Rance diving again

What do you reckon?

• Dive

Votes: 111 73.0%
  • Not a Dive

Votes: 41 27.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's clearly a punch in the throat. Borderline whether the force is enough for a suspension. But there's certainly some force behind it.
The screen capture (the screen before it loads the video, I'm not sure what you'd call it, preview?) for the video of this incident shows Buddy's hand covering the top corner of Rance's jumper between the shoulder and neck.

Not so clear to me where he hit him and a genuine reasonable doubt about judging that impact based off Rance's reaction.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
I loved the over dramatic coughing on all fours in front of the umpire after the Buddy jab.

When I first saw it I thought Buddy had hit him on the shoulder in attempt to get Rance off him. On second viewing, it may have made some contact with the neck area but had hardly any force. The coughing on all fours didn't seem to be commensurate with the force of the slap.

BTW which player dropped both the F and C bombs? Quite clearly picked up at 12 second mark

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...ver-hit-to-throat-of-alex-rance-ng-b88881436z

this is the saddest thread on bigfoooty, i'm happy to punch anyone in the throat who thinks Rance overreacted to see how they deal with it

Wouldn't have been in the position to be hit in the throat if deliberately 'clumsy' Rance hadn't 'accidentally' managed to fall all over Buddy (not even the player with the ball) and have his forearm in his face.

Should have been a 50 to the Swans.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
BTW which player dropped both the F and C bombs?

It was Rance describing Franklin.

When Rance got caught holding the ball the umpire allowed two other Sydney players to come in and maul him without justification. Then Grimes comes in to drag one of them off and it's 50. What a ******* circus. It's gone too far.

Wouldn't have been in the position to be hit in the throat if deliberately 'clumsy' Rance hadn't 'accidentally' managed to fall all over Buddy (not even the player with the ball) and have his forearm in his face.

Should have been a 50 to the Swans.

he stopping Buddy going after Vlas and doesn't even have any force on it, thread is a few pages talking about the disgraceful dive then 20 pages of people in fantasy land over analysing everything that has happened since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I loved the over dramatic coughing on all fours in front of the umpire after the Buddy jab.

When I first saw it I thought Buddy had hit him on the shoulder in attempt to get Rance off him. On second viewing, it may have made some contact with the neck area but had hardly any force. The coughing on all fours didn't seem to be commensurate with the force of the slap.

BTW which player dropped both the F and C bombs? Quite clearly picked up at 12 second mark

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...ver-hit-to-throat-of-alex-rance-ng-b88881436z

You’ve clearly never been hit in the throat. It takes almost no force to disable someone. It’s why it’s taught as a go-to in self defence. I love Rance but am as big a critic of him diving as anyone, but being hit in the throat is as bad as being kicked in the balls.

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
You’ve clearly never been hit in the throat. It takes almost no force to disable someone. It’s why it’s taught as a go-to in self defence. I love Rance but am as big a critic of him diving as anyone, but being hit in the throat is as bad as being kicked in the balls.
You have never been hit in the balls

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ill take the throat any day over a strike to the balls.

Been hit in the throat a few times. Also copped a surfboard in my throat once. Dont recall carrying on like Rance.

My take on it was it looked overly dramatic for a jab to the lower neck. Its probably an opinion influenced by the numerous pieces of evidence relating to Rance's staging and overreacting.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Ill take the throat any day over a strike to the balls.

Been hit in the throat a few times. Also copped a surfboard in my throat once. Dont recall carrying on like Rance.

My take on it was it looked overly dramatic for a jab to the lower neck. Its probably an opinion influenced by the numerous pieces of evidence relating to Rance's staging and overreacting.

Yeah that’s probably fair. He’s made his bed and now he has to lie in it. But if you get whacked in the sweet spot on the throat (voice box) it can really mess you up. That’s why Darren Lockyer sounds the way he does haha

he stopping Buddy going after Vlas and doesn't even have any force on it, thread is a few pages talking about the disgraceful dive then 20 pages of people in fantasy land over analysing everything that has happened since.

Buddy was on his back not going after anyone?

reload141

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
this is the saddest thread on bigfoooty, i'm happy to punch anyone in the throat who thinks Rance overreacted to see how they deal with it

You're ignoring the fact that Rance had his arm on Buddy's throat in the first place which the video footage is there. Honestly nothing should come of it for Buddy or Rance, it's a simple reaction that was warranted.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
Diving prick!

518520_247b141ff631d15a8c4b62b15ed4897b.JPG

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras

I was elbowed in the throat playing footy - had damage to my voicebox and ended up in hospital the night of the game. So I have been there.

I think the point here is was he hit in the throat? It's inconclusive from the footage.

FWIW - I reckon Buddy gets a fine and Rance gets a warning not to put sugar on any contact and we move on with our lives.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You're ignoring the fact that Rance had his arm on Buddy's throat in the first place which the video footage is there. Honestly nothing should come of it for Buddy or Rance, it's a simple reaction that was warranted.

That's like claiming Parker had no reason to be all over Vlastuin's back, so throwing the elbow back was warranted. It was like Houli/Lamb, you can't be stood over by lepers.

Danger!Selwood

All Australian
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I will concede that perhaps the side of Franklin's hand gets part of his neck, perhaps even his throat.

However the open hand is clearly thrown at and his Rance in the shoulder / collarbone area.

That must be so embarrassing for Rance, and any Tigers supporter trying to defend this crap.

I wish it was worth a week to Buddy so he doesn't play against us next week, but Rance should get a fine at the very least (again) or possibly a week. Its blatantly cheating and he has himself to blame for not getting any free kicks himself from now on, umpires can't trust his reaction.

Back