theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
What you guys have done with your list in the last couple of years is really promising and love bringing you guys up as a case subject to my Carlton and saints supporting mates
I bet you do, and it is a fair enough comparison, although to date we are just a pocketful of promises.

Here's a thought; IF Lyon does manage to manufacture a decent list turn around (meaning that we are contesting for top four in 2020-the end of his contract), does he qualify as a list development coach rather than the current perception of him as a coach who can only work with an established list?

Jan 24, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
I bet you do, and it is a fair enough comparison, although to date we are just a pocketful of promises.

Here's a thought; IF Lyon does manage to manufacture a decent list turn around (meaning that we are contesting for top four in 2020-the end of his contract), does he qualify as a list development coach rather than the current perception of him as a coach who can only work with an established list?
I don’t think so remember he ran out of st kilda after the drawn GF rather than rebuild

Jan 24, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings

Weller for Brayshaw looks like highway robbery in hindsight tho

332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
Tonight, Ross, the coaching group, the players and their Melbourne families are all going out for dinner and having a few drinks in Melbourne tonight.

Hope they behave and don't let their hair down...been a good first half, but would be good if they could finish off the year strong.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tonight, Ross, the coaching group, the players and their Melbourne families are all going out for dinner and having a few drinks in Melbourne tonight.
It's all a big ruse to get Cerra's parents drunk and finally get that extension signed. Coincidence this happens before the bye when Adam is allowed to have a few drinks?

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Hope they behave and don't let their hair down...been a good first half, but would be good if they could finish off the year strong.

They’re probably all off the leash tonight given we have the bye next week.

That would be a massive dinner group.

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
We had one of those shindigs after a game in darwin (and leading into a bye) a few years back when Cuddles was coach. From memory Tarrant dropped his strides and Mark Harvey received an unprovoked King hit.

Aaahhhh the good old days. Cuddles might have been a cluster f&*k as a coach but he knew how to throw a piss up.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
I don’t think so remember he ran out of st kilda after the drawn GF rather than rebuild

Ran out is a bit harsh. He had a year to run on about $600,000 at St Kilda. If they had a really poor year who's to say he would have been re-signed? Taking the multi-million dollar long term deal from Fremantle was a no brainer really.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
What you guys have done with your list in the last couple of years is really promising and love bringing you guys up as a case subject to my Carlton and saints supporting mates
I think free agency is making it easier for clubs to stay up, and harder for clubs to rebuild .

Carlton, St Kilda, etc do not have a good core group of players, so they need to build from scratch.

We had Fyfe, Walters, Neale, Hill etc.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think free agency is making it easier for clubs to stay up, and harder for clubs to rebuild .

Carlton, St Kilda, etc do not have a good core group of players, so they need to build from scratch.

We had Fyfe, Walters, Neale, Hill etc.

Carlton and St Kilda shot themselves in the foot with moving on their teachers. Carlton have let players like Betts, Waite and Gibbs walk while the Saints let Dal Santo, Goddard and McEvoy go.

Horrible managenent from them.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
How do you know this??
David King on Fox Footy had an interview/phone call with Ross about an hour after the game and asked about how the club go about preparing for the bye. The staff in Melbourne were taking the bus together to a location to have a meal and drinks with the player’s families and fly back to Perth today. I think it would’ve been quiet the celebration because Ross said (just paraphrasing here) “am I being asked on record or not? We’ll have a few quiet beers tonight, the coaches, the staff and player’s and their families, take the bus back to the hotel after and fly back tomorrow.”

Freomania

Debutant
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Man i remember that interview but forgot how brutal the reporters were on Lyon and co. I wonder if they were that brutal when Ken Judge was sacked with one year to go. Honestly how amateurish are those reporters bet they would run in a heartbeat if their rivals gave them a better offer

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Pretty triumphant post after narrowly we beat a team with 7 of their best 22 out, at home, when they kicked 9.14.

Don't get carried away. Eddie Betts had a field day but kicked 2.6, it could easily have gone the other way.
Yeah we know you would have loved that.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Sorry, while I kind of agree about replacing a coach that is not performing, I can also remember Drum and CC . I never want to go back to that s**t.
Look at St Kilda who had to replace Lyon and have got two really s**t coaches.
I'm not sure that Lyon can get us contending again, but I'm scared of what we might end up with.
Very happy to let Ross have another year or two before we roll the dice again , unless another top coach pops up.
I have said this before and I will say it again. The Chris Connolly era of 2002-7 Frustrated me. The only thing we got to look back on that era was finals in 2003 and a prelim in 2007. Gutted with our 2004 and 2005 seasons. Played some brilliant footy away from home in that period especially in Victoria. Essendon pinched 8th from us in 204 and beat Melbourne who were 5th in the Elim finals. Freo could of done that too and beaten the demons at the MCG in finals. Had freo got 7th or 8th in 2005, I would of backed a full strength freo Vs North and Even the cats at the MCG or Docklands in the 1st week of the finals.

If anyone wondered why Freo had an ageing list so bad in that there were only 6-7 guys aged 23 or under in 2008, Blame the Schwabolly combo for that. There were 2 main reasons for this....

1. Consistent trading of draft picks in that period. Yes Freo traded picks 1,20 and 36 for Luke McPharlin and Trent Croad. Trading Picks 3 and 19 for Des Headland in 2002. Trading 11, 27 and 43 for Josh Carr in 2004. Trading pick 12 and Graham polak for pick 8 then packaged pick 8 and Paul Medhurst to get Chris Tarrant in 2006.

2. What ever picks we didn't traded got some sub standard players in the draft.

So yeah, People on the saints board blame Ross Lyon for their lack of youth coming through post 2011.

Ross Lyon can Walk out of Freo at the end of the season but I know for a fact Freo have recruited well in the 2016 and 2017 drafts with some talent aged 23 or under coming through In Brayshaw, Banfield, Cera, Crowden, Giro, Logue, Darcy, Cox etc

Put it this way... Disastrous 2016 season aside, I have been enjoying this current rebuild much more than 2007-9.

Back