Where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

The worry is it isnt just one game or one quarter, we have shown this lack of interest since the Saints game which we nearly lost through complacency, and we havent got that early season intent back in three games since. Darling has been massive for us this year, so his impact has hurt, but that doesnt account for players not even making an effort like last night. I still think we're a mentally fragile team that goes to water if things arent on our terms. Hoping they prove me wrong in the weeks to come.

Do you think it's mostly the absence of Darling and Kennedy? How does that affect effort? Our confidence was obviously down, but I think it's more than that. I'm not exactly sure what it is, I think only the inner sanctum would, and maybe not even them.

Maybe we jumped the gun a bit. Encouraging to see we're doing better than most predicted, but to go back to being very ordinary for the rest of 2018 and then into 2019 would be such a come down from this.

I woke up this morning and last night seemed like a nightmare. I'd almost forgotten about it. Remembering it was like a splash of cold water. Flying high and then falling back to earth lol. But then I resolved we as supporters can't let one loss, bad as it was, totally derail our season. We have to support the team but they have to put in the effort and have the belief.

From Round 6 to 16 in 2006, our premiership year, we were in front at three quarter time ONCE (by a point). We trailed at three quarter time 10 TIMES. We lost four of those games.

Sometimes you have bad periods, and you just need to regroup and win enough games to get top four.

Our first game without Darling and Kennedy in 214 games.... yeah you read that right.
Mate not gonna happen

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

People while we're winning: Wow we're really playing well, but expect us to have a rough patch soon but then get right for finals.

Same people while in rough patch: SACK SIMMO, WE'RE A BOTTOM OF THE COMP SIDE.

Yeah it's like all the good he did is cancelled out lol. I don't think he's an idiot, though some of his decisions (or non decisions) frustrate us.

I think we can win 5 of 9 from here. Think we would need 6 to guarantee top 4 and 7 for top 2. Time will tell.

4 definently in the bank. Could win 5 or 6 I think.

Depends on whether we have hit a wall or not and of course injuries. Not impossible, but I can't see us having more than a 40/60 chance of beating you guys at the G for example.

A bit overreactive??

Hardly, while all those changes might not come to fruition in full you have to admit the side we picked wasn't just lacking forward potency because of our lack of key forward targets alone. We picked a side designed to grind out a win and that would have worked if we showed up with pressure on the ball, and kicked straight but it wasn't a side capable of kicking a big winning score and that's not good enough. We should be getting the pressure off Kennedy and Darling and that means faster ball movement.

Venables brings speed we surely lack and dynamism that will bring others into the game, Sheed is a class above Hutchings and hopefully can stay fit and return to his best form. Even Petch would have been an improvement on LeCras against both Sydney and Essendon because he'd isn't a literal witches hat on the exit.

The worry is it isnt just one game or one quarter, we have shown this lack of interest since the Saints game which we nearly lost through complacency, and we havent got that early season intent back in three games since. Darling has been massive for us this year, so his impact has hurt, but that doesnt account for players not even making an effort like last night. I still think we're a mentally fragile team that goes to water if things arent on our terms. Hoping they prove me wrong in the weeks to come.

I thought we turned up to play vs the Swans, we were hard at it around the contest. We just wasted a lot of opportunities under their very good pressure.

Our last qtr vs Saints and first qtr vs Essendon were woeful though. Some of the worst application I have seen from our players.

Or just maybe other teams are not just sitting there clapping at us.They are trying to find a way to combat us.The challenge has been thrown back to Eagles, let’s see how we respond.Thats pretty standard, it’s even more aggressive when you win 10 in a row.

Tbh we're screwed without JK & Darling, the sooner they're back the better. Barrass out also not helping. The forwards like Ryan, Willie, & Waterman need to start kicking goals to pick up the slack. Most importantly, we need to take our opportunities when we get them and kick straighter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh we're screwed without JK & Darling, the sooner they're back the better. Barrass out also not helping. The forwards like Ryan, Willie, & Waterman need to start kicking goals to pick up the slack. Most importantly, we need to take our opportunities when we get them and kick straighter.
Same could be said about just about every other team though. Don’t think anyone’s doninating to many games without 2 of their top 5 players (best 22 full back as well) against quality opposition (Essendon go alright on their day, just very inconsistent), yet we arguably should’ve won both those games if it weren’t for very fundamental errors and mindset.

Definitely not a personnel issue, just think everyone went out there with the “we’re screwed without JK and JD” and the game was lost before the ball was bounced. Up to the leaders on field and coaches to keep the confidence up in the group with those two out. Consecutive losses almost prove to themselves that they can’t do it, even though we were in a position to win both games.

i think its a bit harsh blaming the remaining forwards. If we have the same game plan when our forwards are mostly smalls (i.e. bomb long) then of course they wont thrive. with kennedy and darling, our strengths were pack marks or destroying packs with the big body, then the smalls can crumb. this game plan wont work with the smalls. we need to play to the team strength, and with JK and JD out, we should be looking to create space in the forward 50 and use speed to get onto leads.

also, it seems that having JK and JD out has turned our mids into weak arsed squibs who cant tackle and panic at every contest. go figure. :p

I was certainly cringing at the May premiers hype, it's never as good as it seems, nor is it as bad as it seems.

We could still go on another run pending injuries

I was certainly cringing at the May premiers hype, it's never as good as it seems, nor is it as bad as it seems.

We could still go on another run pending injuries
Just looking at the ladder and should we lose to Adelaide this coming weekend (a few of their players are due back from injury) we could drop as low as 5th on the ladder as think both Collingwood & Port should win their games? Interesting times ahead to see who finishes where on the ladder by end of season. We need to finish in the top 2 or 5th to get a home final.

Just looking at the ladder and should we lose to Adelaide this coming weekend (a few of their players are due back from injury) we could drop as low as 5th on the ladder as think both Collingwood & Port should win their games? Interesting times ahead to see who finishes where on the ladder by end of season. We need to finish in the top 2 or 5th to get a home final.
We'd still have a home final finishing 3rd/4th- better to have it in the second week than the first

Do you think their youth/inexperience is finally showing a bit? Having to shoulder more of the scoring responsibility? Good players but still fresh.

From here...top 4 would be a pass for end of home and away season. Anything less is demoralising after our strong start.

This thread makes some interesting reading.
Some familiar negative posters here.
Bookmarked for similar hissy fits in 2019.

Oh, the Pie fan's contribution made me smile too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back