Red Cards in Footy

TaylorMade

All Australian
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think if you give the third umpire 10 minutes to decide it'd be extremely unlikely that they'd make a mistake.

If you leave it to the onfield umpires then yeah I could see incidents like this drawing red cards in the moment, just because it looked so bad live.

Think the back and forth between people right now arguing whether Cameron should have been hypothetically sent off shows why it wouldn't work though. We all have different definitions of a dog act. If the AFL could communicate a clear and measureable definition it could work.

If the rule was implemented you'd think incidents like this where the player makes contact with the ball prior to hitting the player would be considered ok.

Leave it for the times players lead with elbows, fists or shoulders and go the man instead of the ball.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Yellow card, send them off for 10 minutes or until the next break. Decision then gets made in that time. Simple, and piss weak cretins like Cameron actually are then immediately responsible for their actions. Cowards pull those stunts on the footy field, as they know professionals won't sink to that level and belt him immediately.

What happens when a player is forced from the field for ten minutes and then found to have not done anything wrong?
How does that side get those ten minutes back?

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was Cameron's contact intentional or careless? I've only seen the incident a couple of times but could you make a case that he was bracing for impact rather than trying to kill the bloke?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Was Cameron's contact intentional or careless? I've only seen the incident a couple of times but could you make a case that he was bracing for impact rather than trying to kill the bloke?

Most media types are rating it as reckless. I agree.

Red cards for umpires threads should be an automatic red card bigfooty offence. Immediate life ban.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

Careless. I think the nudge he got in the back from his direct opponent throwing him slightly off balance is a mitigating factor.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
What hasn't been mentioned is our forwards often use the double fist to try to bring the ball to ground when they aren't in the dominant position. They are obviously trained to do that. It went horribly wrong, and he definitely has a case to answer. I cant see deliberate. Probably the worse end of careless though.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Nope, umpires have too much power over the game already. If we start doing that, can you imagine players getting red carded for little bumps on the ball and turning games? No thank you. And for those of you saying go to the video to check, games are already slow enough as it is with goal review, can you imagine if we start analyzing big hits too?

Intentional. His elbow was away from his body and held at shoulder height - it wasn’t tucked in to brace. The only possibility was a head high hit as soon as he jumped into the air, and at no point did he start to lower his elbow but instead turns his body to mitigate the impact on himself while doing maximum damage. He definitely meant to hurt Andrews no matter what he says.

Scanlens Man

Senior List
Aug 10, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I'd be open to players who have been reported not being able to take the field whilst the player they smashed underwent concussion protocol assessment.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Intentional. His elbow was away from his body and held at shoulder height - it wasn’t tucked in to brace. The only possibility was a head high hit as soon as he jumped into the air, and at no point did he start to lower his elbow but instead turns his body to mitigate the impact on himself while doing maximum damage. He definitely meant to hurt Andrews no matter what he says.
Unless Cameron comes out and explicitly states he meant to elbow Andrews in the head then there's enough doubt for it to be graded as careless.

I'd be open to players who have been reported not being able to take the field whilst the player they smashed underwent concussion protocol assessment.
So you'd be ok with me staying out on the ground if I deliberately kneed someone in the ribs and punctured their lungs as long as they weren't undergoing a concussion protocol?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
If the rule was implemented you'd think incidents like this where the player makes contact with the ball prior to hitting the player would be considered ok.

Leave it for the times players lead with elbows, fists or shoulders and go the man instead of the ball.

I'm tipping you were born in the late 90s or early 2000s?
The team you support won 3 flags on the basis of taking every opportunity to hurt the opposition, and I don't think Matthews gave a f*ck if occasionally they stepped over the line.

Unless Cameron comes out and explicitly states he meant to elbow Andrews in the head then there's enough doubt for it to be graded as careless.

You don’t understand the MRO if you think it will be graded careless. The raising of the elbow will be deemed sufficient to classify it as intentional. The only way it could be deemed careless is if he went for the ball with a spoil, missed the ball and in the process clipped Andrews with a fist to the head.

It’s why Fyfe was graded as intentional. As soon as you raise the elbow, you are making a decision that your safety is more important than the safety of someone who doesn’t know what is coming.

Look at the footage and look where the ball is when Andrews spoils it - Cameron was nowhere near getting a fingertip on the ball and wasn’t even looking at the ball. He jumps and turns his body because he already knew the contact was coming before he even left the ground.

It was a weak as piss act from a player that has a history of doing s**t like this and getting away with it because he’s Jeremy Cameron.

Not this time.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Imagine Razor Ray with a red card in his pocket. Last quarter would be 5 on 5.

Sure fire way to fix cogestion so Gil will probably have a look at it.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
You don’t understand the MRO if you think it will be graded careless. The raising of the elbow will be deemed sufficient to classify it as intentional. The only way it could be deemed careless is if he went for the ball with a spoil, missed the ball and in the process clipped Andrews with a fist to the head.

It’s why Fyfe was graded as intentional. As soon as you raise the elbow, you are making a decision that your safety is more important than the safety of someone who doesn’t know what is coming.

Look at the footage and look where the ball is when Andrews spoils it - Cameron was nowhere near getting a fingertip on the ball and wasn’t even looking at the ball. He jumps and turns his body because he already knew the contact was coming before he even left the ground.

It was a weak as piss act from a player that has a history of doing s**t like this and getting away with it because he’s Jeremy Cameron.

Not this time.
There's nothing in his actions that suggest anything except he wanted to spoil and it went horribly wrong though.

There's nothing in his actions that suggest anything except he wanted to spoil and it went horribly wrong though.

Except for the fact that he a) is leading with his elbow, b) wasn’t even looking at the ball and c) made no attempt to actually spoil.

55764228-EE4F-4E7E-BC8F-407398C28776.jpeg

Bent elbow held at shoulder height, turning the body....how any one could say he didn’t know what he was doing is ludicrous.

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
A red card system makes perfect sense. Seriously to those who say "leave it alone", get with the times already. Introducing a red card system would be the best rule change since the game was introduced. Rugby League has the sin bin as well so soccer is not the only code to use it.

Let an off field umpire have jurisdiction over it so the on field umpires don't have another thing to worry about.

If the tackle or bump is within the rules, tough luck for the recipient. But if it is not, the offendor should be red carded, irrespective of whether the recipient has to be subbed or not.

It should only be used when the incident is illegal, callous or crude, we don't want players being scared to tackle or bump for fear of being sent off.

And no, the red carded player should not be allowed to be replaced with an interchanger. Would defeat the purpose. If you do something illegal, crude or callous, your whole team should be penalised by having one less man on the field.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Except for the fact that he a) is leading with his elbow, b) wasn’t even looking at the ball and c) made no attempt to actually spoil.

View attachment 517508

Bent elbow held at shoulder height, turning the body....how any one could say he didn’t know what he was doing is ludicrous.
You think I haven't watched the video?
The logical flaw is thinking it supports you conclusion.

Back