Red Cards in Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Kent Brockman

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seriously. When a player intentionally/recklessly takes another player out of the game, a suspension isn't enough.

Jeremy Cameron will get 4 weeks for his hit on Harris Andrews, but that doesn't change the fact that Brisbane are now without their best player for the rest of the game. Red cards work in soccer, why not in footy too?

I'm not suggesting that red cards be thrown out for any incident that causes harm to another player - a dangerous tackle, or an accidental head-high bump shouldn't result in a red card. But when it is as messed up as this incident, surely it is justified?

The hit in question: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-23/andrews-knocked-out-by-crude-hit

Last edited:
Seriously. When a player intentionally/recklessly takes another player out of the game, a suspension isn't enough.

Jeremy Cameron will get 4 weeks for his hit on Harris Andrews, but that doesn't change the fact that Brisbane are now without their best player for the rest of the game.

I'm not suggesting that red cards be thrown out for any incident that causes harm to another player - but when it is as messed up as this incident, surely it is justified?

Makes sense which most likely means the AFL will not even consider it sadly.

I dont mind a red card system, Brisbane get disadvantaged this week, Hawks get GWS without Cameron next week.

Doubt Brisbane will have Andrews available next week either.

Nah..... they would rarely if ever get used... and we would also have to endure months of bullshit debate in the media.

They would have been interesting 30 years ago.

Jeremy Cameron will get 4 weeks for his hit on Harris Andrews, but that doesn't change the fact that Brisbane are now without their best player for the rest of the game. Red cards work in soccer, why not in footy too?

I'm not suggesting that red cards be thrown out for any incident that causes harm to another player - a dangerous tackle, or an accidental head-high bump shouldn't result in a red card. But when it is as messed up as this incident, surely it is justified?
It's your opinion as an anonymous internet poster he will get 4 weeks. Any conclusions drawn from your random opinion dont mean a lot. Thread would make sense after the decision is made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Thursday night's game, Margetts would have left Essendon with more in the sin bin than on the ground.

and razor would have at least one sent off per game.

If it were to be done, it'd have to be controlled by a TV umpire and have some pretty rigid criteria (imagine a player being sent off and then the MRO declares he has no case to answer...).

Even more reason for it, if its sporadic - then the penalty carries meaning.

No, it’s not in any way more reason for it. There doesn’t need to be a drastic change to the rules because it’s not a common problem.

It’ll then create more problems when they get them wrong. Plus the acting and dicking around that will occur if the opposition know they can get a player sent off.

It’s a stupid suggestion.

Would only work through the tv umpire who can look at it thoroughly and then make the decision. Wouldn't need to be instant, could be 5 or 10 minutes of play later.

If umpires on the field did it then blokes would be getting a red card for incidents they are let off it fined for.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wasn't 100% for it before today. Seeing what happened to Harris Andrews, something should be done for intentional foul play like that.

Totally unfair that GWS benefit from something as bad as that.

If i was a player and it was a GF, It must be pretty tempting do to something like that.

I don't like to see violent acts in the game, nor players injured and one team disadvantaged, but the red card system would fall victim to the exact same thing as the MRO, i.e. punishing the outcome rather than the action. This is all to say that if Andrews had managed to get back up we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Week(s) on the sidelines should be enough to deter this kind of hit.

Imagine if this happened in a Grand Final regarding such a key matchup. Victory in a close game would be pretty hollow given everyone knows the difference came from a very dirty act.

Red card upon video review an option now surely? Only for severe incidents like this of course.

Hell, we've actually got red & yellow cards in most Australian Rules leagues around the country with the AFL being the exception.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back