List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments on a couple of our academy blokes by someone who made it out to Blacktown yesterday:

Vic Country 3.4.22; 4.6.30; 6.7. 43; 6.12.48

Allies1.1.7; 4.4.28; 6.5.41; 10.11.71

Went to the game at Blacktown without having seen any of these guys before, so it takes a while to get familiar with players and obviously I’m not a professional recruiter, just a dabbler. That said, certain players catch your eye and I was trying to follow Lions boys and anyone else who popped up. Conditions were wet, not much rain during the game, but a soaked ground. Lots of contested footy. Notes on players:

Allies
Kieren Briggs
(GWS Academy). Best on ground. Started in the ruck and went forward. A super impressive game. His marking in the conditions was elite, clunking a number when no one else was, beating three guys in one contest. Good below his knees and kicked a beautifully controlled grubber goal on an angle to seal the game. Strong in the ruck and a real target when he went forward. Over-ager, but looks a player, GWS lucky to have him. Kicked 3 goals, confident set shots.

Connor McFadyen (Lions, NB: d before y) Started forward, but went into the midfield for the whole 2nd half. To my mind this is a good sign in itself, for the Allies mids were very impressive. Good below his knees, one lovely gather at pace on the far wing, and linked–up well in the 2nd half. Not the weather for a 190cm mid, but he looked good and ran hard. Put this with his recent game when he kicked 4 and his versatility must be a plus. I like him.

Keidan Coleman (Lions) He tended to be 2nd to the ball, but tackled well. What I noticed was his kicking. A great torpedo in the first quarter, hitting targets both short and long in the last Q, including precise delivery, inside 50 for a goal. Was kicking out after behinds and went over the 10m line once, but they didn’t score from it. Didn’t look to be super fast, but relaxed, solid and always involved. Could fill a need for us and worth tracking.

Jack Tomkinson (Lions) Initially because Briggs was so impressive, I didn’t think as much of Jack, but he always provided a contest. He rucked most of the last quarter when Briggs went forward and was good in the centre and around the ground. At 200cm and an overager, he looks like the sort of player we have a lot of, but his contested work means he could be a project ruck/KP, if Archie doesn’t make it.

Chayce Jones: (Tassy) The best midfielder out there today, really liked his game. He was instrumental in the Allies getting back into it in the 2nd quarter, when he was everywhere. A solid four quarters, he ran all day and hit targets. Definitely worth watching and with no go home factor, could be a good option for us. Looks a high draft pick to me.

Bailey Scott (Suns) Kicked a couple of nice goals and strong in the contest. Impressive.

Baxter Norton (Tassy) Small defender, a couple of super impressive chases. Again, could fill a need for us and I liked his competitiveness.

Tarryn Thomas(Tassy, North academy) Didn’t do much in the first when Country was on top, but shifted forward and was dangerous. Had a great last quarter when the match was in the balance and went back inside. Classy.

Caleb Graham (Suns, KP). Was great in the first quarter when the Allies were under siege and did well when switched forward in the 2nd half. Good in the air and on the ground. 194cm. Promising.

Others who caught my attention: Thomas Green (Giants, bottom ager), Fraser Turner (Tassy), Mitchell O’Neill, good run and strong in contest (Tassy, bottom ager).

Vic Country
Tye Caldwell
I thought he was their best mid, damaging and hard at it. Co-captain.

Sam Walsh I really didn’t notice him until the third quarter, when he kicked nicely into the F50. Obviously it’s only one game, but on this one at least I’d have others ahead of him. Perhaps he was marked, but he didn’t scream out “class” to me and maybe I just missed his efforts. Will be interesting to see how he goes in other games.

Ned McHenry Small mid who really impressed.

Hudson Garoni KP, kicked 2 goals. Good contested mark. Leads well.

Sam Flanders (2 goals) and Caleb Serong: 2 bottom agers who caught my eye. Worth following as future mids.

Bailey Williams Rucked well and good around ground. One eye catching goal at end of 2nd when he ran and battled for a ground ball and kicked truly, but I thought the Allies rucks in Tomkinson and Briggs had the better of him today.

Zac Foot One impressive run, but didn’t notice much.

Tom Berry. Rarely sighted today. Would have to do a lot more than this to get drafted, unless he was injured. Could be a romantic wish on our part.

That’s about it. I thought tactically the Allies outcoached Vic C with their moves. Structured up really well in the last quarter when the match was on the line, both in the centre and forward 50. I liked Tomkinson, McFadyen, Jones and Thomas in the centre and they got on top of the Country midfield.

If anyone has any questions, I’m happy to try to answer them.

Thanks. I had a thought that Briggs & Peatling may be outside chances of rookie selection this year; Matt Walker didn't play of course (anyone know why?). Tom Green progressing nicely for next year. (Briggs and Peatling replace the two Buckleys for mine.)

Comments on a couple of our academy blokes by someone who made it out to Blacktown yesterday:

A bit of a write up on the match here as well and certainly seems like Briggs had an impressive last qtr

A MATCH-WINNING last quarter from ruck/forward Kieren Briggs has lifted the Allies to a 23-point win over Vic Country in their opening NAB AFL Under-18 Championships clash at Blacktown on Saturday. In a low-scoring, heavily-contested clash in slippery conditions, the Allies trailed by two points at the last change before Briggs exploded with 3.2 of his team’s 4.6 in the final term, while Vic Country was held goalless.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-09/allies-draw-first-blood-at-u18-championship

I dont know a lot about Briggs....does he look like an AFL standard ruck prospect.

OK, so just catching up on things U18 … the Giants Academy kids selected in the 50 man Allies squad were:
- Keiran Briggs
- Riley Corbett
- Jacob Koschitzke (not draftable due zone exclusion)
- Jeromy Lucas
- Guy Richardson
- Nick Murray
- Matt Walker
- James Peatling
- Ben Kelly
- Thomas Green (underage - 2019 draft)
- Liam Delahunty (underage - 2019 draft)

There was an internal selection trial match, and I thought there was meant to be a small squad named … but I haven't seen such a squad named. Instead, the team for the first U18 Championships game was named, which included four from the Giants squad: one we cannot draft due to exclusion from GWS zone, Tom Green from next year, and two draft-eligible Giants: Keiran Briggs (forward/ruck) and James Peatling (small forward).
Allies Team Rd 1.PNG

Allies 10.11 (71) defeated Victoria Country 6.12 (48)

Allies: Briggs 3, Jones 2, Scott 2, Green, Peatling, Turner [GWS Academy kids in bold]
Vic Country: Flanders 2, Garoni 2, Caldwell, Williams
BEST:
Allies:
Jones, Briggs, Green, Tomkinson, McGuiness
Vic Country: Walsh, Fletcher, Reid, Brownless

Match Report https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/...t-victory-with-impressive-last-quarter-surge/

THE Allies and Victoria Country kicked off their 2018 National Under 18 Championships at Blacktown Oval on Saturday, with both sides exposing elite talents and midfield depth. The match up was very hotly contested with the midfield and ruck battle producing high disposal and tackle counts in the rough conditions.

Vic Country kicked the first goal of the game from a boundary stoppage as Geelong Grammar’s Jye Caldwell received a handball from Hudson Garoni as he steadied from 40 metres out to roll through the first off the day. Starting well with six disposals in the first quarter that goal was co-captain Jye Caldwell’s last meaningful contribution of the game as he succumbed to a hamstring injury and was followed by Dandenong Stingrays’ midfielder Mitch Riordan. Vic Country dominated the early contests and acclimatised themselves to the slippery conditions with superior skills coming from onballers Sam Walsh and Sam Fletcher. Hudson Garoni was Vic Country’s barometer up forward as he marked superbly and was able to have multiple shots at goal in the first quarter.

Down at quarter time, the Allies responded after a tough first quarter where they were beaten in most areas. The Allies midfield significantly stepped up in clearances as they started to gain some ascendency in the match. James Peatling kicked a super roving goal to kick the Allies back into match, as the boundary throw in evaded both Jacob Koschitzke and Bailey Williams, Peatling pounced and kicked a superb snap while being swung around in the tackle by Sam Walsh. Tasmanian midfielder Chayce Jones was integral to the fight back winning many clearances and crucially intercepting a poor kick in by Connor Idun and converting with a goal. The final play of the half was an attack by Vic Country as ruckman Bailey Williams got a kick away just in time to kick goal just before the half time siren.

The third quarter commenced with Chayce Jones kicking a booming goal on the run from 50 metres as his influence was growing stronger on the game. The low scoring continued throughout the quarter, as the heavily-contested footy saw many stoppages and sparse opportunities. Sam Flanders did brilliantly to pounce on an errant kick in Allies defensive 50 and snapped truly, this was possible from the forward line pressure by Oscar Brownless. But Allies hit back once more as Tarryn Thomas expertly found Thomas Green 30 metres out on a slight angle, Green made no mistake from the set shot as the match up was set for a tight finish.

With Allies key forward father-son pick Nick Blakey missing through illness an opportunity arose for another big man forward to fill his void. With Victoria Country leading by two points at the final break the Allies yearned a match winning performance and that came in the way of ruck/forward Kieren Briggs. The Greater Western Sydney academy player stamped his authority early in the final quarter by taking a huge pack mark over three Country defenders and converting, as Briggs then added two more goals that saw the Allies pick up their first win of the championships.

A key to Allies victory was Chayce Jones as he was comfortably the best player on the ground, his performance featured 28 possessions, five clearances, six tackles and two goals. Bottom age stars Tom Green (24 disposals) and Mitch O’Neill (26 disposals) were also very serviceable, Green’s team high six clearances stood out as the conditions required cleaner skills and disposal. Allies and Tasmania’s great draft hope Tarryn Thomas was barely sighted in the first half as Vic Country dominated through the middle. Thomas’ second half was much more productive as he finished with 17 touches and six tackles with his contributions key to the Allies last quarter.

Swingman Matt McGuiness was very valuable for his side in multiple roles, as Jacob Koschitzke – who played against many of his Murray Bushrangers teammates – was also great with his positional changing role. For Vic Country, potential top draft pick Sam Walsh was at his dominant best, accumulating a game high 31 possessions which included five tackles and six clearances.
With Jye Caldwell and Mitch Riordan off early, Geelong father-son prospect Oscar Brownless – the son of Geelong star Bill Brownless – was productive with 18 touches and seven tackles, as Sam Fletcher provided a game high 14 tackles and gained 19 possessions. Defenders Kyle Reid and Connor Idun held the defensive fort throughout the day but couldn’t stop the Allies goal rush in the last quarter.

In the next championship fixtures the Allies will face Victoria Metro at Southport Oval on Saturday June 16.

Scouting Notes https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2018/0 6/10/scouting-notes-allies-vs-vic-country/

16 James Peatling – Grabbed the ball on the wing and nullified a contest in the opening term by sliding across the boundary line. He took a good mark in space in the second term, but his set shot from 30m missed to the left. He handballed to a teammate early in the fourth quarter, pinpointing him through a couple of Vic Country opponents.

26 Thomas Green – Bottom-ager Green started well with a couple of nice front and centre snares at the stoppages, keeping his arms free above his head in order to dish the ball out. Despite his good clearance work, his output around the contest slowed a bit in the approach to half time and he was thrown forward to good effect in the third term. He managed to back a handy goal from a long-range set shot and put on some hard tackles to keep the ball locked in the Allies 50.

40 Kieren Briggs – Briggs played a key hand in bringing the Allies home with three last quarter goals. The highlight was easily his third goal – a smart dribbler from deep in the 50 with an opponent closing in. The versatile tall was able to find space well and looked dangerous one-out when forward. He spent most of the first half rucking, leaping well and most notably showing off his clean hands overhead in tough conditions. As an over-ager, Briggs certainly put his name down as one to watch further with his performance.

37 Jacob Koschitzke – Koschitzke was used in various roles throughout the day as part of a major rotation of the Allies big-men. Starting forward, the GWS Academy product also took up a good amount of the ruck duties forward of centre and did not look entirely out of place. With the Allies magnet-board shuffled heavily in the second half, Koschitzke was thrown into defence to quell the influence of his Murray Bushrangers teammate Hudson Garoni. While Garoni proved dangerous and continued to dominate on the lead, Koschitzke took a couple of handy intercept marks and made some good decisions in the back half.

I really liked Peatling in the NEAFL match against Darwin. Looks to be a definite maybe (but I thought that with Mutch and McCreadie)

What’s his story? How close to the Barrassi line does he live? Which Melbourne boarding school does he go to? What TAC cup side does he play for? What family member barracks for which Melbourne club (thus making him rightfully theirs)?

James Peatling - 21/8/2000 - 183 cm 71 kg - lives Toongabbie, plays for Pennant Hills Demons.

Kieran Briggs - 6/10/1999 - 200cm 98 kg - has now finished Oakhill College Sydney, still plays for Pennant Hills Demons.

Tom Green - 23/01/2001 - 188 cm 85 kg - plays for school Marist College Canberra.

I'm sure Eddie will aim to exclude Canberra from GWS zone by next year, but may let western Sydney stay as part of Sydney this year as Briggs & Peatling are not stars. Good news story for GWS in western Sydney if we select them, which is why I would be keen.

Hope Briggs can keep up his form for the champs but not too much so he is at most a 3rd round pick and interesting to see how Peatling and Walker go over the rest of the games
I just saw Briggs is overage but with an October birthday
Not sure what other list weaknesses the squad has but I would like a ruck and for the first pick I would like to have someone with pace and footskills to play outside mid or halfback and all dependant on second half form and also trades and retirements
I still think too many tall defenders v not enough small defenders/half backs on the list and hopefully that is balanced over the draft and trade period

Would we look to trade tomlinson, shiel or patton? Obviously unlikely to trade 3 big names in one period but each would hold considerable trade currency either in terms of draft picks or promising young players.

Tommo - Has endurance and flexibility but doesnt play any one position particularly well. No line-breaking pace, often gets run down with the ball. Questionable footy smarts at times.

Patton - Form-dependent player often lacking confidence. Marking when good is pretty good, but his jumping and running are big deficiencies. When not on his game, team can feel like it is playing with a man down. Questionable footy smarts (many occasions but the worst time for me was when he marked the ball in the prelim final last yr with Richmond and he passed the ball off 30m from goal and siren went).

Shiel - Agile, but now no longer uses his acceleration to break away from pack as much as he once did. For me, his downside is his inability to break tags, his poor disposals (a careless long bomb offender this year - but could be due to lack of class to distribute to on the outside) and his medical issues. His chronic shoulder problems probably mean he will always have trouble sticking tackles in fear he may exacerbate his issues. Despite having stayed loyal for so long, I do feel inside he might want to eventually return home. VIC teams will likely chase him hard looking for a bargain during free agency, so perhaps better to get the most trade-wise out of him whilst he still holds good value.

Could give us a chance to go for a mobile key tall (Ben King/Lukosius) with a high 1st rd pick trough trading, a speedy midfielder/forward (with our own 1st rd pick - Rankine/Caldwell?) as well as perhaps investing in a young ruck from another team (Preuss/Sean Darcy?). If we can get a genuine big-bodied but mobile ruckman, Lobb can go back forward (while the new forward we draft develops) and pinch hit as required.
Still wanna trade the whole list?

Still wanna trade the whole list?

Obviously team is playing a bit better now but I still wouldnt be completely against trading one of shiel, patton or tomlinson. Was definitely not looking to trade out the whole list as you might think I meant. We do eventually need to redistribute some players from the current 24-25 age group to continue bringing in talented youngsters that can increase the longevity of any potential success. These are 3 players who have shown their loyalty time and time again despite being heavily courted by Victorian clubs in the past, however there will likely come a stage in their career where they will want to return home after doing a fantastic job with us.

It would definitely hurt most in my opinion to trade shiel but if the club knows he is keen to get back to Melbourne whilst he is still in his prime after 2019 (turning 26 next year), it might be worthwhile to extract better value from him (with some clubs likely willing to overpay) if we release him from his contract one year before his free agency. For me, tomlinson is flexible but if scully and whitfield are fit and firing, he goes back to being a mobile tall defender which we have surplus of (corr, haynes, himmelberg, taylor, buntine). And finally, Patton has improved over the last 2 weeks, but if we can get a big young ruckman to take the primary ruck role and lobb playing full forward (with pinch hitting role in ruck - perhaps less injuries for him as well this way), he might be someone we could potentially use to continue the influx of talent. Just feel like if we bring in a genuine ruckman, lobb wont be injured every second week and we wont have situations where our support ruckmen dont compete because the coach knows they will get injured.

Obviously team is playing a bit better now but I still wouldnt be completely against trading one of shiel, patton or tomlinson. Was definitely not looking to trade out the whole list as you might think I meant. We do eventually need to redistribute some players from the current 24-25 age group to continue bringing in talented youngsters that can increase the longevity of any potential success. These are 3 players who have shown their loyalty time and time again despite being heavily courted by Victorian clubs in the past, however there will likely come a stage in their career where they will want to return home after doing a fantastic job with us.

It would definitely hurt most in my opinion to trade shiel but if the club knows he is keen to get back to Melbourne whilst he is still in his prime after 2019 (turning 26 next year), it might be worthwhile to extract better value from him (with some clubs likely willing to overpay) if we release him from his contract one year before his free agency. For me, tomlinson is flexible but if scully and whitfield are fit and firing, he goes back to being a mobile tall defender which we have surplus of (corr, haynes, himmelberg, taylor, buntine). And finally, Patton has improved over the last 2 weeks, but if we can get a big young ruckman to take the primary ruck role and lobb playing full forward (with pinch hitting role in ruck - perhaps less injuries for him as well this way), he might be someone we could potentially use to continue the influx of talent. Just feel like if we bring in a genuine ruckman, lobb wont be injured every second week and we wont have situations where our support ruckmen dont compete because the coach knows they will get injured.

Shiel no way he is up for trade and I think in 2019 one of the big name mids will possibly depart with Shiel, Cogs, Kelly out of contract and what could effect the decisions of the players is the captaincy, no basis for this statement but I think at the end of 2019 Ward and Davis will hand over the Captaincy to Coniglio and one other (I hope Kelly) and then it also depends on if one of Shiel/kelly receive an offer to good to refuse but still along way to go and depends on the cap
Patton Don't think either party will be interesting in a trade, Patton as one of the originals seems like a loyal guy and after the early troubles he went through I think he will want to be around when the wins and finals are being played. And the club will be loyal as he has shown his potential and just needs to be more consistent. I think this seasons struggles are down to playing more time in the ruck and also the focus on defensive pressure
Tomlinson Open to trade either Tomlinson or HH at the end of this year as one in the side is ok but 2 is just too tall and the forward line is not mobile enough and Tomlinson has good games but sometimes his versatility goes against him as he is expected to play too many roles. Having said that I think the form and selection of the players in second half of the year will decide a few things
Lobb needs to play full time ruck for the rest of the season and then I think the picture will be more clear as to if he can play that role. I think the form of the team in 2016/17 inflated the value of some players beyond this years production and without actual figures I think this year and next they will have a better picture and it would be interesting to see what Ahern signed on for after his 2 year rookie contract v what Taranto, Perryman and Cumming have. I like Flynn but still think he will be tried next year as he is still splitting the rucking in the NEAFL with Simpson and he only turns 21 in September

Shiel is one of the best midfielders in the comp mate. You don't trade that away. He wins his own ball, can run away from a stoppage with pace and kicks goals. Its literally the prototype for a successful midfielder. If we lose him it is not because we would ever want to trade him, its because we cannot compete with the other offers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading away Shiel for a draft pick that MIGHT be as good as him one day is the perfect example of thinking a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

Yea I think what I mean is I would love to keep Shiel for his whole career but in the scenario he has made it clear to the club he wants to leave at the end of 2019 regardless of our results on the field. Even then I would be reluctant to let him go but if a club offers for example 2 1st rd picks (inc. at least 1 early 1st rd), it might be tempting as well since the club would not be compensated as much via free agency the following year. The negative is that yes we do lose an established star in Shiel. But on the positive we give 2 talented players an extra year in the 2s and another player like Bonar with pace and acceleration potentially being able to step up to the plate earlier than expected.

No doubt he has been down this year by he averaged 12.5 over the previous two years

Don’t know where you’re getting that from
2012 5:4
2013 11:11
2014 9:11
2015 8:9
2016 13:15
2017 12:15
2018 3:8

Career 61:73 or 45.5%
And that’s not counting the “missed everything”

2012 was his only year above 50%

12.5 goals over the previous two years - (12 + 13) / 2. He also averaged 15 behinds, so he does kick goals but he also kicks behinds.

2012 5:4
2013 11:11
2014 9:11
2015 8:9
2018 3:8

Well the comment was about his average over the last 2 years

12 plus 13 is 25. If you average that you get 12.5

Which was my point.

how long as Dawson got left on his contract with us? surely its time to move him on, we've had an issue with Ruck this season with Rory not being fit etc, but he just cant seem to get a run (the general consensus being he's not very mobile).

it just feels like he's not bringing enough to the table to warrant keeping him (I like him FTR).

how long as Dawson got left on his contract with us? surely its time to move him on, we've had an issue with Ruck this season with Rory not being fit etc, but he just cant seem to get a run (the general consensus being he's not very mobile).

it just feels like he's not bringing enough to the table to warrant keeping him (I like him FTR).
I agree if we're not going to play him now then it''s his time. Does mean we need to go for a ruck in the trade period this year in my view. I doubt Dawson is on much and with our cap I think it means a player trade of similar value. Ideally maybe a back or two, which look strong on our list. Lycett or Preust would be great if either could be sold on a move to Sydney, we'd have to take some pain to get either though. Preust contracted and North would want to keep him. Lycett a restricted free agent, but I doubt we have cash to throw so either a player trade or sell players elsewhere to get the space.

I think either Lycett or Preuest would only be a target if we're moving Lobb back to the forward line, in which case we're likely giving up on Flynn too as it would lock down both positions for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back