Current Trial David Eastman - Retrial

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Earlier, trial judge Justice Murray Kellam told jurors Eastman was found guilty "some years ago" of the murder of Colin Winchester.

He said after lengthy hearings that the guilty verdict was set aside and that decision should have no bearing on his new trial.

"Some evidence should not have been led, and as a consequence the accused did not get a fair trial," Justice Kellam told the jury.

David Eastman the man convicted of shooting Colin Winchester AFP and who had his conviction set aside is facing a new trial that opened today.

Link

Opening the trial of Eastman, crown prosecutor Murugan Thangaraj SC told the court Eastman had developed a murderous hatred of Australian Federal Police Assistant Commissioner Colin Winchester, whom he blamed for imperilling his bid to rejoin the Commonwealth Public Service.

Mr Winchester was shot twice in the head at close range as he parked in a driveway next to his Canberra home about 9.15pm on January 10, 1989.

"The killer did not need to have any particular expertise. The killer did not need to be a skilled marksman," Mr Thangaraj told the jury.

Eastman, 72, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Winchester, 55. The trial, before a jury of 16 men and women is set to last up to six moths.

I could never reconcile the vision of Eastman with that of a cold blooded killer. Not that I had any other suspect .

Do you recall this?

Yes i read the whole case transcript.
Along with Murdoch this fellow would be considered unlucky in court proceedings.

Can you share or do you have to wait?
It's all out in the public domain. He was released on a technicality, not because there was any significant evidence that he wasn't the perp. I've taken an interest in this case since the murder, probably because it was such big news when it happened and then when Eastman was charged, convicted and released. I also have quite a lot of faith in the jury system.

But, mental illness or not such an unlikely kind of ordinary assassin. Never found the gun either if I remember the reading right.
You mean as far as it being a mafia hit? That's not what I think, I reckon he acted alone and wasn't mentally ill, just vengeful.

I don't read or watch a lot of news but haven't seen much about this trial, which is surprising given how big a case it was. Five month trial wowee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back