Past Swans past player movements

Remove this Banner Ad

Without wanting to add to the acrimony, I consider Mitchell was under played by Horse et al and was dismayed when he was traded. If the deciding factor was low balling on his contract it is a disgrace up there with the Daniher trade.

I have no doubt he will prove a more important player for the Dawks than JPK is for us (and I think JPK is ace). The difference between Mitchell and our mids is he is an instinctive reader of where the ball is moving to (much as Diesel was). JPK and Parker get the ball through grunt.

Despite the quality of our mids, for me Mitchell always had to start in the middle. I would have preferred Hanners to play on the wing and not get thumped around.

I just went through the 2016 statistics and compared Tom to the other swans midfielders.

Hanneberry, Parker, Kennedy, Jack.

The only outlier is the disposal count.

This board laments the fact that we have poor foot skills and then creams itself over a player who has no kicking ability, but gets 46,000 disposals.

He was 3rd or 4th in terms of clearances, metres gained, inside 50's and score involvements.

Fun fact

This is the first season where Tom Mitchell has more contested possessions than uncontested possessions.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Nah, I thought Tom Mitchell was the one that really came on in the 2nd half v WB in the granny. Where Parker and others go entirely missing only JPK could enter the conversation as standing with Mitchell. I argued we needed Miles this year to support JPK, hes the closest cheapest copy of Tom Mitchell in the league.

Do yourself a favour mtooler & go through the pain of watching that last Q when Hanners went off.
That was when we needed a fit Tommy.
Hardly got his hands on the ball. Not alone of course but don't place him above the others based on the amount of "touches" he had that day.
Maybe he got all those touches because the opposition thought he wouldn't do as much damage with his "touches" as Kennedy, Parker & Hanners would do so they didn't tag him.
Anyone heard that before.

Having said that, Tom will win 4 Brownlows. Congratulations to him.
He loves the Hawks.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-10/hawk-shines-out-of-swans-shadows

"But only two years ago he was playing second fiddle in the Harbour City to Swans stars Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dan Hannebery.

"I've obviously loved the opportunity I've been given at Hawthorn and it's been great that Clarko's showed a lot of faith in me," Mitchell told reporters on Tuesday.

"I think he's taught me a lot as a player as well, so his guidance has been great and also (assistant coaches) Brett Ratten and Scott Burns have been great in guiding me in the right direction."

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Do yourself a favour mtooler & go through the pain of watching that last Q when Hanners went off.
Hardly got his hands on the ball. Not alone of course but don't place him above the others based on the amount of "touches" he had that day.
Maybe he got all those touches because the opposition thought he wouldn't do as much damage with his "touches" as Kennedy, Parker & Hanners would do so they didn't tag him.

He loves the Hawks.

"But only two years ago he was playing second fiddle in the Harbour City to Swans stars Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dan Hannebery.

"I've obviously loved the opportunity I've been given at Hawthorn and it's been great that Clarko's showed a lot of faith in me," Mitchell told reporters on Tuesday.

"I think he's taught me a lot as a player as well, so his guidance has been great and also (assistant coaches) Brett Ratten and Scott Burns have been great in guiding me in the right direction."

That might be a problem, I was there live and never seen a replay or read reviews of that match, I was so despondent with the umpiring that day I really am trying to blot it out of my mind. Titch and JPK had fare old games that day. Thats about as much as I want to look into it. Didnt stay to see the aftermath celebration that day.

upload_2018-4-10_18-17-46.png

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
That might be a problem, I was there live and never seen a replay or read reviews of that match, I was so despondent with the umpiring that day I really am trying to blot it out of my mind. Titch and JPK had fare old games that day. Thats about as much as I want to look into it. Didnt stay to see the aftermath celebration that day.

View attachment 481444

Yeah it was tough to watch but I just had to so I could identify who struggled to go with wher the game was taking them & the Dogs mad running in the last got them over the line. Many of our players could go with it. JPK did, Parker injured his knee the previous week & shouldn't have played at all (another argument), & poor old Hanners got taken out when we were still in striking distance. That left Tom & I can assure you, all this hard stuff he has been able to do for the Hawks wasn't evident in that last Q so it's fair to say he has become a much fitter player under Clarko which is a smack in the face to our coaches.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah it was tough to watch but I just had to so I could identify who struggled to go with wher the game was taking them & the Dogs mad running in the last got them over the line. Many of our players could go with it. JPK did, Parker injured his knee the previous week & shouldn't have played at all (another argument), & poor old Hanners got taken out when we were still in striking distance. That left Tom & I can assure you, all this hard stuff he has been able to do for the Hawks wasn't evident in that last Q so it's fair to say he has become a much fitter player under Clarko which is a smack in the face to our coaches.
I'll take your word for it, its been a while but my fuzzy memory is Titch got us going in the third with a goal or two didnt he, thought he kicked off the fight back. Could easily be mistaken though.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

He loves the Hawks.

Well said Ted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
the money wasn’t similar from Reports

Last offer no.
Because he was gone & we signed other priorities.
I don't support the Hawks financially with purchasing m'ships so only concerned when our players want to leave.
Love it when they cone our way though after years of losing players to vic clubs.

it remains a ludicrous trade... even tho we seem to have got a terrific young player from the deal ... when you think of all the blokes we pay overs for (ie Rohan and Tippett) this trade was beyond the pale.

Worse than ludicrous I am ashamed about how Titch was treated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back