Sydney's dominance over West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
cousins was an amazing player in his work ethic - he would run himself into the ground - as would kerr. You would see both of them bent over in absolute exhaustion when they went to the sidelines. His kicking let him down a bit - would shank a couple per match - but he could run and run.

it is difficult to remember just how good the west coast midfield was - around 2001-3 they routinely destroyed the brisbane midfield - voss, lappin, akermanis, power, black, ashcroft, johnson were just brushed aside routinely. it was a genuinely amazing thing.

their current side only runs forward and cheats a bit. on the weekend they had 3-4 players running as a wave forwards on 3-4 occasions because they had all broken forwards from a stoppage. You never saw that going backwards. Even their fast break goals our midfielders were the ones heading back faster, its just that the eagles players often got goal side

We've been lucky at times to get West Coast when they were either not on or just got them at the right time of the season. Bolton got us out of trouble one night. Getting them after the Derby wasn't the worst thing either. I think it's just one of those good runs where we've been very good and lucky a couple of times. Enjoyable period I must say but we are in a worse boat against the pies over a longer period with a couple of good wins thrown in.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Even the game in 2011, didn't Rohan or Everitt have to save our ass in the last quarter? Remember it most as AJ's debut.
Yep remember that game, though they were actually good that year (made the prelim).

Crazy John

Senior List
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Cousins was about 3 classes above anything dane swan did

He was west coast by himself before judd got there

People forget how good he was

Cousins was a better player than Swan, can't argue with that.

Agree that he carried the Eagles prior to Judd being drafted, especially during the Ken Judge years.

He was a star from his first season, where as Swan didn't hit his straps until 2007.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
They spanked us Rnd 17 last year at Subi. So not so dominant

I was gonna say, didnt we lost to them last year.

"Round 17, 2015 saw West Coast end its' eight-game losing streak against the Swans with a 52-point victory, its biggest win over the club since 2005.

West Coast 15.13 (103) defeated Sydney 7.9 (51)."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
In short, I think they just aren't that good. They had a decent 2011 and 2012 but their problems seem to be in the midfield. Watching them live they don't work hard enough with or without the ball, the Swans found free players far too easily and when the Eagles did have possession they were hardly threatening, and didn't go forward with any great purpose.
In other words, they need to be juiced up to win?

In other words, they need to be juiced up to win?

Without going back down (horrible)memory lane, I read a pretty in-depth article about the Eagles' culture throughout the 2000's and at the end of the day I still feel for the players. As much as I didn't like Cousins or Kerr or Gardiner or Fletcher or Sampi at the time, they were just young blokes in their mid-20's who were struggling with public attention and addiction. The management at that club was absolutely putrid and their attempts to paper over the cracks rather than hold their players accountable sent the wrong message entirely. The club basically used those players for on-field success then hung them out to dry when the going got tough.

I mean if the club had any dignity they would've gotten rid of both Kerr and Cousins when they belted the crap out of each other at a night-club and Kerr threw Cousins down the stairs and broke his arm. Or at the very least gave them the discipline they needed to make sure both of them were never in trouble again. It was only once they got their precious flag that they developed some sort of moral compass and started really making the tough calls on those players.

Without going back down (horrible)memory lane, I read a pretty in-depth article about the Eagles' culture throughout the 2000's and at the end of the day I still feel for the players. As much as I didn't like Cousins or Kerr or Gardiner or Fletcher or Sampi at the time, they were just young blokes in their mid-20's who were struggling with public attention and addiction. The management at that club was absolutely putrid and their attempts to paper over the cracks rather than hold their players accountable sent the wrong message entirely. The club basically used those players for on-field success then hung them out to dry when the going got tough.

I mean if the club had any dignity they would've gotten rid of both Kerr and Cousins when they belted the crap out of each other at a night-club and Kerr threw Cousins down the stairs and broke his arm. Or at the very least gave them the discipline they needed to make sure both of them were never in trouble again. It was only once they got their precious flag that they developed some sort of moral compass and started really making the tough calls on those players.
I feel sorry for the likes of Judd, Big Cox, Embley, Wirrpanda etc - the clean skins that had to put up with all that crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back