Hawks dwindling crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

BTW Hawthorn will be fine. I think it is more a reflection of the league overall than of Hawthorn themselves.
shhhh don't say that people will get upset

Why don’t their fans show up?

A cause for concern.
The Hawks enjoyed a dominant decade from 2007-2016

10 seasons, 9 finals series, 6 Prelims, 5 GFs and 4 flags

The team has dropped out of contention and is going through a transitional period.

It’s only natural that the complacent fans find it hard to get excited about AFL footy and become more picky about the games we go to. We’re no different to any other club in that regard.

When the club rebuilds and goes back up the ladder, you’ll see the bandwagon fans return to the fold just like they do at every other club.

Hawthorn make a shitload of money from their various revenue streams, so their declining attendances would be less of a concern than it would be for other clubs who struggle to break even.

——————————————

Why do people obsess about membership levels and attendances at AFL matches?

I’ve never understand why folks on Big Footy get consumed with this s**t.

I’m a fan of AC/DC and Radiohead. Great bands. Got all their albums, followed their careers and seen them play. But that’s as far as my interest goes. I could not give a rat’s arse how much money they make or how many tickets they sell on their world tours.

Footy fans can be such dorks.

Lol go the man, not the ball nice. This has absolutely 0 to do with the Suns. How about just keep it on topic? ;)

BTW Hawthorn will be fine. I think it is more a reflection of the league overall than of Hawthorn themselves.

Just following on from your comment.

The profits from ground rationalisation in Melbourne largely go to the AFL, giving them the money to do other things, like fund expansion clubs.

The team has dropped out of contention and is going through a transitional period.

It’s only natural that the complacent fans find it hard to get excited about AFL footy and become more picky about the games we go to. We’re no different to any other club in that regard.

When the club rebuilds and goes back up the ladder, you’ll see the bandwagon fans return to the fold just like they do at every other club.

Hawthorn make a shitload of money from their various revenue streams, so their declining attendances would be less of a concern than it would be for other clubs who struggle to break even.

——————————————

I’m a fan of AC/DC and Radiohead. Great bands. Got all their albums, followed their careers and seen them play. But that’s as far as my interest goes. I could not give a rat’s arse how much money they make or how many tickets they sell on their world tours.

Footy fans can be such dorks.
In case you ever worry about the financial position of Aker Daker and Radiohead I’ve heard they’re doing alright

Similar to Dogs stranglehold on the West. Hawks could have been kings of the East.

Moving to Dingley is a waste. They should base themselves in Box Hill. The biggest hub outside the CBD.

Would cost an absolutely massive amount to try and base in Box Hill though.

In Victoria the big clubs are;

Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

These for clubs when winning would ave 40,000 of their own supporters to their home games

Then you have the mid size clubs who would ave 30,000 of their own supporters when winning to their home games

Hawthorn
Geelong
Melbourne

Then you have the small clubs who would ave 25,000 if their supporters to their home games

St.kilda
Western Bulldogs

The we have wee little North Melbourne who would ave 20,000

What helps hawthorn say being bigger then Geelong and Melbourne is the big interstate supporter base. The hawks have 10,000 members in Tasmania and have big supporter base in Queensland and Western Australia.

I would actually say outside Victoria the only Victorian clubs who have more interstate supporters are Collingwood and Essendon and maybe Carlton

…(insert snort icon here)...you should have heard them whinge and bitch after the NM v Richmond game in Hobart a year or two back...
To be fair, I was at that match and it was in the top three coldest football matches I've been to across Tasmania in over 40 years, that night.
I've been to football matches in England in the middle of their Winter years ago and this was probably even colder. I don't think the temperature got above 6 all afternoon and was about 2 by the bounce and the windchill was well into the minuses.
Coldest I've stood in was close to -10 for an U/19s game at New Norfolk (Boyer Oval) once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

These for clubs when winning would ave 40,000 of their own supporters to their home games

Then you have the mid size clubs who would ave 30,000 of their own supporters when winning to their home games

Hawthorn
Geelong
Melbourne

Then you have the small clubs who would ave 25,000 if their supporters to their home games

St.kilda
Western Bulldogs

What helps hawthorn say being bigger then Geelong and Melbourne is the big interstate supporter base. The hawks have 10,000 members in Tasmania and have big supporter base in Queensland and Western Australia.

I would actually say outside Victoria the only Victorian clubs who have more interstate supporters are Collingwood and Essendon and maybe Carlton
I agree with your sensible post.

The Hawks have grown from being one of the smallest clubs (VFL era) to a medium size club, due to their premiership successes starting from the 1970's (colour TV, national broadcast). This in turn has created a large interstate following as well.

Furthermore, the Hawks are still growing as the kids that jumped on board from the recent 3 peat have not matured yet.

Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

Hawthorn
Geelong
Melbourne

St.kilda
Western Bulldogs

Those numbers have some value, but the rusted on numbers (folks that show up win, lose or draw), would be closer to:

Collingwood - 30K
Essendon - 25 K
Richmond- 25K
Carlton - 20-25K
Hawthorn - 15 to 20K
Melbourne - 15K (+ some MCC members)
Geelong - 15K
St.kilda - 15K
Western Bulldogs - 15K
North - 15K

Those numbers have some value, but the rusted on numbers (folks that show up win, lose or draw), would be closer to:

Collingwood - 30K
Essendon - 25 K
Richmond- 25K
Carlton - 20-25K
Hawthorn - 15 to 20K
Geelong - 15K
St.kilda - 15K
Western Bulldogs - 15K
North - 15K
You are either a jealous troll or delusional to say that North has the same crowd pulling power as Hawthorn, Melbourne and Geelong.

——————————————

Footy fans can be such dawks.

*Edited spelling*

You are either a jealous troll or delusional to say that North has the same crowd pulling power as Hawthorn, Melbourne and Geelong.

Rusted ons? It wouldn't be far off.

I'd need to see how much bounce the current numbers would have if the Hawks sustained a prolonged downturn like the mid 90's when sub 20K home crowds were a common event.

BTW, you're the delusional one if you think I believe the Hawthorn fan base is something to aspire to.

Rusted ons? It wouldn't be far off.

I'd need to see how much bounce the current numbers would have if the Hawks sustained a prolonged downturn like the mid 90's when sub 20K home crowds were a common event.

BTW, you're the delusional one if you think I believe the Hawthorn fan base is something to aspire to.

Drop north and bulldogs rusted on supporters to 10000 and you would be closer.

Amazing how footy fans and the media were ok when Hawthorn dominated football with 4 flags yet a single Richmond flag has sent the footy world into fruit loop mode.

Media have articles on how to beat Richmond on the TV,really funny.

One Richmond flag is like any other team winning five in a row.

Amazing how footy fans and the media were ok when Hawthorn dominated football with 4 flags yet a single Richmond flag has sent the footy world into fruit loop mode.

Media have articles on how to beat Richmond on the TV,really funny.

One Richmond flag is like any other team winning five in a row.
you must not have paid attention to the media during the threepeat

plenty of articles and discussions on TV on how to beat the Hawks, the media's job is to pump up the tyres of the competition, pump up the underdog, talk up the comeback

Bruce the classic example, side is 10 goals down, kick a goal, You just feel this could be the start of something

Collingwood - 30K
Essendon - 25 K
Richmond- 25K
Carlton - 20-25K
Hawthorn - 15 to 20K
Geelong - 15K
St.kilda - 15K
Western Bulldogs - 15K
North - 15K

Collingwood 30k? They've drawn 17k and 22k to home games in the last couple of seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back