Where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a definite blow and top two is probably gone.

The boys could react to this in two ways: either we sweep it under the rug and write it off as a bad day, or it could have a longer term, scarring effect. One outcome seems to happen as often as the other. The boys looked absolutely mentally shot.

That being said, it's important not to be too melodramatic. We are still a good chance to finish top four and if we peak at the right time we're always a chance.

Yeah they to just focus on how they've been playing and keep believing. I feel it's mostly mental.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
How can they be mentally shot after losing 1 game in 3 months?

It wasn't just a loss. It was a horrible loss at home against a bottom 10 side. Of course, it's a lot more than those facts, but it's demoralising. Also the fact our lack of forward depth was revealed. We had chances but looked so piss weak, which is worrying. I'm not giving up myself, we just have to keep believing.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Absolute ferocious attack on the ball starting next week. Absolutely demand a response after that unacceptable uncompetitive effort. At least we actually got within a bulls roar in the last 3 quarters. That is not on.

I have a feeling we'll beat the Crows. If we don't I think we're finished. No top 4 and possibly not even finals.

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Dead straight its over. The fall began last quarter against the shitty saints

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

But I’m sure you will still be here “supporting” the team right! :rolleyes: Your posting continues to plumb the depths, words fail me.

To the question at hand. A forward line restructure is needed! Need to find some pace and try and bring the ball in with a bit more efficiency. I thought Fraser made some good contests tonight, but Lycett was poor and those two hurt our balance. I think McIness out. If Barrass is fit, bring him in and Schofield out. Have Lycett as starting FF surrounded by the smalls. And then move Gov forward if required.
On second thoughts, Schofield might need to stay in for next week, with Walker and Jenkins to be covered. It’s an interesting one!

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
But I’m sure you will still be here “supporting” the team right! :rolleyes: Your posting continues to plumb the depths, words fail me.

To the question at hand. A forward line restructure is needed! Need to find some pace and try and bring the ball in with a bit more efficiency. I thought Fraser made some good contests tonight, but Lycett was poor and those two hurt our balance. I think McIness out. If Barrass is fit, bring him in and Schofield out. Have Lycett as starting FF surrounded by the smalls. And then move Gov forward if required.
On second thoughts, Schofield might need to stay in for next week, with Walker and Jenkins to be covered. It’s an interesting one!

Given we'll probs keeping bombing in Lycett forward makes sense. Barass needs to contain Walker for sure.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
How can they be mentally shot after losing 1 game in 3 months?

The mental toll that sustaining a long winning streak amongst several bruising encounters appears to have made them complacent, disinterested, or both.

Not sure how you got 1 game in 3 months given we've lost two in 6 days but to simply say that the boys must be motivated and mentally energised because of our season-long W/L ratio is pretty silly. Do you not think there was a mental component in tonight's loss?

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Every team in the comp has flat periods and if that's what we're in now I think we'll eventually come out of it and still be a good shot for top 4...However, if we've overcooked our pre-season or our kids have hit the wall then we're in trouble. Next week will be decisive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hungrytiger

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Ins JK, Ahchee, Sheed, Venables, , Petruccelle and one of Barrass or Emac. Outs Mcinnes, Masten, Hutchings, Nelson, Lecras and Schofield

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Every team in the comp has flat periods and if that's what we're in now I think we'll eventually come out of it and still be a good shot for top 4...However, if we've overcooked our pre-season or our kids have hit the wall then we're in trouble. Next week will be decisive.
The mental toll that sustaining a long winning streak amongst several bruising encounters appears to have made them complacent, disinterested, or both.

Not sure how you got 1 game in 3 months given we've lost two in 6 days but to simply say that the boys must be motivated and mentally energised because of our season-long W/L ratio is pretty silly. Do you not think there was a mental component in tonight's loss?

Yeah I could see the complacency against the Saints. Maybe the young kids aren't quite mature/battle hardened enough to keep it up? If this isn't a kick up the backside nothing will be. But they have to be positive and still believe. We were far from our best, and I think even with the two big forwards out there's a way.

Cm Perfect

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Dorset, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
My 2c:

A big part of our improvement this year from mid-table to looking like top 4/premiership contenders was Darling's improvement. He was massive in the wins against Port and GWS, then went to another level (Carey-esque) with a monster game against Richmond.

That would have given the other boys so much confidence, having a dominant key forward who you can just kick it to instinctively does wonders for a team. The opposition's defenders get nervous, try to double team him and the other forwards get open looks at goal.

Remove Darling's impact and we likely wouldn't have gone on that run of 10 straight, would have dropped a few and remained mid-table as per last year.
With him injured, it brings us back to the pack a bit, and our gameplan built around kicking long to strong contested marking forwards is no longer effective.

Unfortunately tonight we didn't account for this, and tried to play in the same way, with McInnes playing the Darling role (lol). We need a plan b for when our key forwards are out - maybe a more pressure-based game where we just lock it in, gain territory and manufacture goals through our mids and small/medium forwards. Our defence is solid so we should be comfortable playing a low-scoring Sydney-style game plan when we're in a pinch.

It's unrealistic playing as though McInnes and Lycett are the equivalent of JD & JK, and it has a confidence-sapping effect on the team when it doesn't work. Also footy players aren't that smart where they can just switch gameplan on the fly. It needs to be worked on during the week and drummed in in advance so they're prepared.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Tigers got belted by Adelaide. Sydney got belted by port. Neither of those clubs are in a crisis. Stfu with these rubbish threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Not panic stations. We're in a good position with Crows in a bit of a state next match. Hard to expect a team to never lose and 10-3 is not bad.

Pressure comes on those who either have never had credits in the bank, or are running out of them however.

Hutch and Cripps can be dropped.

I'd be tempted to let Frase have second ruck after Lycett's game.

Obviously need to wait for the WAFL to see who else to bring in, but some leg speed would be great.
Ah Chee has to come back in and Hutchings dropped is starters!

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
haha some of you "supporters" are sickening.

It's like you don't enjoy following the club you wait and wait and then when there's a little bit of a hiccup you pounce and pump this negative shite and it's the end of the world. We are 10-3, pull your heads in.

Amazing all the posters that come out once we are loosing.

We have lost three games : 2 x second ( swans) on the ladder a 15 point game away and a 25 point loss at home and then a loss to an average team by 28 at home.

Surely thats mot season over?

That Swans game last week was a pretty intense game from start to finish so there would have been heaps of sore bodys + travel and a 6 day break v a bombers team off a bye in decent form leading into this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back