Opinion Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent at Geelong?

Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Just wondering would you Marc Murphy as a free agent?
We know the positives ( Gun player, a leader etc)
And the opposite? ( in his 30s, take a spot of a young kid etc)
Let the discussion begin.

Nah. I really like Murphy but can’t see where he fits considering he has to play midfield. Even next year I’d want Parfitt playing more midfield time as well as Fogarty moving up the field some more in time.

And problem is he's a straight mid. Can't really play anywhere else. Unless happy to play in reserves unless one or two of Danger, Ablett, Selwood, Duncan or Mendgola is injured. Even then we should really be playing Cunico and Constable.
Sounds like he doesn't want a lot of cash, and as a UFA it has some appeal but not sure if we need an injury prone 30yo

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends completely on his wage demands. On minimum wage at no trade cost anyone would be mad not to have him. Obviously as the wage goes up there is a point where it stops being beneficial. I don't know how much cap space we've got but if he's happy to be outside our top 10-12 earners then it's probably worth it. Similar to Dahlhaus I'd say.

Dahlhaus an option? I've always liked him (ex-Falcon too!).
Regarding Murphy, I can't see where he'd fit in our side (ie doesn't fill a gap - I mean, can he ruck?)
Still, I like that he has appeared to nominate us, maybe watching other ex-Carlton players in Hendo and Touhy singing after a win has some appeal.

He’s a very good player who on paper would add more class to the team. Sounds like he’d move on cheap wages and won’t cost draft picks. Where does he play? And would we be bringing in another player that spends half the year in rehab? If he tells geelong he wants to come for a cheap contract I can’t see geelong saying no. Does it mean Danger and potentillay Ablett play forward almost permanently?

There’s potentially a lot of benefit but it’s with significant risks. It’d be great for the young mids training and playing with Ablett, Danger, Murphy and Selwood. But could also stifle their development in terms of where they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back