Senior 23. Jacob Weitering

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope this is just a write off year for weitering.
He looks nothing like his former self. Not sure what is wrong but appears to have gone backwards.
I still have a lot of faith as he is only 20-21 but i'm hoping theres an explanation for it

I really hope this is just a write off year for weitering.
He looks nothing like his former self. Not sure what is wrong but appears to have gone backwards.
I still have a lot of faith as he is only 20-21 but i'm hoping theres an explanation for it
He's played pretty well in the three weeks he's been back

has had his ups and downs (like any kid) but i cant think of any KPD that's come in and been better straight away in the last decade *shrug*

I wouldn't trade him as that is ridiculous and still hope for the best but comments like this show how delusional we have become.

Two seconds thought- Harris Andrews is way way ahead of JW. It is not even close. But JW is the best of the last decade. Incredible how tolerant we have become.

Just because we wish for it doesn't make it true.

For a start they have to drop Rowe and play JW as the key back. He will never make it as the 3rd tall that we are trying to do. Watch what Mundy did to him in first 5-7 minutes yesterday. Set the tone for the first half. And Mundy is supposedly past it and has never been super quick/agile.

I'm not writing him of but the best young back of last 10 years. Really! It is embarrassing that other club's supporters read that.

I wouldn't trade him as that is ridiculous and still hope for the best but comments like this show how delusional we have become.

Two seconds thought- Harris Andrews is way way ahead of JW. It is not even close. But JW is the best of the last decade. Incredible how tolerant we have become.

For a start they have to drop Rowe and play JW as the key back. He will never make it as the 3rd tall that we are trying to do. Watch what Mundy did to him in first 5-7 minutes yesterday. Set the tone for the first half. And Mundy is supposedly past it and has never been super quick/agile.

I'm not writing him of but the best young back of last 10 years. Really! It is embarrassing that other club's supporters read that.

please dont twist what i said . I said "a KPD that's come in STRAIGHT AWAY and been better" Right now HA is streets ahead sure, but he's been in the league a season longer and how did he go in his first year ? Took him time as well

I think Weiters is a victim of playing too well too early and setting such high expectations. Had some shockers early in the year but if you put his body of work together you'd be pretty happy.

Maybe we just re-set our expectations for him?
I don't see him as a shut down defender. He's a general/intercepter/sweeper type player. So put him next to marchbank and jones and we are in trouble.

Long-term I think we need to search for a big shutdown tall defender to take the number 1, to really highlight the qualities of weiters and marchbank rather than having them chasing tail covering for jones.

Hahaha

I thought he was woeful yesterday

I've had concerns on his pace since membry smashed him on the lead for 5 goals 2 years ago

Watching him closely at the game yesterday and he's urgency at the contest and pace is not adequate.

I've got serious concerns that he is just too slow to play on a man, getting schooled by Mundy is not what we paid pick 1 for.

We have got Marchbank to play the 3rd tall role and Jones and plowman. Key backs can be found late in the draft.

If we could get a top 10 for him in this draft, I'd trade him, we can rookie Sam Collins from the VFL as a replacement and draft a mid.

Not what any if us wanted but got to be honest on the list

Not a good game to judge him on but where's the guys awareness? And that short pass that sailed over someone's head out of bounds caused me to place my head in my hands and shake my head in disbelief.

That's was disapointing but I thought we was OK with ball in hand for the day, it's the key defender stuff I'm worried about, much more confident in Rowe as a defender.

I think a lot has to do with what is going on around him, moreso than him.

He looks and presents more confidently than he did at the start of the year but if his role is to be the primary intercept, pretty hard to do qhen the opposition can just get it in there with little to no pressure from further up the ground on time and time again.

We have posters wanting to trade Weiters. Some wanting to trade SPS, all because they want more early draft picks.

I know we live in a disposable world, but trading players who were recently first round picks for more first round draft picks would mean we're doing the early, hard yards with these kids & then handing them over to other clubs to reap the full rewards. My brain hurts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have posters wanting to trade Weiters. Some wanting to trade SPS, all because they want more early draft picks.

I know we live in a disposable world, but trading players who were recently first round picks for more first round draft picks would mean we're doing the early, hard yards with these kids & then handing them over to other clubs to reap the full rewards. My brain hurts.

SPS is silly

But I am really concerned with Weiters lack of pace and intensity at the contest.

Reckon he's value would still be high, we have decent tall defensive stocks and often they can be found late in the draft.

SPS is silly

But I am really concerned with Weiters lack of pace and intensity at the contest.

Reckon he's value would still be high, we have decent tall defensive stocks and often they can be found late in the draft.
Then when Weiters becomes a multiple AA player at Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney or Richmond posters will be bemoaning another player who went on to demonstrate their quality at another club.

To trade out a #1 pick when he is in the 50-100 game bracket, for an unknown quantity in the draft seems to be very similar to a dog chasing its tail.

Then when Weiters becomes a multiple AA player at Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney or Richmond posters will be bemoaning another player who went on to demonstrate their quality at another club.

To trade out a #1 pick when he is in the 50-100 game bracket, for an unknown quantity in the draft seems to be very similar to a dog chasing its tail.
Canine oroboros indeed.

Draft picks into draft picks, round and round we go!

We need quality mids, if we can get a top 10pick where there a plenty of highly touted mids its s good option.

Marchbank takes Weiters spot, Sam Collins with a Rookie pick fills the KPD roster spot, we get another early pick to look at mids.

Rather chasing tail Id say it's selling a falling stock.

We need quality mids, if we can get a top 10pick where there a plenty of highly touted mids its s good option.

Marchbank takes Weiters spot, Sam Collins with a Rookie pick fills the KPD roster spot, we get another early pick to look at mids.

Rather chasing tail Id say it's selling a falling stock.

What great list management

Absolutely zero chance of this happening, nor should it. But really doesn't surprise me at the moment, the impatience is really staggering

What great list management

Absolutely zero chance of this happening, nor should it. But really doesn't surprise me at the moment, the impatience is really staggering

To be fair I suggested this before the season as well. We have many key defenders, they aren't that hard to find, we need mids, and as a poster I rarely throw the toys out of the cot.

Wieterings value is plummeting. He actually can't defend one on one due to lack of pace. I also believe that Marchbank is better at the third man drifting across role.

Obviously I still hope he'll come good, we seriously can't find a match up for him, was getting killed by Mundy and had to be swapped off him. That is a diabolical sign.

Keep in mind I'd only trade if we could get a top 10 pick (but I honestly don't think we'd get that).

Yes unlikely it will happen, but going forward it would be a win imo.

To be fair I suggested this before the season as well. We have many key defenders, they aren't that hard to find, we need mids, and as a poster I rarely throw the toys out of the cot.

Wieterings value is plummeting. He actually can't defend one on one due to lack of pace. I also believe that Marchbank is better at the third man drifting across role.

Obviously I still hope he'll come good, we seriously can't find a match up for him, was getting killed by Mundy and had to be swapped off him. That is a diabolical sign.

Keep in mind I'd only trade if we could get a top 10 pick (but I honestly don't think we'd get that).

Yes unlikely it will happen, but going forward it would be a win imo.

So you suggested this before the start of the season, after completing 2 full years in the game and think that some of his flaws may not be addressed?

His value is not plummeting. Mundy has gotten a hold of all his opponents this year, evident by his averages, 21 Disposals, 4 Marks and 1 Goal, exactly what he produced over the weekend. One of the most underrated players in the league

The so called many defenders you elude to, many will be gone at the end of this year, ASOS, Rowe, JGM, while Jones will be 28 next year. If Jones goes down next year, it leaves Macreadie and Marchbank as KPD. Surely you don't expect those guys to play on opposition power forwads

Tell me who would you recruit to step in from day one next year?

Canine oroboros indeed.

Draft picks into draft picks, round and round we go!

Canine ouroboros?

I had to look it up but it's brilliant! I'm going to use that.

You learn something (useless, but fun) every day...

The problem Weitering has is that he cant be on the lead further downfield at the same time he has possession in defense - that is how pathetic Carlton's midfield structure is between the arcs. it is exacerbated by the fact that no one others playing defensive six can actually run the ball out and link to midfield either. Weitering is being made to look slow - because his downfield options ARE slow and ill structured. Carlton has teh most stationary and ineffective bunch of plodders parked in defensive zone atm - no idea how to add numbers forward of the defensive arc....liek every other team does...

but hey lets shitcan Weitering - because he has bad facial expressions...

lol

So you suggested this before the start of the season, after completing 2 full years in the game and think that some of his flaws may not be addressed?

His value is not plummeting. Mundy has gotten a hold of all his opponents this year, evident by his averages, 21 Disposals, 4 Marks and 1 Goal, exactly what he produced over the weekend. One of the most underrated players in the league

The so called many defenders you elude to, many will be gone at the end of this year, ASOS, Rowe, JGM, while Jones will be 28 next year. If Jones goes down next year, it leaves Macreadie and Marchbank as KPD. Surely you don't expect those guys to play on opposition power forwads

Tell me who would you recruit to step in from day one next year?

Sam Collins

I did suggest trading Weitering at the start of the season as he holds the most value

Remove this Banner Ad

Back