Red Cards in Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Your argument as to why it should be implemented isn't very compelling. It was never in Cameron's interest to take out the opposing player like that at the risk of getting suspended (which he will be duly punished via suspension). That penalty is enough in itself to deter any sort of sniping acts. Soccer unlike footy isn't a contact sport therefore it's significantly easier to referee such a rule and given footys physical nature theres too much of a grey area to determine who deserves to be carded and who doesnt. Yes what happened hurt Brisbane significantly but the frequency at which this really changes a game isn't at a level where we should be concerned about its impact on the game.

Current AFL is quite clean in my opinion and I don't believe adding another rule that will invariably be a nightmare for umpires to officiate is going to improve anything and will inevitably cause more problems and more discontent towards umpires. Could you imagine how much of an uproar it would cause if a player like Fyfe were to be carded for some incidents he's been involved in.

Imagine if this happened in a Grand Final regarding such a key matchup. Victory in a close game would be pretty hollow given everyone knows the difference came from a very dirty act.
I don't think that Geelong, for example, would have minded winning either of 1989 or 1992 if they'd gotten up. Same goes for Essendon in 2000, Brisbane in 2004... even StKilda whacking Hudson in 1971.

Also worth googling Dave Granger from the SANFL, whose efforts to see his side into a Grand Final basically consisted of seriously injuring Glenelg blokes.

Personally, I like the red card idea in finals, at least. It's one of those loopholes that hasn't yet completely played out on the biggest stage to full effect... but when it does, it'll look completely amateurish.

Sigh. For like the fourth time. The card system already exists in Aussie rules. There isn’t rampant staging or diving to get people carded anywhere. On current available evidence (being most leagues around the country) it wouldn’t happen.

It was introduced in relatively recent times in response to problems with violence.

There aren’t problems with violence in the AFL.

It was introduced in relatively recent times in response to problems with violence.

There aren’t problems with violence in the AFL.
Cards are rarely used and suspensions aren’t exactly common. I don’t think there’s problems with violence in lower leagues. You’d see more suspensions at top level than any given other league on a weekly basis.

I think the biggest reason why a card system wouldn't work in the AFL right now is right now we can't even trust the umpires to apply the existing rules consistently - let alone if their powers were extended to being able to eliminate a player from a game.

And we'd be back here the week after an incident being all "<insert player here> ran past the ball to make that hip and shoulder - should've been red carded but wasn't, blah blah blah"

Cards are rarely used and suspensions aren’t exactly common. I don’t think there’s problems with violence in lower leagues. You’d see more suspensions at top level than any given other league on a weekly basis.

Violence in local footy has fallen a hell of a lot. The card system was part of it, some leagues employed video recording, and there’s been a cultural shift in the game that started at the top level.

It used to be an issue but has fallen a lot thanks to a range of things being introduced.

There are no such problems in the AFL today. Big hits happen because it’s a full contact, 360deg sport played at breakneck speed, not because violence is seen as acceptable.

There’s absolutely no need for it in the AFL.

I think if you give the third umpire 10 minutes to decide it'd be extremely unlikely that they'd make a mistake.

If you leave it to the onfield umpires then yeah I could see incidents like this drawing red cards in the moment, just because it looked so bad live.

Think the back and forth between people right now arguing whether Cameron should have been hypothetically sent off shows why it wouldn't work though. We all have different definitions of a dog act. If the AFL could communicate a clear and measureable definition it could work.

Imagine if this happened in a Grand Final regarding such a key matchup. Victory in a close game would be pretty hollow given everyone knows the difference came from a very dirty act.

Red card upon video review an option now surely? Only for severe incidents like this of course.

Hell, we've actually got red & yellow cards in most Australian Rules leagues around the country with the AFL being the exception.

Yep I’m all for cards as long as it’s reviewed and the umpires don’t have full control.

I think if you give the third umpire 10 minutes to decide it'd be extremely unlikely that they'd make a mistake.

If you leave it to the onfield umpires then yeah I could see incidents like this drawing red cards in the moment, just because it looked so bad live.

Think the back and forth between people right now arguing whether Cameron should have been hypothetically sent off shows why it wouldn't work though. We all have different definitions of a dog act. If the AFL could communicate a clear and measureable definition it could work.

10 minutes is an unacceptable delay to the game. Interesting thing with cards is in the Rugby codes particularly they are used to control emotional and disobedient players and professional fouls, more than blatant foul play.

10 minutes is an unacceptable delay to the game. Interesting thing with cards is in the Rugby codes particularly they are used to control emotional and disobedient players and professional fouls, more than blatant foul play.

Sorry. As was stated earlier in the thread, let play continue and let the 3rd umpire decide

So we send a player off 10 mintutes after the incident? Obviously I was giving you too much credit for not being silly.

I think it's a reasonable compromise between not punishing the player and having the player receive a punishment in error.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again - there are no third umpires in the AFL. They don’t exist.

I know there isn't, there also aren't red cards and we're discussing those.

In the event of adding red cards to the game, it might be worth adding a "third umpire" into that equation as well. I think the key point is that you don't want the on field umpires making the decision in the heat of the moment.

Agree it's time for red cards.

Problem is the wishy washy MRP/tribunal. As of this season, Burton's hit on Higgens, where he lined him up from 50m and knocked him out was deemed ok again. So if the MRP says thats acceptable, what hope does the person charged with adjudicating the red card have?

So we send a player off 10 mintutes after the incident? Obviously I was giving you too much credit for not being silly.

Yellow card, send them off for 10 minutes or until the next break. Decision then gets made in that time. Simple, and piss weak cretins like Cameron actually are then immediately responsible for their actions. Cowards pull those stunts on the footy field, as they know professionals won't sink to that level and belt him immediately.

Yellow card, send them off for 10 minutes or until the next break. Decision then gets made in that time. Simple, and piss weak cretins like Cameron actually are then immediately responsible for their actions. Cowards pull those stunts on the footy field, as they know professionals won't sink to that level and belt him immediately.
I think I've found a piss weak cretin.

If it were to happen, this would probably be the best way:

- Purely for intentional or extremely careless acts that cause an opposition player to leave the game (I would classify Cameron's act as extremely careless).
- Not decided immediately by the on field umpire, but referred to the video box.
- It's tied to the injured player - if it turns out he's alright and comes back on, the perpetrator can come back on too.

This already happens in other leagues in Aussie Rules Football with amateur Umps calling it.
Surprised at some of the rubbish being dished up for something that is in the game already. Should be introduced into the AFL. It’ll make players accountable for the stupid brain fades like Cameron.

This

Lol

It was in a marking contest, it was hardly a stunt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back