Opinion Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent at Geelong?

Would you like Marc Murphy as a free agent?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
that was what I was thinking why would he nominate without talking to parties involved
It could be very embarrassing for him if he nominated Geelong and we said sorry mate, we don't need you. :)

Surely players only nominate after they have been in private talks with another club and have reached some agreement to hook if it can be arranged. Of course that doesn't guarantee that they do eventually hook up.

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I've always thought that too, but didn't Deledio nominate us before he went to GWS, but we couldn't afford him? Might be remembering that wrong.

Yeah, that's correct. The proposed deal was Deledio for Motlop. Richmond then decided they didn't want Motlop and since he was unable to be offloaded, we then couldn't afford Deledio. Caddy was then offloaded instead though :'(

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
It could be very embarrassing for him if he nominated Geelong and we said sorry mate, we don't need you. :)

Surely players only nominate after they have been in private talks with another club and have reached some agreement to hook if it can be arranged. Of course that doesn't guarantee that they do eventually hook up.

Yeah if Murphy nominates us, we have clearly committed to him. Since there does not have to be a trade agreement reached (UFA), you'd think it would get done with little fuss.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Hate to do it amd this probably isn't the right place but I'm going to use common sense.

If Murph wants Geelong and will sign for $300k or so then why wouldn't you do it? In all honesty would yoy prefer Murph, Murder or Hyphen being on the list on roughly the same coin.

As for where he plays, almost every position is midfield anyway as our game has progressed to the rolling maul that is under 9's, complete with ruck nominations and any real physical contact being frowned upon.

Be a more than handy midfield rotation that could step up in case of injury/suspension/general soreness.

Also doesn't count us out of getting a ruck either which I agree is a glaring need.

post reported ... way too much common sense.. permaban on the way Rosso !!

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
if murphy is a free agent and costs little then yes. Will contribute more to the club then the likes of house and abbott even if he is only here for one year.

I was agreeing with you till you had to add the last bit. I don't see how House and Abbot relate to a mids spot on the list.. but I guess what you are saying is we have players on our list now who you believe contribute little and may never be worth their spot.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
First caveat - you can never have too many good players. Those saying he would not get a game in our best 22 if he was fit are kidding themselves.

But - he doesn't seem to fill a screaming need and would make us older. Unless.....Gaz only has this year left in him. If he is done at the end of this season (and at age 34 it has to be a consideration), then I would green light a cheap Murphy acquisition.

Otherwise, then I would respectfully decline.

I sort of agree with you...

The fact is MM is UFA. He won Carltons B&F last year so he can play afl. Most drafted kids will probably not contribute what he might in 2019 ..

He costs us a list spot but Id say most would have several players pencilled in to be broomed ... so I dont see finding a spot as huge issue.

Who spot in the side does he take and what would be his role is more the question for mine..... but again ..week in week out there are several players that are the target for plenty of venom so one would think if he is fit enough and can stay fit he would be in front of someone. And a tru mid to add to our name group just makes our mid group deeper in theory.... In theory.

What Id want to know the plan... we don't order popcorn without a plan on how its going to be popped .. How he fits in to the side, the role he plays , how it help our other guys etc. We are NOT doing dreamteam here.. is it possible it could negatively affect player we have. Is he a selfish player... ( I dont think he is but we must think this thru)
If he can come in and add as much as what Kelly has.. would most agree he would be worth getting? If we lost Kelly or another mid in our best22 side would he be worth considereing them?

I think I have been crystal clear. My preference is to go to draft and we will probably pickup at least a couple of mids counting young OB.. add them to the young players we have , let them play together for a fair period of time, to grow and mature together .. guys like Henry and Parfitt etc.. but ..if we do show interest , I could understand it.

Please no to Marc Murphy. We have enough midfield depth and he we don't need another injury prone player who isn't any good under pressure.

We need ...

1. A legitimate ruckman.

2. Some classy goalkicking small forwards

3. Some hard bodies who are good under pressure.

4. Some elite users of the ball.

5. Hard working rebound debounders.

6. A quality tall forward.

Rory Sloane is definitely coming to Geelong, Danger will get him over here! + why? Danger said Sloane has to drive 1.5 hours to go Surfing. Danger is constantly posting pix of the Surf from his balcony.

Is Sloane your mystery mid HK?

This upcoming draft is talked up to be a Super Draft.
I think that I would rather go to the draft table and pick up some good kids.
Besides, I think that a quality ruck is more important atm than an aging midfielder.

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
This upcoming draft is talked up to be a Super Draft.
I think that I would rather go to the draft table and pick up some good kids.
Besides, I think that a quality ruck is more important atm than an aging midfielder.
Will it cost us picks if we get Marc Murphy though? I agree a ruckman should be our number 1 priority but if we don't have to give up anything I don't see the harm in grabbing Murph for a couple of years.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Will it cost us picks if we get Marc Murphy though? I agree a ruckman should be our number 1 priority but if we don't have to give up anything I don't see the harm in grabbing Murph for a couple of years.
No it won't as his a free agent

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I get the feeling we're right into Murphy, where there is smoke there's fire. I'm like most Cats supporters, not overly keen but for the right price, it may not be a disaster. I'd have a ruck and even Dahlhaus well ahead in terms of priority though. If we can't land some of our other targets, I think at the right price he'd be okay.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I was agreeing with you till you had to add the last bit. I don't see how House and Abbot relate to a mids spot on the list.. but I guess what you are saying is we have players on our list now who you believe contribute little and may never be worth their spot.
if a player never actually plays more then a couple of afl games then he doesnt contribute to the side. Just like sam blease. wasted spot on a list. This is not a point about house or abbotts ability. They may not of been treated fairly by the MCs and may have deserved opportunities. But it seems highly likely now that they will never play more then a token game at our club given our injured players are now coming back and thus in hindsight have been wasted picks.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Please no to Marc Murphy. We have enough midfield depth and he we don't need another injury prone player who isn't any good under pressure.

We need ...

1. A legitimate ruckman.

do any of those players come ready made and basically for free?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, that's correct. The proposed deal was Deledio for Motlop. Richmond then decided they didn't want Motlop and since he was unable to be offloaded, we then couldn't afford Deledio. Caddy was then offloaded instead though :'(
we dodged a major bullet on deledio.

relative to our current side that trade probably would of meant
in deledio and caddy
out kelly, parfitt and ablett.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I get the feeling we're right into Murphy, where there is smoke there's fire. I'm like most Cats supporters, not overly keen but for the right price, it may not be a disaster. I'd have a ruck and even Dahlhaus well ahead in terms of priority though. If we can't land some of our other targets, I think at the right price he'd be okay.
If Stanley can keep up last week perfomance for the rest of the year that’ll be great, we could then draft Dahlhaus and a young ruck as well as pick up Murphy and a few promising kids in the draft.

Sav could then be turned into a proper Forward without worrying about the ruck, but I suspect the club wants him to be developed into a ruck instead.

So based on this year we need:

1: remove the clog listing players that will offer us nothing for the future

2: draft some promising kids in the draft

3: solve/ draft a Ruck

4: either stick with the smalls we have or pick up a proven small like Dahlhaus

My only concern with Murphy is how he will impact the midfield, we saw how the midfield took time to gel when Ablett and Danger were introduced...it could be the same situation all over again, unless they Plan to put Paddy in the forwards next year pending on Menzel form.

do any of those players come ready made and basically for free?
Murphy enhances one of our weaknesses, free or not. We grow as a club by strengthening our needs and weaknesses, not adding to them.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
if a player never actually plays more then a couple of afl games then he doesnt contribute to the side. Just like sam blease. wasted spot on a list.

Perhaps. Im sure you and I could list plenty of players that have been on the list over the years and say that was a waste .. yet id say there must be more to it than just what we see. Just playing games.. ..I'm sure we could debate that having list clogger types that really are second choice like GHS is of debatable worth. Juts how must they contribute to the chemistry of the "whole" is hard to judge. Cowan must have really been good for the club..somehow.

I understand what you are saying..and generally id prefer to see everyone on the list get a go to see if they can offer something. I have referred to the Hamling situation a few times..but we seemed to flush 3 years of development with him that two other clubs have benefited by ....

but I also think that there will always be churn.. 22 spots every week and 40 something on the list.. some players once they get entrenched never go out again.. so there are far fewer spots than that available. Do we pick only one player for a role and assume he will work or do we have a few and say the best wins. How many small forward do we have atm.

I have questions on House and Abbott as well but less so on House. House was worth a try and is still worth a try , he is not that old , till a better option is apparent. With the evolution of game style and the elevation of Henry , and perhaps Sav .. Houses chance has narrowed..and to make it worse he has been injured at inconvenient times. Still id like to see if he could play..I think his marking would suit us..especially if he could play forward with Sav out

Abbott for mine more questionable... we are not strong in ruck role... and he can not get a game. Im not convinced he is up to it... Why was he draft if he is not going to get a game? Do we have a miss-alighnment of recruitment staff and Match committee selection ..(I told you not to draft him, I will not play him)... Do we have a player that would get a game if the vacancy is there or do we have a player that will not be picked. I do agree it seems a a duel edge sword if he will not be selected..not only does he take a spot , we also have not started to develop someone for our future.

Side tracked again. I think it will not be that hard to find a spot for a player that is a best 22 player .. its more a matter of cost short term and long term. If we bring in a player like MM ..someone misses out and we probably see him go elsewhere.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

We need ...

1. A legitimate ruckman.

Good list. Could Murphy play off half back and possibly satisfy numbers 4 and 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back