Injury Harris Andrews injury updates :(

Remove this Banner Ad

HARRIS Andrews has suffered bleeding on the brain following his sickening incident with GWS forward Jeremy Cameron on Saturday night.

After his condition worsened post-match, the Brisbane vice-captain was admitted to hospital and underwent a series of tests.

He was released on Sunday night and is staying at his parents' house.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-25/andrews-in-hospital-after-condition-worsens

Opening a new thread dedicated to this given I have a bad feeling it's going to persist beyond the scope of the review thread.

I actually feel sick over this. Rest up Harris - come back strong in 2019.

Sidenote we probably have two more chances for a win this year - Carlton in a couple weeks and the Suns. This week I would rest anyone who isn't 100%. No point flying sore blokes all the way over to Perth. Hodge can have the week off. McStay - Eagles - Robinson no point risking them.Save them for Carlton.

Actually had a nightmare last night about this that woke me and left me shattered, so this mornings news is horrifying.

As a club member I want him back, as an individual I want him to never play again. The individual reaction is winning right now.

Somewhere out in internet land is a recent ~30minute interview done by someone at UQ with Justin. Justin goes through the whole process and is really insightful. I've spent over 20 minutes trying to track it down and can't find it and am giving up. It talked about the UQ brain institute.

One thing he said was that he was glad the doctors made the decision for him as if left to him it would have been hard to retire even with the damage that was still evident. The pull of the competition and being part of a team with your mates (and not letting them down) is hard to resist.

Justin article - covers some of the interview material.
https://qbi.uq.edu.au/concussion/ambassador/justin-

UQ clip on concussion in sport
https://qbi.uq.edu.au/concussion

On a personal note - as a child between 5-10yo I had two massive concussions. One was a car accident where I was flung headfirst into a metal bar which broke (no seat belts back then), and the second was a fall off playground equipment onto the concrete below the equipment (no softball matting back then).

I was out for about 5 mins for the playground, and much longer with the car accident. I have no recollection of both these events or anything else that occurred in these years. I have an abysmal memory - my teenage kids got a friends mother who was a occupational therapist to run a dementia test on me when I was in my 30 s because of my memory problems. I passed but I was nervous and really focused. I can't listen to things properly such as pod casts, phone calls or lectures - I drift off and realise minutes later and have to rewind or ask for things to be repeated. My memory/concentration has definitely impacted negatively on both my personal and work life.

Gotta wonder how much permanent damage was done back then and if this is what concussed players experience or if I was born this way.

Hi, just want to wish you guys all the best for Harris Andrews. Going back with the flight the way he did was bloody courageous and the infuriating thing about Cameron's dog act is it'll discourage him from doing it in future. I hope Andrews makes a full & swift recovery and that GWS guttersnipe gets suspended for a long, long time.

We play GWS next week, funny as it is to say I'm sorry Cameron won't be playing so one of our players can lay him out. I hope he becomes a marked man.

I myself suffered a similar injury after a bad horse riding fall approx 10 years ago. My horse spooked and flipped over the edge of an arena and I came down chin first on a railway sleeper. I hit the sleeper with such force that my skin literally shattered (crystallised/cracked) leaving a gapping wound on my chin. I shattered my jaw and cheek bone and 8 teeth. I broke 2 ribs and my thumb. I suffered a traumatic brain injury and had retrograde amnesia for approx 12 months.
As for the long term effects, well my memory is s**t in comparison. Feels like I really hav to work to remember anything. I am a scatterbrain and can literally lose my keys or wallet in about 2 secs. My personality has changed from being someone who was extremely easy going and happy go lucky to a stress head. I have panic attacks and also have an incredibly short fuse. To the point where I rage.
I do however, still, ride and own the horse who injured me. It took me a long time to get back into the saddle again, not so much because of the injury I suffered per say but because I cannot remember the accident at all (and there’s no video footage) I was scared I would put myself in that situation again and be completely unaware.

At this stage, without meaning to sound dramatic, If I had to guess, I would say we may not see him on a field again. He may recover quickly from this, who knows? but what if he was to suffer a similar head knock again? not sure doctors will be suggesting he takes that risk.

Absolutely gutted right now, especially for Harris and his family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage, without meaning to sound dramatic, If I had to guess, I would say we may not see him on a field again. He may recover quickly from this, who knows? but what if he was to suffer a similar head knock again? not sure doctors will be suggesting he takes that risk.

Absolutely gutted right now, especially for Harris and his family.

Also, if he does get back we couldn't possibly expect him to play the same way as he currently does.

Wow! After the article through the week about Closey. I had a terrible feeling that the same thing had happened to Harris especially after the news last night that he had to go to hospital after going down hill.

I do hope it isn’t the end of his career as a result. But his well being is all I care about right now.

All the best Harris.

On a personal note - as a child between 5-10yo I had two massive concussions. One was a car accident where I was flung headfirst into a metal bar which broke (no seat belts back then), and the second was a fall off playground equipment onto the concrete below the equipment (no softball matting back then).

I was out for about 5 mins for the playground, and much longer with the car accident. I have no recollection of both these events or anything else that occurred in these years. I have an abysmal memory - my teenage kids got a friends mother who was a occupational therapist to run a dementia test on me when I was in my 30 s because of my memory problems. I passed but I was nervous and really focused. I can't listen to things properly such as pod casts, phone calls or lectures - I drift off and realise minutes later and have to rewind or ask for things to be repeated. My memory/concentration has definitely impacted negatively on both my personal and work life.

Gotta wonder how much permanent damage was done back then and if this is what concussed players experience or if I was born this way.

Very sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, you will never know. It's not my primary area of scientific research but I am very interested in neuropharmacology and psychology. Never stop trying to remember things as our brain needs constant training.

Very sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, you will never know. It's not my primary area of scientific research but I am very interested in neuropharmacology and psychology. Never stop trying to remember things as our brain needs constant training.

Thanks. It does have an upside - it's easier to stay married and maintain relationships when you can never remember what you are pissed about. Or that you even disagreed on something.

And I do a lot of stuff for memory improvement.

Your story bought a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye Gadzorks, thank you for sharing and all the best mate. You never know on this forum what adversity posters have to go through.:thumbsu::rainbow:

Some luck in a shitty situation. Happy to rest him and have him prepare for 2019.

Also * you cameron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Lions will reassess Andrews in two weeks. Importantly, the neurosurgeon expects Harris to make a full recovery. The brain bleed has been listed as minor

That's positive that a full recovery is expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back