Melbourne wanting to turn carpark into training oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
MELBOURNE Football Club has pitched a plan to build a new headquarters next to the MCG, with a training ground on Yarra Park.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Demons are eyeing a prized parcel of parkland, in the northeastern corner of the MCG precinct, for a full-sized football oval.

The bold proposal would also see a six-storey complex boasting an office wing, a world-class gym and medical facilities, built on top of rail tracks next to Jolimont Station.

Big no from me. MCG Park is not there’s to do as they please. Find somewhere else.

Maybe pay for a Jollimont upgrade.

mfcrox

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Joke if this happens. We’ve been boxed into our current boundaries by the Yarra park protection. That is annoying but fine, we accept it. But to then allow this on effectively the same land, no way.

Yarra Park... home of the M.C.G...
M.C.G.... home of the Melbourne Football Club.

If any club deserves that parcel of land, it is Melbourne.

Yeah **** off and leave yara park alone. It's a public space with lots of trees. People use it everyday for exercise, walking their dogs or just relaxing on the grass in the sunshine.

Alright. Bulldoze punt road oval.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
Out of interest; what are the ramifications if they took over the oval at Gosch's Paddock? Don't Victory and Storm train on the rectangle fields closer to AAMI?

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yarra Park... home of the M.C.G...
M.C.G.... home of the Melbourne Football Club.

If any club deserves that parcel of land, it is Melbourne.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time the MCG was Melbourne's training base?

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
First of all, it should be called "Wills Park", named after the great man -not insipid Yarra Park.

Also, the FIRST ever games of football were played in this general area, not the MCG -so its restoring football to its roots.

Finally, assuming GR teams can play/train on it when it is not required by MFC, it would also be beneficial for the community. With the boom in female AF, it is inevitable there will be a crisis in availability of ovals in about 2-3 years -problems are occuring already.

incubi

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2005
Northcote
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yarra Park is something worth protecting and it would cause havoc for the train line during the building- both rule it out as an option in my mind.
Why dont they build something in the parcel of land across from Goschs paddock/under the freeway? its just empty area covered in gravel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
So what has happened to Connolly's grand plan at Casey?And its a big NO to me taking Yarra Park land as far as Punt Roan oval goes its been there over 100 years.

According to this the hq would be built over train line and oval on large patch of grass. Essentially putting a fence on the grass that's already there. Doesn't seem as destructive as many in this thread making it out to be.
f0364ff40fcbe5fa343def8ebfbd7916.jpg

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just listened to former MCC CEO Stephen Gough on SEN talking about this. Amongst other things, he said that as the land is designated public parkland, the proposal would need an Act to go through Parliament to allow it. It was obvious from the things he said that this has very little chance of happening and probably ill-considered.

Just listened to former MCC CEO Stephen Gough on SEN talking about this. Amongst other things, he said that as the land is designated public parkland, the proposal would need an Act to go through Parliament to allow it. It was obvious from the things he said that this has very little chance of happening and probably ill-considered.

I'm wondering if this is a request designed to fail (like Eddie's stadium on Swan Street) in order to leverage govt for support elsewhere

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
According to this the hq would be built over train line and oval on large patch of grass. Essentially putting a fence on the grass that's already there. Doesn't seem as destructive as many in this thread making it out to be.
f0364ff40fcbe5fa343def8ebfbd7916.jpg
A bit more involved than just putting a fence up.

Ground needs to be levelled, proper drainage, trees would be moved or taken out, new turf put in.

Between Olympic Park, Gosch's Paddock and Punt Road Oval there is plenty of training facilities that Melbourne could use, I'm not sure why they need to take away from Yarra Park.

A bit more involved than just putting a fence up.

Ground needs to be levelled, proper drainage, trees would be moved or taken out, new turf put in.

Between Olympic Park, Gosch's Paddock and Punt Road Oval there is plenty of training facilities that Melbourne could use, I'm not sure why they need to take away from Yarra Park.
I think the only way it could get past the govt is if it could be built with minimal damage to the features of the park. Currently the area chosen is just a patch of grass used as a car park on the weekends, which the MCC has continuously moved to limit.

Melbourne have been nomads for years. It's about time we got a permanent home close to our traditional one. As much as I'd love the MCG as a training base its not going to happen.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the only way it could get past the govt is if it could be built with minimal damage to the features of the park. Currently the area chosen is just a patch of grass used as a car park on the weekends, which the MCC has continuously moved to limit.

Melbourne have been nomads for years. It's about time we got a permanent home close to our traditional one. As much as I'd love the MCG as a training base its not going to happen.
I get that.
Why not upgrade Gosch's Paddock? Seems like it would be less intrusive.

I get that.
I don't know the ins and outs of the ownership of the land there but I think it would certainly be difficult to find space near Aami park to build the club hq without stepping on the toes of the Storm and Victory.

The club has said that this is just one of a number of options. This is probably the most bold of the lot which is why the media are going to town with it.

I get that.
Challenge then is broader public access - Gosch’s is open to all. The issue is going to be access to facilities more broadly.

I don't know the ins and outs of the ownership of the land there but I think it would certainly be difficult to find space near Aami park to build the club hq without stepping on the toes of the Storm and Victory.

The club has said that this is just one of a number of options. This is probably the most bold of the lot which is why the media are going to town with it.

GP was flagged in January:

MELBOURNE Football Club is ramping up its plans to build a new, state-of-the-art training facility that can accommodate its football and administration departments under one roof.
Foxfooty.com.au can reveal president Glen Bartlett is heading up a working group that has discussed moving the administration and football staff to a small triangular pocket of land adjacent to Punt Road and the Yarra River and next to Goschs Paddock.

Melbourne University, Elsternwick Park and Docklands are three locations that have been floated as a potential new home for the Demons in the past. However, it’s understood the latest proposal — although in its formative stages — is being seriously considered.

The talks surrounding a move have only been preliminary discussions, but the very notion of another world-class facility in such a central location would be music to the ears for Demons fans and many staff members.

incubi

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2005
Northcote
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
GP was flagged in January:

MELBOURNE Football Club is ramping up its plans to build a new, state-of-the-art training facility that can accommodate its football and administration departments under one roof.
Foxfooty.com.au can reveal president Glen Bartlett is heading up a working group that has discussed moving the administration and football staff to a small triangular pocket of land adjacent to Punt Road and the Yarra River and next to Goschs Paddock.

Melbourne University, Elsternwick Park and Docklands are three locations that have been floated as a potential new home for the Demons in the past. However, it’s understood the latest proposal — although in its formative stages — is being seriously considered.

The talks surrounding a move have only been preliminary discussions, but the very notion of another world-class facility in such a central location would be music to the ears for Demons fans and many staff members.

This seems like the proposal which makes the most sense, at the moment the land they are referring to is just some bad grass with plenty of gravel, no one uses it or has any use for it - and its pretty much right next to the training oval they use at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back