FTA-TV The Sopranos

Remove this Banner Ad

Was originally intended to be an “Anger Management” style comedy about a mafia don and his shrink.

Thank * that idea got scrapped.

This is THE show that set the benchmark for the modern renaissance of TV. I think I've watched through 3 times, yeah there's parts of the last two seasons that drag a little but the first couple of seasons are absolutely brilliant. The characters are fantastic. I find it's really a show about depression/mental illness with the mob boss character just an interesting canvas for this.

This is THE show that set the benchmark for the modern renaissance of TV. I think I've watched through 3 times, yeah there's parts of the last two seasons that drag a little but the first couple of seasons are absolutely brilliant. The characters are fantastic. I find it's really a show about depression/mental illness with the mob boss character just an interesting canvas for this.

I actually enjoyed the final season more than any other. Maybe because it had a more linked plot at least for the first arc after the incident in the previous season's finale.

Edie Falco still looking good.

It's been a few years now so I really want to watch this show again, which would be for something like the 11-12th time, who can keep count:$, but who has the time these days. There's Deadwood to binge through again before the movie comes out, half way through OA so got to finish that, ditto The Vikings. & it's footy season...

Edie Falco still looking good.

It's been a few years now so I really want to watch this show again, which would be for something like the 11-12th time, who can keep count:$, but who has the time these days. There's Deadwood to binge through again before the movie comes out, half way through OA so got to finish that, ditto The Vikings. & it's footy season...

I've been giving it a rewatch going in time with 'The Sopranos Show' podcast reviewing each episode. Notice a real tail off in the final season..well part 1 anyway.

I actually enjoyed the final season more than any other. Maybe because it had a more linked plot at least for the first arc after the incident in the previous season's finale.

I finished watching this through again just yesterday (started maybe a month or so back) and disagree with my earlier comments. This is gold all the way through. The first couple of seasons are way funnier (could even pass as a comedy rather than a drama) but the last 2 seasons are bleak as *.

I really loved the final season watching through this time, the Vito storyline (the weakest in the show for me) is still a bit meh but has so many repercussions that its importance can't be understated. I'd forgotten a lot of what happened in season 6 especially with Christopher, Bobby and Sil so this was shocking and like watching all over again

This is an absolutely brilliant show, I'd have this and The Wire sitting comfortably as top 2 best ever shows. Breaking Bad always gets thrown in to the convo but that while great just didn't have the same impact as these two. Mad Men is another but I couldn't really get in to that and stopped watching around season 3.

I'm about to rewatch The Wire next I think, then Deadwood (never seen more than a few episodes) and then might give Mad Men another go.

Oh and Phil Leotardo (nee Leonardo) is brilliant as the guy you love to hate. What a prick.

I found myself really hating Tony through this rewatch, yeah he was always the antihero but this time (especially from about season 3/4 on) he just came across like a massive a-hole bringing misery into the lives of everyone around him. He is the type of personality that hates seeing other people experiencing joy because he can't and would actively undermine it whenever he saw it particularly in those closest to him. This was never more evident than when he was at Janice and Bobby's for Sunday dinner, Janice was happy due to being newly married to Bobby who was the closest thing to a decent guy on the show. Tony kept bring up Janice's homeless kid Harpo (Hal) until she completely wigged out and started attacking him. He left the house with a smile. Absolute campaigner.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It amazes me how few people have seen this show and fawn over Game Of Thrones. But consider themselves some sort of television addicts.

Anyway who cares if he died? It’s not the point. That’s sort of the point... life goes on, life has no conclusions, no one knows when things are going to happen. The show has far more memorable moments than that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Christ I can't believe people compared Game of Thrones/The Wire/Breaking Bad to this. Not that those shows are awesome in their own right but this show was on a different tier.

Tony and Carmela's arguments didn't feel like acting at all. So intense.

Christ I can't believe people compared Game of Thrones/The Wire/Breaking Bad to this. Not that those shows are awesome in their own right but this show was on a different tier.

Tony and Carmela's arguments didn't feel like acting at all. So intense.

Disrespectful to put The Wire alongside GoT and BB IMO. I'm not going to argue on the exact ranking of Sopranos vs Wire but most people and critics have them in the same rung at least. A lot have The Wire above Sopranos in a true ranking. I doubt any critic or many serious TV viewers would have GoT/BB above either The Wire or Sopranos.

Disrespectful to put The Wire alongside GoT and BB IMO. I'm not going to argue on the exact ranking of Sopranos vs Wire but most people and critics have them in the same rung at least. A lot have The Wire above Sopranos in a true ranking. I doubt any critic or many serious TV viewers would have GoT/BB above either The Wire or Sopranos.
Yeah agree with this. GoT and BB were essential viewing and excellent television at their best, but only The Wire is deserving of being compared to The Sopranos.

I don't like fantasy and kind of struggle with most things that are relatively present, but Game of Thrones still doesn't touch it. Mostly relied on clichés, cliffhangers, and character deaths for its captive audience. Breaking Bad was pretty good and one of the better shows, but it always felt too Hollywood for me. The fact meth heads and a dying, angry man who was losing his family never swore just ruined it a bit. Glossily filmed too. Just lacking the grit.

The wire is definitely better than Sopranos.

Constantly have this argument with someone else. His point on The Wire being better is based on the fact it covers all sides of American life and culture through the slow death of a major East coast city. It does cover crime, eudcation, politics, press etc.

The depth of The Sopranos trumps this in my opinion though. One example is the final scene in Holstens that ramps up the tension without really doing anything. Just the bell every time the door opens, the shots of all the different people around. Then there's the dream episodes, the coma and Kevin Finnerty. It's layer upon layer of brilliance.

Could never warm to Breaking Bad and feel bad for it but it just never hit the mark.

Constantly have this argument with someone else. His point on The Wire being better is based on the fact it covers all sides of American life and culture through the slow death of a major East coast city. It does cover crime, eudcation, politics, press etc.

The depth of The Sopranos trumps this in my opinion though. One example is the final scene in Holstens that ramps up the tension without really doing anything. Just the bell every time the door opens, the shots of all the different people around. Then there's the dream episodes, the coma and Kevin Finnerty. It's layer upon layer of brilliance.

Could never warm to Breaking Bad and feel bad for it but it just never hit the mark.
Each to their own though but there were just far more memorable characters for me in the Wire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back