Hawks dwindling crowds

That's been a known fact for decades.

I'd be embarrassed if literally half of our supporters comprised of flogs who came down in the last shower, especially considering the loyal supporters put up with decades of misery, much of it self-inflicted, but they stuck with the club.

I hope we build sustainable growth over a long period of time, not collect a tsunami of flogs that are all of a sudden taking finals seats from supporters who were there for all the dark years.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What a snobbish thing to say. I'm proud of how normal Dogs fans rattled tins and showed fight when our club was nearly taken away from us. A small fan base from a low socioeconomic area fought to save their club as soon as talk of a takeover began.

I'd rather rattle tins and show some passion then do bugger all to fight a merger until Don Scott finally awoke an apathetic fan base. It's hard to fathom that a club with such a huge supporter base only 5 years after an absolutely dominant era nearly merged and actually had thousands of fans vote to do so.

This is actually about the tiggy tigers who went the tin rattle 5 years after 1982. Unfortunately Jack Dyer is no longer around to save them, neither is Alan Bond :(

Since 2000 Hawthorn have only averaged higher home attandences than Richmond twice in 2002 and 2010

Well flog. Since 2001 Hawthorn has played home games at a venue that has a sub 20,000 capacity. That fact that Hawthorn outdrew Richmond for home games when 36% of their homers were at venues that were sub 20k is absolutely deplorable

Home and away attendances is a different matter entirely and as you know, in spite of playing 4 of 22 home and away games in a country paddock Hawthorn has outdrawn Richmond in more seasons then not since 2009.

I think it’s cute that the tiggy tigers finally got a semi decent attendance vs a non Vic club last year (57000 vs the Swans). I mean Hawthorn has been drawing 50k or more to Hawks v swans games for most seasons since 2007 (50k in 2007-08, 54k in 2013, 73k in 2014, 63k in 2015-16, 52k in 2017)

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
This is actually about the tiggy tigers who went the tin rattle 5 years after 1982. Unfortunately Jack Dyer is no longer around to save them, neither is Alan Bond :(

Well flog. Since 2001 Hawthorn has played home games at a venue that has a sub 20,000 capacity. That fact that Hawthorn outdrew Richmond for home games when 36% of their homers were at venues that were sub 20k is absolutely deplorable

Home and away attendances is a different matter entirely and as you know, in spite of playing 4 of 22 home and away games in a country paddock Hawthorn has outdrawn Richmond in more seasons then not since 2009.

I think it’s cute that the tiggy tigers finally got a semi decent attendance vs a non Vic club last year (57000 vs the Swans). I mean Hawthorn has been drawing 50k or more to Hawks v swans games for most seasons since 2007 (50k in 2007-08, 54k in 2013, 73k in 2014, 63k in 2015-16, 52k in 2017)
Hawthorn supporters and their minnow club syndrome how sad

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I hope we build sustainable growth over a long period of time, not collect a tsunami of flogs that are all of a sudden taking finals seats from supporters who were there for all the dark years.
North Melbourne have the best value 11 game memberships in the league.

For the cost of a 3 game membership they are practically giving them away.

Every Kangaroos supporter should be a member with that sort of deal.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
I'm not sure why this would be a surprise to anyone.

Hawthorn fans have historically been among the worst fair weather supporters in the game.
You know that's not fair Jade - you can't pin pre-2008 crowds on the current cohort, they weren't even Hawthorn fans at the time.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Please tell me why the AFL allows Hawthorn to play home games in front of no one interstate, but doesn't allow Geelong to play 11 HOME games.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd be embarrassed if literally half of our supporters comprised of flogs who came down in the last shower, especially considering the loyal supporters put up with decades of misery, much of it self-inflicted, but they stuck with the club.

Let's be honest. You would give your right nut for a tsunami of flogs to sign up as North members and pack out Etihad Stadium and MCG during one of your good seasons

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Please tell me why the AFL allows Hawthorn to play home games in front of no one interstate, but doesn't allow Geelong to play 11 HOME games.
It's an AFL conspiracy to give Hawthorn whatever they want and stick it to Geelong wherever possible.
We have our secret plants working diligently behind the scenes to make this happen.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Why was your home game last week at MCG?
Because the AFL need 45 games played at Etihad, and 45 games played at the MCG due to contractual obligations, and with Hawthorn, North, Melbourne and Bulldogs selling home games, the AFL was two short (9*11 = 99, 4+3+2+2 = 11, 99-11 = 88, 90-88 =2) Funny how those numbers add up so well. So Geelong has to fill the void left behind by clubs who sell home games.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Comfortably lowest ever Hawthorn crowd for a match in Tasmania - 9,007.

But considering how much of a spruiker Kennett has been for Hawks in Tas over the years, what odds he’ll gloss over this poor crowd and still push the PR of how great Hawthorn has been for Tasmanian football?

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Because Geelong want the money from playing the big teams like Hawks, Tigers, Bombers & Pies at the G.

They also have a lot of Melbourne based supporters so like to keep them happy too.

And they like to get a bit more exposure at the MCG to help them win finals.

They’ve cleverly been able to do all that and convince their fans it’s some sort of conspiracy theory and injustice that they don’t play 11 home games at a botique non-metropolitan stadium.

Fair play to them!

Last edited:
May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
More a sign that Tasmania is too small for its own AFL team rather than a reflection on Hawthorn.
This is the dumbest conclusion ever to draw. It's a ****in blow in FIFO Vic team just down there to milk them. If I was Tasmanian I wouldn't go to a single game out of principle, let alone ones that I hate like Hawthorn and North at the best of times so why would I want to pay good money to watch them?

A proper team would be totally different, I mean look how they pack out Hobart when the Hurricanes play in the Big Bash because it's an actual Tassie team.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Because it makes sense to play low drawing games at smaller grounds and still collect a million for it. Gold Coast at the G today would have struggled to get 20k. Your CEO agrees, he is on record saying he wanted 9 of the lower drawing games at Kardinia and was happy for the 2 big ones to be at the G.

I know a Richmond ''supporter'' who seemingly just used to the grand final as an excuse to get drunk/stoned.
Half the time this person doesn't even know who they are playing each week.

I know a North Melbourne supporter..... wait, no I don't.

Back