Recommitted Shai Bolton [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he homesick?

Maybe he just wants a game.
Not sure but his manager is Ralph Carr (same manager as Dusty)
He had his chance at the start of the year with Rioli out Shai was given the first 2 games and his tank was not near afl level then was replaced by Higgins
Shai has been playing very well at VFL level but still not able to play a full game at the required intensity that our game plane requires, Could posssibly play the in a North team where a small foward is just a small foward and no foward pressure required but certainly doesnt cut it at Richmond.

He put of contract talks until the end of the year not sure if that was his call or his managers as that seems to be his usual tactic so will see at the end of the year, Currently Bolton seems to be 2 years away from being starting regular 22 with the depth Richmond have in small's
Rioli,Edwards,Butler,Castagna,Bolton,Higgins,Stengle,Baker with only 4 being played in a regular starting 22

He had his chance at the start of the year with Rioli out Shai was given the first 2 games and his tank was not near afl level then was replaced by Higgins
Shai has been playing very well at VFL level but still not able to play a full game at the required intensity that our game plane requires, Could posssibly play the in a North team where a small foward is just a small foward and no foward pressure required but certainly doesnt cut it at Richmond.

He put of contract talks until the end of the year not sure if that was his call or his managers as that seems to be his usual tactic so will see at the end of the year, Currently Bolton seems to be 2 years away from being starting regular 22 with the depth Richmond have in small's
Rioli,Edwards,Butler,Castagna,Bolton,Higgins,Stengle,Baker with only 4 being played in a regular starting 22

Is that an official north policy that small forwards don’t have to apply pressure?

Is he homesick?

Maybe he just wants a game.
Apparently he loves Melbourne and is happy at Richmond. No doubt he wants a game and if he keeps playing the way he has the last two weeks he'll get one soon. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in this week.

Yeah, I reckon he backed himself to increase his value but it hasn't quite panned out. He's being stretched in the twos, seeing plenty of midfield time including centre bounces. You can tell Fly rates him highly. He's ahead of Stengle and Baker in my eyes and if he picks up his pressure he will fly past Higgins.

Not sure if its official but dont remember the last time their small fowards were abour pressure
Kayne Turner is because that's all he can do.

Yeah what would Bolton’s value be?

Hard to gauge, as he’s really behind more experienced SFs in Rioli/Butler/Castagna and thus has barely played any games, but he’s definitely talented.

We have pick 37 from Carlton, if that helps?

Yeah what would Bolton’s value be?

Hard to gauge, as he’s really behind more experienced SFs in Rioli/Butler/Castagna and thus has barely played any games, but he’s definitely talented.

We have pick 37 from Carlton, if that helps?

I don't think 37 would be enough personally. We took him with pick 29 when we knew he would need time to develop. We drafted him in 2016 and he's still only 19 which is crazy to me.

Maybe if you upgraded our 2nd rounder to one of your lower 2nd rounders? Like Shai + pick 36 for Crows pick 19? That's probably too much.

Last edited:
I don't think 37 would be enough personally. We took him with pick 29 when we knew he would need time to develop. We drafted him in 2016 and he's still only 19 which is crazy to me.

Maybe if you upgraded our 2nd rounder to one of your lower 2nd rounders? Like Shai + pick 36 for Crows pick 19? That's probably too much.
Yeah I highly doubt we do that

I reckon CEY gets traded somehow, so maybe combine the 3rd rounder we get for him with Carlton’s 3rd to receive a higher pick, which we then use for Shai?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I highly doubt we do that

I reckon CEY gets traded somehow, so maybe combine the 3rd rounder we get for him with Carlton’s 3rd to receive a higher pick, which we then use for Shai?

Yeah maybe if a team need points for F/S they do that with you. I tend to think his value is around pick 25. Shai is over 2 years younger than Liam Ryan who went at pick 26 in last years draft.

Yeah maybe if a team need points for F/S they do that with you. I tend to think his value is around pick 25. Shai is over 2 years younger than Liam Ryan who went at pick 26 in last years draft.
I see where you’re coming from, but the matter of fact here is he’s only played two games this year. I understand he’s had a lot of competition for spots, but it’s not like he’s proven himself at AFL level yet. I do rate him and his upside though, and we need his type of player pretty badly

I’d say maybe more around the pick 30 mark, give or take a couple of picks, but I’m probably not the best judge of that so who knows

I see where you’re coming from, but the matter of fact here is he’s only played two games this year. I understand he’s had a lot of competition for spots, but it’s not like he’s proven himself at AFL level yet. I do rate him and his upside though, and we need his type of player pretty badly

I’d say maybe more around the pick 30 mark, give or take a couple of picks, but I’m probably not the best judge of that so who knows

I don’t think the “he’s only played two games this year” is a strong argument. We’re on top of the ladder and have depth a small forward. How many gamed did Jordan Gallucci play when the Crows were on top of the ladder last year? Gallucci has only played 5 more games than him this year and that with the Crows mass injuries and poor form.

I don’t think the “he’s only played two games this year” is a strong argument. We’re on top of the ladder and have depth a small forward. How many gamed did Jordan Gallucci play when the Crows were on top of the ladder last year? Gallucci has only played 5 more games than him this year and that with the Crows mass injuries and poor form.
I get it, but although I rate Gallucci very highly, I'd say he's lost value since he's been drafted due to that fact. Would say he'd be worth around pick 20, so 5 picks less value (moot point though as he signed an extension). Guess it just comes down to difference in opinion

I thought Shai was drafted higher than 29. In that case I think Crows pick 35 would be fair. Or the currency we might get for CEY or Kelly.

Jarryd Lyons was a starting midfielder for crows when he got traded for pick 43

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

35 would easily get him if he nominated the Crows. Yes he is behind Rioli but he has been out nearly all season and Butler has been average at best.

Dan Butler is 12th in the league for goal assists and 3rd in total tackles inside 50. That's very above average.

Well there's a player down at Adelaide who hasn't played a single game this year-- what's his name?? Brad Crouch I think it is. How about a straight swap if we are using the amount of AFL games this year as a key criteria.

Well there's a player down at Adelaide who hasn't played a single game this year-- what's his name?? Brad Crouch I think it is. How about a straight swap if we are using the amount of AFL games this year as a key criteria.
I mean I guess I should have made it clearer, but he’s only played 8 games for his career. He’s barely proven at AFL level, but he’s definitely talented. He’s not Crouch, who’s proven to be a genuine gun when not injured

But good try ;)

Dan Butler is 12th in the league for goal assists and 3rd in total tackles inside 50. That's very above average.
There are probably 100 players within 1-2 goal assists of him and you are the second best offensive side so it's not unthinkable that an average player will hand off 10 goals in 13 matches. You also play in your forward half so again it's not surprising seeing his tackle numbers.
(I'm not saying he is a bad player)
How much higher than 35 do you think Boulton is worth? Non best 22 players who weren't really highly rated before being drafted don't increase in value.

There are probably 100 players within 1-2 goal assists of him and you are the second best offensive side so it's not unthinkable that an average player will hand off 10 goals in 13 matches. You also play in your forward half so again it's not surprising seeing his tackle numbers.
(I'm not saying he is a bad player)
How much higher than 35 do you think Boulton is worth? Non best 22 players who weren't really highly rated before being drafted don't increase in value.

Have a look at the names he's surrounded by and he's in very elite company mate.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2018&rt=LT&st=GA

I think Bolton is worth a pick between 25 and 30. Shai was considered a slider on draft day so to say he wasn't rated highly before being drafted isn't accurate.

How many 19yo small forwards are in their club's best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back