2018 Music

Bloody hell, the new Melody's Echo Chamber record is great. She basically cut-out the middle-man and collaborated with Dungen instead of the Dungen-inspired Kevin Parker and the result is much more interesting and unique than her debut.

It's all over the place. Neo-psychedelia as you would expect, but in terms of the prog elements, it's hard to pin down. Parts seem like prog pop, but others sound like prog rock. The mellotron sounds like it comes straight out of a King Crimson song at times. Parts of it even sound ******* yé-yé influenced. Insane record in the best way possible.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bloody hell, the new Melody's Echo Chamber record is great. She basically cut-out the middle-man and collaborated with Dungen instead of the Dungen-inspired Kevin Parker and the result is much more interesting and unique than her debut.

It's all over the place. Neo-psychedelia as you would expect, but in terms of the prog elements, it's hard to pin down. Parts seem like prog pop, but others sound like prog rock. The mellotron sounds like it comes straight out of a King Crimson song at times. Parts of it even sound ******* yé-yé influenced. Insane record in the best way possible.
Sort of freaks me out she had that pretty serious injury with some coy wording around it, then she puts out an album called 'Bon Voyage...'

Kevin Parker shits me and the song I heard from the new album was like two minutes with about eight key changes and all these melodies just changing. Worth a suss?

Sort of freaks me out she had that pretty serious injury with some coy wording around it, then she puts out an album called 'Bon Voyage...'

Kevin Parker shits me and the song I heard from the new album was like two minutes with about eight key changes and all these melodies just changing. Worth a suss?
Much more interesting and unique than her debut record, imo. I imagine it will be a pretty divisive record. Some of it is a bit out there (i.e. the auto-tune on Desert Horse and Nick Allbrook's spoken word interlude on the one with the long French name), but I really do appreciate the direction she went in with it.

Agree with the whole Bon Voyage thing being a bit spooky. For what it's worth, I believed she announced that as the name of the project before her accident.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Much more interesting and unique than her debut record, imo. I imagine it will be a pretty divisive record. Some of it is a bit out there (i.e. the auto-tune on Desert Horse and Nick Allbrook's spoken word interlude on the one with the long French name), but I really do appreciate the direction she went in with it.

Agree with the whole Bon Voyage thing being a bit spooky. For what it's worth, I believed she announced that as the name of the project before her accident.
Nick Allbrook is on it? That's weird. Didn't she break up with Kevin Parker? The story I heard is he ****ed her over and she went a bit unhinged as a result.

Nick Allbrook is on it? That's weird. Didn't she break up with Kevin Parker? The story I heard is he ****** her over and she went a bit unhinged as a result.
I think her and Nick are good friends. Not sure what Nick's relationship with Kevin is like, but I also thought it was a bit weird. Not as weird as his bit on the album. Does a really weird spiel. All I could initially make out was: "Just wanna s**t all over myself when I die ... be declared brain dead in the Vatican".

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Whoa, new SOPHIE album is phenomenal.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Loving this. Can't wait for the Album.

Awesome! No solo's, but a good pumpkins track. at least, better than a lot of his material since Zwan days. crap mixing by Rubin, His voice is better lo-fi in pumpkins mixes, but I can dig this! I can just imagine it's a live take. It's pretty nice!

Album might actually be good, but i want solo's from billy and half decent lyrics.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I won't lie, i want a good album, Billy has James Iha and Jimmy for this.
I don't want to hear a record that is ONLY Billy and Jimmy and just plain riffing..
I think that's a fair call to make.

You have James, let him play. and Billy, for the love of god, just relax and channel your early years, please!

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Awesome! No solo's, but a good pumpkins track. at least, better than a lot of his material since Zwan days. crap mixing by Rubin, His voice is better lo-fi in pumpkins mixes, but I can dig this! I can just imagine it's a live take. It's pretty nice!

Album might actually be good, but i want solo's from billy and half decent lyrics.

Yeah I'm lucky enough to be seeing them in August when I'm in the US. Can't wait.

Back