Autopsy Post game vs Gold Coast Rd 13, 2018 - Win at last.

Remove this Banner Ad

z0FhirF.png

Had it on. But tbh I wasn't paying much attention during the 3rd and the come back caught me by surprise. I remember looking up and thinking wtf we are only 4 goals behind
Oh. Ok. Thought you may have turned off at half-time.

Wouldn't have blamed you one bit

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is one of the more unusual first posts I've seen here. Welcome aboard!
Hs ha, yeah...the home brew wild plum wine makes me wax a little lyrically I'm afraid...we'll see what happens with Dandelion brandy and elderflower champers. Things may just get a whole lot weirder

Cant believe it, but I actually fell asleep 1 minute into the 4th. Woke up and the missus was watching a movie. Checked my phone and we snagged the win. I fell asleep before the West Coast comeback also.

Very happy for the boys. Have had a serious case of ECO for some time now. This is the least footy I have watched since I lived overseas 10+ years ago However, watching the replay of the boys singing the song woke something inside me.

Still think Richo is a complete plonker as a coach, but have to enjoy the wins when they come. Happy for him to have some relief. Battle & Membrey will be a nice combo in years to come.

Longer definitely gets better hit outs but against good inside teams it wouldn't have helped.
Very strongly disagree.

Early last year when Hickey was in the ruck and getting walloped there we were also getting smashed in the clearances (by thosevtype of teams) off the back of it, yet once Billy came into the team, we came up against plenty more very good inside groups and we won the clearances most weeks (hence going from bottom 2 in clearances after 4 rounds to finish 3rd for clearance differential just 18 weeks later).

We also only lost the clearance count in about one of our last 8 games last year, even though we played a bunch of teams during that time who went on to make the 8.

In a couple of games he got coaches votes in games we lost as the only one from our team to get any.

So I don't see him having anything to prove as far as that goes, as he did it repeatedly last year.

If he keeps playing similarly to last night, I fully expect we'll be a much better clearance team off the back of it again.

Gold Coast have the worst inside brigade in the AFL
Yet we were the team ranked 18th for clearances going into this round, so whether that's true or not, there was little if anything between the two teams in that regard going into the game. Yet we beat them in the clearances by a record amount since CD have been keeping stats (about 18 years, IIRC).

So whether they were crap at it for the season so far, we were arguably crapper, yet smashed them there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve lurked here for a few years and only joined two months ago. I’m always keen to read others’ opinions on particular players but none more than Dan McKenzie.

He has been my favourite player since we drafted him and last night hopefully showed a lot of people why we took him at 22.

For me, he has all the tools needed for the modern game. He is seriously quick, got a big tank, as courageous as they come and rarely gets beaten in contests. His contested marking is elite for a bloke who is 184cm and lightly built. He can play multiple positions and has the right attitude. His decision making and kicking is an issue (a common issue for many young players) but last night he made all the right decisions with the ball in hand.

He has played 24 games FFS and is improving with every one. I’m glad AR continues to play him despite him not padding his stats with cheap one twos or despite him making mistakes. His disposal efficiency last night was 92 per cent and it has been quite high all year. Composure will come with experience. It usually does.

Last night proved that he is going to be a very handy player long term.

Welcome to the board DMac

I love that DMac played a great game but that disposal efficiency stat is very misleading. He had a number of long bombs that resulted in an outnumbered 50/50 marking contest where the ball came to ground & Gold Coast cleared it away...

Except that this is false. I watched the whole game again yesterday and checked every one of his disposals. Every disposal except one was straight to a Saints player. He had one long bomb inside 50 with two minutes to go because he was under pressure after a quick handball and had literally nothing else to go to. It was also to a genuine pack of five 1 on 1s. Any other player would have done the same. He also was one of the few players to lower his eyes and hit a target (short kick to Weller) late in the game.

But look, ordinarily I agree with you. I tend to think DE isn’t all that helpful because of the way they define efficiency. We are pretty awful with our DE every week.

But Dmac was actually really accurate.

You could make an argument we have the best depth we've ever had but unfortunately you could also make the same argument we have the least amount of top end talent we've ever had.
The later is our biggest issue imo.

Yeah if any of our plodders go down, we have another plodder ready to replace them.

Except that this is false. I watched the whole game again yesterday and checked every one of his disposals. Every disposal except one was straight to a Saints player. He had one long bomb inside 50 with two minutes to go because he was under pressure after a quick handball and had literally nothing else to go to. It was also to a genuine pack of five 1 on 1s. Any other player would have done the same. He also was one of the few players to lower his eyes and hit a target (short kick to Weller) late in the game.

But look, ordinarily I agree with you. I tend to think DE isn’t all that helpful because of the way they define efficiency. We are pretty awful with our DE every week.

But Dmac was actually really accurate.

Did he touch the ball in the first half?

Cant believe it, but I actually fell asleep 1 minute into the 4th. Woke up and the missus was watching a movie. Checked my phone and we snagged the win. I fell asleep before the West Coast comeback also.

Very happy for the boys. Have had a serious case of ECO for some time now. This is the least footy I have watched since I lived overseas 10+ years ago However, watching the replay of the boys singing the song woke something inside me.

Still think Richo is a complete plonker as a coach, but have to enjoy the wins when they come. Happy for him to have some relief. Battle & Membrey will be a nice combo in years to come.
i think u need to sleep more ... :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back