Opinion Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent at Geelong?

Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First caveat - you can never have too many good players. Those saying he would not get a game in our best 22 if he was fit are kidding themselves.

But - he doesn't seem to fill a screaming need and would make us older. Unless.....Gaz only has this year left in him. If he is done at the end of this season (and at age 34 it has to be a consideration), then I would green light a cheap Murphy acquisition.

Otherwise, then I would respectfully decline.

Rory Sloane is definitely coming to Geelong, Danger will get him over here! + why? Danger said Sloane has to drive 1.5 hours to go Surfing. Danger is constantly posting pix of the Surf from his balcony.
I don't know about that, the media is confident Sloane will end up at Hawthorn at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ablett was 34, dodgy shoulders and dodgy hammy and no leadership abilities and he wasnt even a free agent.

just saying.

Interesting. You left out the part that this particular 34-year-old with dodgy shoulders and hamstrings is also a club legend (as was his dad), not to mention him being one of, if not the greatest midfielder of all time. The recruitment of Ablett was a unique situation given his Geelong history and the fact we're in a premiership window and he may contribute to winning another flag. Not to mention the financial and marketing aspect of his recruitment. But I guess that doesn't suit your narrative does it?

I guess he’s probably been on big coin the last 10 years playing for a s**t team so we’d probably pay him SFA, he’s after some finals and won’t get them at Carlton.

or a key position tall

IMO only as a cheap depth player, a bit like Crameri. His role would be to backup our other 30+ midfielders/forwards.

We do seem to like potting our fringe players here but at the same time thinking players from other clubs wouldn't improve us. The idea that Murphy would be only a depth player is laughable. Pretty sure similar was said about Thuoy, Henderson and S Selwood who have all shown their quality. If fit Murphy is at least as good as Kelly and that puts him comfortably in our best 15 let alone best 22.

he probably would, but I wouldn't want him to; not when we're starting to see the rise of the next Cats team. adding another old vet when the younger midfielders are getting games in together would inhibit their progress IMO. I'd want him only as cheap, but high quality insurance.
basically I feel the same way as bringing, Henderson and Taylor back in defense, one fine, but not both unless there's an injury/suspension/rest.

Getting angy at all this s**t all the time. Geelong are full I would've preferred Motlop but not Caddy over Marc Murphy.

Hate to do it amd this probably isn't the right place but I'm going to use common sense.

If Murph wants Geelong and will sign for $300k or so then why wouldn't you do it? In all honesty would yoy prefer Murph, Murder or Hyphen being on the list on roughly the same coin.

As for where he plays, almost every position is midfield anyway as our game has progressed to the rolling maul that is under 9's, complete with ruck nominations and any real physical contact being frowned upon.

Be a more than handy midfield rotation that could step up in case of injury/suspension/general soreness.

Also doesn't count us out of getting a ruck either which I agree is a glaring need.

Yeah, I reckon we tend to give points-relative-to-expectation to be honest. The bar for a five for Dangerwoodlett is a lot higher than the bar for a five for someone who we desperately want to see do well.

Not that they are entirely conclusive, but Stanley scored 149 supercoach points last week - the next best was Selwood on 117. They were equal best in terms of dream team, with 113 each. That includes both teams, by the way (which really goes to show how even Richmond's performance was across their whole team).

Again, ranking points don't prove much, but they do have some value. In any case, I don't think it's necessarily 'over-egging' it to suggest that Stanley was BOG - certainly if we're only talking about Geelong players. Selwood and Stanley were pretty much unanimously voted as best/second best in our MVP thread, and they were the only two Geelong players to receive coaches votes.

Interesting. You left out the part that this particular 34-year-old with dodgy shoulders and hamstrings is also a club legend (as was his dad), not to mention him being one of, if not the greatest midfielder of all time. The recruitment of Ablett was a unique situation given his Geelong history and the fact we're in a premiership window and he may contribute to winning another flag. Not to mention the financial and marketing aspect of his recruitment. But I guess that doesn't suit your narrative does it?
You left out the part of murphys abilities too. All i did was a direct comparison of the attributes you thought were the only ones worth pointing out. Dont shoot the messenger of facts. I wasnt giving you my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back