Votes: 41 27.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I will concede that perhaps the side of Franklin's hand gets part of his neck, perhaps even his throat.

However the open hand is clearly thrown at and his Rance in the shoulder / collarbone area.

The more I watch this the more I agree - looks like very little contact to the throat. More shoulder/collarbone.

Apr 25, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond
That must be so embarrassing for Rance, and any Tigers supporter trying to defend this crap.

I wish it was worth a week to Buddy so he doesn't play against us next week, but Rance should get a fine at the very least (again) or possibly a week. Its blatantly cheating and he has himself to blame for not getting any free kicks himself from now on, umpires can't trust his reaction.

It's clearly in the neck. He has every right to react like that. It's clearly a free kick aswell. Possibly gets away with a fine.

reload141

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
That's like claiming Parker had no reason to be all over Vlastuin's back, so throwing the elbow back was warranted. It was like Houli/Lamb, you can't be stood over by lepers.

I would contest a arm on your throat with his body weight on it is more harsh than a simple push in the back, come on mate.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
It's clearly in the neck. He has every right to react like that. It's clearly a free kick aswell. Possibly gets away with a fine.

I agree. It was more a shove than a punch, but personally I'd rather a punch in the jaw than someone thrusting their hand in my throat where real damage can occur. I'm pretty sure Franklin's intent was to just shove Rance off him and accidentally made contact with the throat.

In the neck, yes. Free kick, definitely. Not sure it is worth suspension or fines though.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I would contest a arm on your throat with his body weight on it is more harsh than a simple push in the back, come on mate.

The umpire should've nipped it in the bud and paid 50, not allowed it to escalate like it did when two extra Sydney players piled into Rance after he was tackled, and Parker would've been the third if he hadn't been winged. Aslo the blatant running over the mark and pushing Riewould to ground by Rampe in the last quarter. No doubt there were others where Sydney was on the receiving end. The umpires controlled the game poorly.

There shouldn't be so much s**t happening after the whistle's been blown.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Diving prick!

518520_247b141ff631d15a8c4b62b15ed4897b.JPG

He has a players weight jumping on his back. Rance has a tap against a forward who probably weighs less then he does. It’s a bit different.

He has a players weight jumping on his back. Rance has a tap against a forward who probably weighs less then he does. It’s a bit different.
Hang on a minute, against Port he has Charlie Dixon’s weight on him who’s a lot bigger then Nick Vlastuin and this was deemed to not be a excuse for getting knocked to the ground.

Madness101

All Australian
Oct 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Would that be a "dog" act, by Rance I mean, he's becoming an embarrassment, I'm fast losing respect for him as a footballer with his continuing staging.

At this point, Rance could get KO by an elbow off the ball and you would still call him a diver.
Would love to see your reaction if Franklin punched you in the throat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
The more I watch this the more I agree - looks like very little contact to the throat. More shoulder/collarbone.
To me it looks like base of the palm straight to the throat. Not sure he intended to get him there though.
Ask Ed Curnow what a crushed larynx feels like. He missed 9 games last year from it. Might have been longer but the season finished, so not sure how long it actually affected him for.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
At this point, Rance could get KO by an elbow off the ball and you would still call him a diver.
Would love to see your reaction if Franklin punched you in the throat.
Unfortunately it’s a case of the boy who cried wolf. I reckon this reaction was genuine, but he has form so it’s natural that people will question it.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
To me it looks like base of the palm straight to the throat. Not sure he intended to get him there though.
Ask Ed Curnow what a crushed larynx feels like. He missed 9 games last year from it. Might have been longer but the season finished, so not sure how long it actually affected him for.
I'm sure people will have different opinions based off the grainy footage but I'm seeing it more collarbone/top of the sternum based on where his hand is on the shoulder.

I dont think the force would have injured Rance like Curnow's injury but yes I'm sure it was a nasty injury.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps the anger should be directed towards Rance for his continual play acting and staging instead of Buddy or Michael Christian. Rance has made a rod for his own back and one day, he might just be on the end of a wrong umpiring decision that might cost Richmond a game because of it.

Back