West Coast sets new AFL/VFL record & 80K members

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing else to do in Perth.
Well - except catch amazing fish - enjoy beautiful winter days outdoors - have barbeque lunches down the park with family. Spend the day on the river. Go kayaking. Surf. Between 10-3 most days is beautiful to be outdoors.

Tell me - what do you do in melbourne at this time of year?

I know you have all that culture - how many plays have you seen?

Called reasons bud. Not every reason why something happens is an excuse.
If its pouring down rain, then thats a REASON why the crowd is is lower. If its a game against a bottom teams, its a REASON why the crowd is lower. Same as if its a game against a top team, its a REASON why the crowd is larger.
So the reason is that Richmond supporters aren't very dedicated?

So the reason is that Richmond supporters aren't very dedicated?

No, the reason is that Richmond fans have more options...both for AFL games and in the city more generally.

BTW. It's also worth noting that almost half of our home ground is MCC & AFL members.

Well - except catch amazing fish - enjoy beautiful winter days outdoors - have barbeque lunches down the park with family. Spend the day on the river. Go kayaking. Surf. Between 10-3 most days is beautiful to be outdoors.

You forgot get eaten by sharks.

No, the reason is that Richmond fans have more options...both for AFL games and in the city more generally.

BTW. It's also worth noting that almost half of our home ground is MCC & AFL members.
Then why do you and other Bigfooty posters still criticise GWS? They have even more options than Richmond supporters.

Sometimes it is hard to tell if ' migrants ' are good people or not , language difficulties and cultural differences can sometimes lead to misunderstandings and misinterpretations and as my work is a big , highly technical in places operation we do import quite a lot of brain power.
There is one simple test that has so far been unerringly accurate is if they choose to support West Coast once they decide to pick a side of the lunchroom they are brown nosed ( no pun intended ) flogs with massive ego's and God complexes

That's f*cking science is what that is , behavioural f*cking science

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Comparisons like these make no sense.

West Coast have 10/12 games against interstate teams. Thats basically their whole season, supporters show up to these because thats pretty much all they have. They also play a game every second week (except one of 2 in a row).

Compare to say Richmond. We played 7 games in Victoria in the first 8 rounds. 4 of them blockbusters against Blues, Hawks, Demons and Magpies.
Most people wouldnt be going to 7 games in 8 weeks. So if youre looking at the fixture, games against bottom interstate sides like Brisbane and Freo are the ones youre going to skip and stay at home to watch.
You get 11 home games like everyone else with your memberships

What do you think is the reason your numbers against top interstate clubs are so low yet ours show higher numbers?

My reasoning would be that we have lots of supporters who love a good game of footy.

What reason do you think richmond fans would have to not go see a good game of footy?
They have 17 games in Melbourne to choose from, they will naturally be a bit more picky with which ones they attend.
Also many Viccos still have the traditional Vicco rivalries ingrained and aren't as interested in watching Johnnie come latelies.

I've probably seen more plays than fish you have caught. :p Going to see The Wizard of Oz at the Regent in a few weeks, should be a great show.

I loved living in the sticks up in rural NSW when I was younger and used to catch a lot of my dinners, used to even camp under the stars on weekdays, get up at 5am and head to town for SSS before going to work, i enjoyed that part of my younger years but my fondest memories was always leaving and heading back to Melbourne.

I think there is a misconception that Melbourne is one specific thing but it is something very different to different people, what it does provide you is significant choice in lifestyle.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with Perth, you have basically outlined the main attraction, but that really only appeals to a very specific type of person, the average city dweller doesn't give a stuff about the outdoors and living in a city, the outdoors is a vastly inferior experience to being out in the wilderness.

Surf in Perth??? Good on ya. More like a 3 hour drive down south unless you want to hang with every other bozo at Trigg point.

Comparisons like these make no sense.

West Coast have 10/12 games against interstate teams. Thats basically their whole season, supporters show up to these because thats pretty much all they have. They also play a game every second week (except one of 2 in a row).

Compare to say Richmond. We played 7 games in Victoria in the first 8 rounds. 4 of them blockbusters against Blues, Hawks, Demons and Magpies.
Most people wouldnt be going to 7 games in 8 weeks. So if youre looking at the fixture, games against bottom interstate sides like Brisbane and Freo are the ones youre going to skip and stay at home to watch.

You have also got a population 3 times the size of Perth. On those numbers, relatively, you should have 70k+ every match.

Surf in Perth??? Good on ya. More like a 3 hour drive down south unless you want to hang with every other bozo at Trigg point.
I dont live in perth any more - but when i did i bodysurfed every day rain hail or shine - was never that bad at all - theres plenty of little spots to go and remember - we are comparing this to melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've probably seen more plays than fish you have caught. :p Going to see The Wizard of Oz at the Regent in a few weeks, should be a great show.

I loved living in the sticks up in rural NSW when I was younger and used to catch a lot of my dinners, used to even camp under the stars on weekdays, get up at 5am and head to town for SSS before going to work, i enjoyed that part of my younger years but my fondest memories was always leaving and heading back to Melbourne.

I think there is a misconception that Melbourne is one specific thing but it is something very different to different people, what it does provide you is significant choice in lifestyle.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with Perth, you have basically outlined the main attraction, but that really only appeals to a very specific type of person, the average city dweller doesn't give a stuff about the outdoors and living in a city, the outdoors is a vastly inferior experience to being out in the wilderness.
Im a bit of a claustrophobe - left perth for that reason - cant spend more thdn a day ir two in sydney - it cramps you in that place. But outdoor livinng is the attraction.

I like being outside.

Oh and ...

No you havnt

They have 17 games in Melbourne to choose from, they will naturally be a bit more picky with which ones they attend.
Also many Viccos still have the traditional Vicco rivalries ingrained and aren't as interested in watching Johnnie come latelies.
If there was 17 games in perth west coast would still have 50k crowds

Thats the difference with a two team city - where one team has a head start

Membership numbers are so meaningless.

We have somewhere between 40 and 50 thousand people who pay good money for a reserved seat 11 games a year, and that's worth $30m or so, and on top of that there are corporate boxes, suites etc. and the waiting list for regular members who pay a nominal fee. We have Melbourne-based members but we don't really make anything out of GA seats at away games.

Everything else on top of that is just fluff, really. If we didn't have the core support of proper season ticket holding members, the rest would start to evaporate.

Im a bit of a claustrophobe - left perth for that reason - cant spend more thdn a day ir two in sydney - it cramps you in that place. But outdoor livinng is the attraction.

I like being outside.

Oh and ...

No you havnt

Hehehe, nice catch. My sister-in-law's father goes marlin fishing here outside the bay, gets the odd tuna and snapper as well, I never go out on the boat, have developed a bit of a phobia... not sure why. When I was younger I enjoyed going fishing with my uncle who was a fisherman. I really don't feel comfortable out on deep water anymore, even on huge ships. Hard to explain.

I can understand people wanting the outdoor life, I am a bit of a recluse as far as Melbournians go, I like the idea of living life in the wilderness, however, I have grown accustom to the conveniences of city life, like good internet.

I think we are more at peace when we live with a greater connection with nature, cities are really an abomination, if we ever have global EMP event, they estimate 90% of people in the cities will die in the first year due to starvation, it isn't a natural thing we have constructed.

I think we are already observing the dawn of the behavioural sink that professor John Calhoun predicted with his experimentation on mice and rats, given limitless resources but finite space, the colonies would never reach an equilibrium where they remained content, they would reach a behavioural sink where their roles as males and females would unravel, the males would lose interest in females and their colony would spiral into societal chaos before imploding, eventually dying out completely.

I think in part, Europe's obsession with migration from cultures that still exhibit the normal reproductive cycle is a means of warding off society's increasing lethargy. If it was not for migration, our own population would be decreasing and we are already experiencing a huge shift to an aged population. Perhaps we are trying to prevent something which is a natural conclusion to all life which has reached the pinnacle of it's potential as a society.

I think we have lost sight of what it is that makes us human and the importance of the human condition. I think that interaction with nature is something that is essential for us, we need to be a part of it otherwise we will destroy it.

Great crowds, but it does beg the question why did they only build a 60K stadium?

This 'easily upgradeable to 70k within the current structure' is total bs. Show me how you can easily add 10k seats. Has anyone seen the engineering details of how they plan to do this, and I mean the actual details not some artists impression? 10k is about 10 extra rows of seats the whole way around the stadium, 20 extra rows if you just use the 2 wings. Building a 70k stadium from scratch would have cost bugger all extra. Perth is also projected to have one of the fastest growing populations in Australia in the next couple of decades, overtaking Brisbane as the 3rd largest city.

It’s great work by the Eagles and partly thanks to a rockin new deck to play on. The match day experience there absolutely craps on the tripe that I’ve seen every MCG tenant pull out.

I blame the MCC for holding back crowd numbers with their dinosaur approach to fan engagement and match day experience.

Instead of quality local brews and food options inside the stadium we get Stadium food, red rooster and the exotic Great Northern.

Instead of outdoor entertainment, recreational areas and food trucks (as well as a pumping bar on site) we get crappy 30 year old souvlaki and donut trucks and some busker singing karaoke.

Instead of state of the arts graphics, lights and visuals inside the stadium we get the odd smoke machine or flamethrower and graphics made by a work experience kid.

Imagine if the MCG has the same experience and quality in and around the venue. I reckon we’d boost crowds by a heap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back