, Albert Road, Moonah. I believe it stayed there till the first temp club rooms madmug mentions above was built over on the YMCA side of the ground. KGV ground was opened in 1950 and used by GFC (SDA) before this they were based at Eady street. (Now Rugby Grounds)

https://glenorchymagpies.org.au/index.php/history/a-new-era-1957

"New Town District Football Club relocated from the New Town Oval to KGV in Glenorchy in 1957 and absorbed the already existing Glenorchy Rovers club that was participating in the Southern District Football Association at that time, the name change to Glenorchy District Football Club was approved by the TANFL on 8 April 1957.
The KGV Memorial Park (as it was then known) was extensively renovated and opened for use for TANFL football on 4 May by Glenorchy Municipal Council Warden, Mr J.E Percey and by Mr Eric O'Brien, the oldest surviving player from the Glenorchy Rovers team of 1886."
Glenorchy Rovers wore red and white according to my late grandfather who played against them in the late 40s in the SDFA when he played for the original Brighton team that were the Hawks (no relation to Mangalore/Brighton that play in the SFL now.
Glenorchy's first game at KGV was 4th May 1957 against Hobart.
A crowd of 2,665 saw Hobart 12.8 (80) beat Glenorchy 10.14 (74) that day.
The big grandstand that got burnt down about 10-11 years ago was opened in 1962.

"New Town District Football Club relocated from the New Town Oval to KGV in Glenorchy in 1957 and absorbed the already existing Glenorchy Rovers club that was participating in the Southern District Football Association at that time, the name change to Glenorchy District Football Club was approved by the TANFL on 8 April 1957.
The KGV Memorial Park (as it was then known) was extensively renovated and opened for use for TANFL football on 4 May by Glenorchy Municipal Council Warden, Mr J.E Percey and by Mr Eric O'Brien, the oldest surviving player from the Glenorchy Rovers team of 1886."
Glenorchy Rovers wore red and white according to my late grandfather who played against them in the late 40s in the SDFA when he played for the original Brighton team that were the Hawks (no relation to Mangalore/Brighton that play in the SFL now.
Glenorchy's first game at KGV was 4th May 1957 against Hobart.
A crowd of 2,665 saw Hobart 12.8 (80) beat Glenorchy 10.14 (74) that day.
The big grandstand that got burnt down about 10-11 years ago was opened in 1962.

Nice stuff. I'm told Glenorchy hold their centenary next year. I'd have thought they'd count the original Glenorchy teams history back to 1886 or whenever they started.
I was told Glenorchy cricket club (TCA) started out in 1932 & wore red & white. They too are now black & white. That was told to me by the son of Emerson Rodwell who was a great player in the post ww2 era.

I was told Glenorchy cricket club (TCA) started out in 1932 & wore red & white. They too are now black & white. That was told to me by the son of Emerson Rodwell who was a great player in the post ww2 era.
Big Peter Rodwell? I worked with him at the Council. He retired last year.

When did Newtown change from green and gold to black and white...?

Newtown changed from G&G to B&W after WW2 when football became district football. Also you may be interested that Clarence were Maroon & White up until about 1977 when they changed to Red & White.
Sandy Bay had a fantastic distinctive jumper of all blue with a white seagull. They Changed to that horrible North Melbourne stripped style around the late 60's. I'm not sure of the exact year.
Also a pity Lauderdale changed from the Geelong style to the bomber thing.

Newtown changed from G&G to B&W after WW2 when football became district football. Also you may be interested that Clarence were Maroon & White up until about 1977 when they changed to Red & White.
Sandy Bay had a fantastic distinctive jumper of all blue with a white seagull. They Changed to that horrible North Melbourne stripped style around the late 60's. I'm not sure of the exact year.
Also a pity Lauderdale changed from the Geelong style to the bomber thing.
1951-Clarence-FC-Rex-Geard-Jack-Bennett-Mike-Clennett-V-Sandy-Bay-768x554.jpg

1951 Photo Linked from Clarence Football Club website, As madmug mentions, great original Jumpers pity both sides chamged and went for the VFL South Melbourne North Melbourne Knock offs.
L-R: Rex Geard (SB), Jack Bennett (Clar), Mike Clennett (SB)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back