Player Watch #24: Ben Griffiths - retired effectively immediately

Will he play for the Tigers at AFL level again?

• Yes

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 114 67.9%

• Total voters

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
“I was only talking to mum not that long ago, saying, ‘I haven’t had a migraine in about a year now’,” Griffith said.

Little wonder he couldn't really have a good crack at it the last season or two. It must play on your mind every time you go out, what if I cop another concussion.
Wasn't a great one for carrying injuries at the best of times, but you can't really play good footy like that.

Good to hear Griff is doing well. Easy to forget sometimes the stuff that happens outside the public's eye and the individual trials and tribulations every player and their family goes through; but is a bit scary to think of the ongoing/after effects of concussions. At the end of the day, it's just a game, definitely should be putting your health and well being first. I think he made the right call - plus getting a degree from a pretty impressive institution could open all sorts of doors for his professional career.

Good to hear Griff is doing well. Easy to forget sometimes the stuff that happens outside the public's eye and the individual trials and tribulations every player and their family goes through; but is a bit scary to think of the ongoing/after effects of concussions. At the end of the day, it's just a game, definitely should be putting your health and well being first. I think he made the right call - plus getting a degree from a pretty impressive institution could open all sorts of doors for his professional career.
Had a chat to him the other day at the airport, arrived back from the states. Loving it there and it's going well. Looked good.

Had a chat to him the other day at the airport, arrived back from the states. Loving it there and it's going well. Looked good.

Great news, cheers for sharing. I hope Benny G has a really successful career in the states...:thumbsu:

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Follow a bit of the college scene couldn't find Bens name on the USC roster anywhere. 3 kickers named he wasn't one of them . Does anyone know if lists are updated closer to season starting. It's a bit odd he has a scholarship but isn't listed

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
How does Ben Griffiths get a gig in this farcical long kick comp, when he walked out after the trade period ,leaving us 1 player short for the year? Silvagni from Carlton included GMAB, he's the biggest dud in AFL , it's amazing what your Dad can do for you when your at Carlton! Should have been Sam Lloyd for Richmond.

How does Ben Griffiths get a gig in this farcical long kick comp, when he walked out after the trade period ,leaving us 1 player short for the year? Silvagni from Carlton included GMAB, he's the biggest dud in AFL , it's amazing what your Dad can do for you when your at Carlton! Should have been Sam Lloyd for Richmond.

Taking a pretty unimportant and fun competition a little too serious maybe?

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Because Griff is still on our list. Personally I think this is a nice way for the club to embrace him.

Maybe we want to check his form out and offer him a new contract, with the extended goal squares coming in.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Because Griff is still on our list. Personally I think this is a nice way for the club to embrace him.

Maybe we want to check his form out and offer him a new contract, with the extended goal squares coming in.
Yeah nah if he wanted to leave he should have done it before the draft , not in January

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Calm your farm mate. He took them up on it as soon as he got the offer. American University’s give their offers when it suits them, not to coincide with the trade period of an obscure sport on the other side of the world
Well didn't he put his own personal interests ahead of the club?When did it become cool to swap to a different sport, after final lists are in? Especially when we are short of quality tall forwards.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
we want to try to win everything dont we?

hanshotfirst

Senior List
Sep 21, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Get your hand off it mate
"Griffiths — who became synonymous with his black helmet at Richmond — endured a Two-and-a-half-month lay-off in 2017 because of multiple concussions.

But he said he hadn’t felt any lingering symptoms for 12 months — and that his decision to quit AFL was because of his aspirations outside of footy.

“I was only talking to mum not that long ago, saying, ‘I haven’t had a migraine in about a year now’,” Griffith said.

“The concussion side of stuff wasn’t really a factor in the decision in the end. I was cleared to play at the end of last year and came back to finish off the year."

This is clearly a fluff piece for the Richmond faithful, bloody hell if he's getting migraines form concussions, bloke should have retired much earlier.

From what I understand with reoccurring head trauma in sports (studied this at uni, albeit probs not to the level as law degree Tom Browne), it will be the formation of scar tissue over time, well past the actual incident of trauma which is the issue. So in his 40s and 50s he may show the cognitive impairment of an 80 and 90 year old (CTE).

I say may as the direct link of scar tissue in the brain and CTE is not well known, however what is known is that CTE is in much higher prevalence in retired sportsmen (in contact sports) than the general population.

I would say Griffiths decision to try out to become a punter, (not even guaranteed to make it) which happens to e a position that rarely gets tackled, over a guaranteed 2nd tall position at Richmond was very much influenced by his past concussion history.

Tiger_4_Life

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
This is clearly a fluff piece for the Richmond faithful, bloody hell if he's getting migraines form concussions, bloke should have retired much earlier.

From what I understand with reoccurring head trauma in sports (studied this at uni, albeit probs not to the level as law degree Tom Browne), it will be the formation of scar tissue over time, well past the actual incident of trauma which is the issue. So in his 40s and 50s he may show the cognitive impairment of an 80 and 90 year old (CTE).

I say may as the direct link of scar tissue in the brain and CTE is not well known, however what is known is that CTE is in much higher prevalence in retired sportsmen (in contact sports) than the general population.

I would say Griffiths decision to try out to become a punter, (not even guaranteed to make it) which happens to e a position that rarely gets tackled, over a guaranteed 2nd tall position at Richmond was very much influenced by his past concussion history.

Griff while no guarantees of making it will go very close.. His hang time and distance is nfl elite and if he can be consistent with his punts he will make it.

TiggyTig

All Australian
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

And the money he could make by just getting through would dwarf anything he’s likely to be offered playing AFL

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Yes fair enough, but he could have done it b4 lists were finalised dont you think

Back