QAFL 2018

stuyd1

Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
Gold Coast
Very quiet on here ,,, lol .
any tips for the weekend games ,,,, labrador to beat the grange ,,,, palmy to defeat the vultures ,,, and Morningside to upset the magpies

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
Yep agree with those tips. Morningside are on the up and I reckon the maggies could be due for a bit of a flat week.

And Grange just aren’t very good and it does seem like Labrador are getting their s**t together and could still make a late run at the finals

stuyd1

Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
Gold Coast
Watched the Palmy vs Vultures game today ,,, was a good contest and the Vultures did well considering they had a couple of good players out ...but Palmy had it in control .
See the Panthers accounted for the Magpies ,,,, as I said last week,, the Panthers are building...

DoItForCaptBlood

Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
Watched the Palmy vs Vultures game today ,,, was a good contest and the Vultures did well considering they had a couple of good players out ...but Palmy had it in control .
See the Panthers accounted for the Magpies ,,,, as I said last week,, the Panthers are building...

Vultures may have had a couple of good players out, but Palmy had more than a couple, all will be back towards the back end of the season. So for me, I thought it was a missed chance for the Vultures to grab some points today.

switchingplay

Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
I only follow the qafl through the results and have not seen a game this year. Would i be right in saying Grange seem to be a major dissapointment this year. Bit of talk preseason about their recruiting but does not seem to have translated into performance. I see coach Clarke who must be nudging 40 fronted up yesty. Grange great club full of good people but seemes any decent success has alluded them for a fair while now.

smy1305

Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
Gold Coast
And i see Bazza o’brien having a kick in 2s. Yeah agree switching, saying same thing to someone tonight. Always been a grwat club personnel wise from my experience but a lean time right now.

goalkicker11

Feb 14, 2007
house
And i see Bazza o’brien having a kick in 2s. Yeah agree switching, saying same thing to someone tonight. Always been a grwat club personnel wise from my experience but a lean time right now.
Clarkey didn’t play and we are struggling with injuries had 5 18s double up for the 2s, been a very tough season for the gorillas

smy1305

Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
Gold Coast
More importantly how did you go mate.. :)

Yeah there is this false assumption that QAFL clubs do things easier/better than say Div 1 clubs. I know Broadbeach had 5 blokes over 40 (one over 50) fill in for a 2's game at the last minute vs UQ a couple of years ago just to put a side on the paddock. At all levels different clubs have their issues, and it should never be taken for granted that it is easy to get 3 sides on the oval every weekend.

FAN THE MAN

Sep 21, 2017
Morningside and Sherwood put 4 out on the park this week, as do Mayne, Maroochydoore, Coorparoo each week as well.

Not a bad effort from Mayne and Sherwood given both their senior sides are smashed with injury and unavailability.

In my estimations though, apart from Sandgate and to a lesser degree Grange - QAFL Reserves Football has increased in standard exponentially in the last 2 or 3 years. The example above of ringing in old guys like that just wouldn't happen anymore.

smy1305

Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
Gold Coast
Well barry, although a very good player in his day, by his own admission i reckon would say that he isnt in “football shape” right now. Bottom line is you do what you have to do i suppose to put sides out there.

Jun 2, 2007
Morningside and Sherwood put 4 out on the park this week, as do Mayne, Maroochydoore, Coorparoo each week as well.

Not a bad effort from Mayne and Sherwood given both their senior sides are smashed with injury and unavailability.

In my estimations though, apart from Sandgate and to a lesser degree Grange - QAFL Reserves Football has increased in standard exponentially in the last 2 or 3 years. The example above of ringing in old guys like that just wouldn't happen anymore.

We have one senior player injured. (had 4 others out on the weekend due to weddings, OS trips) but we are doing much better in 2018 with injuries.

goalkicker11

Feb 14, 2007
house
Well barry, although a very good player in his day, by his own admission i reckon would say that he isnt in “football shape” right now. Bottom line is you do what you have to do i suppose to put sides out there.
You are correct I'm not in footy shape, I'm still feeling it now from playing Saturday, I don't see the point in colts playing 8 qtrs so I will fill in when we are short, The standard is ok but it's still 2s footy and would be on par with senior footy in div 2.

smy1305

Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
Gold Coast
Agree - we will be in a similar situation in a few weeks time when we play down the GC and a wedding on plus colts on sunshine coast. May be pulling the boots on then... :)

Gazzaa

Jul 30, 2017
Gold Coast
You are correct I'm not in footy shape, I'm still feeling it now from playing Saturday, I don't see the point in colts playing 8 qtrs so I will fill in when we are short, The standard is ok but it's still 2s footy and would be on par with senior footy in div 2.

I think that your comment is incorrect regarding reserves standard. Reserves standard for QAFL is equivalent to Div 1 if not better. It is a blight on a club if they have old guys running around in the 2s - no offence to the old guys that help their club out hats off. I would imagine a club won’t be successful if there 2s aren’t any good injuries or not.

Not a good look for the QAFL?

Gazzaa

Jul 30, 2017
Gold Coast
What are the QAFL going to do with Sandgate? There past match was 175 point loss in reserves and 148 in seniors... and this is at Lemke Rd

switchingplay

Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
I think that your comment is incorrect regarding reserves standard. Reserves standard for QAFL is equivalent to Div 1 if not better. It is a blight on a club if they have old guys running around in the 2s - no offence to the old guys that help their club out hats off. I would imagine a club won’t be successful if there 2s aren’t any good injuries or not.

Not a good look for the QAFL?
You must play reserves in the qafl Gazza? Noosa and Maroochydore would easily account for any qafl reserves team, and to say its a blight on your club if older guys running around is an arrogant out of touch comment. You do what you have to do to put sides on the park each week and if some 'older' guys are prepared to help out then bloody good on them. This isnt an elite high quality comp we are talking about here, only equivalent imo to a good vic country comp at best. You have obviously never had a coaching or support role within a club to understand the challenges faced from week to week!

Dezario

Dec 14, 2011
QLD
My son played juniors on Sunday at Mt Gravatt. I couldn’t get over the awful state of the field and the facilities for a QAFL team. Is this a fair comment or not?

Was there with PBC on Saturday and a number of players commented on how hard the ground was.(most grounds in qld are hard!) and that there is no where to warm up for players.

Would be one of the poorer grounds in terms of qafl clubs compared to the others

Mudsticks

Apr 9, 2017
Was there with PBC on Saturday and a number of players commented on how hard the ground was.(most grounds in qld are hard!) and that there is no where to warm up for players.

Would be one of the poorer grounds in terms of qafl clubs compared to the others
Do we expect too much? Warm up areas, hardness of the ground? MtGravatt was resurfaced in last 18 months at a cost of over $100k. In general grounds and facilities have improved dramatically in passed decade. Maybe we are getting too precious

stuyd1

Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
Gold Coast
Not a chance.

Every Div 1 senior side other than maybe Yeronga would beat every single QAFL Reserves side out there.

That quote I disagree with ... yes the top 4 sides in div 1 would most likely beat the top 2 AFLQ reserve grade sides,, but thats about it ,,,, is a huge step up in levels and most people dont realise this.