Player Watch #35: Harry "Coleman" Petty – the answer to our KPF woes?

I liked his Jake Spencer impersonation when he missed his foot going across goal.

I had to rub my eyes and rewind on IQ to make sure i saw what i thought i did.

Kicked the ball with his ankle off a mark under no pressure. Beaten one on one in almost every contest. Did absolutely nothing in terms of pressure (for all of Smith's spudiness at least he has a crack), cant even remember him spoiling an opponent. To say he's not ready would be an understatement.

Out Gillie'd Tom today. If i see him again this year it will be well and truly too soon.

Last edited:

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
If anyone can tell me how he was ready to help us win a game more than frost would have I'll jump off a bridge. Wasn't his fault but he was woefully out of his depth.

Arrogance A belief that we could beat them carrying some kids rather than our absolute best 22.

Yeah. Goodwin really f****d up. Talk about a baptism of fire for the poor fella.

Frost has been great in the two's. Clearly the best replacement for Lever.

Goodwin seems stubborn to to point of complete stupidity sometimes.

Playing against Josh Battle isn’t a baptism of fire

Don't blame the kid. I mean we just heard Kade Simpson went his first 3 games without a disposal.

A debut game doesn't shape your career, We all thought Tapscott was going to be a gun of debut. I more so direct my anger at the choice to debut him when he wasn't ready

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't blame the kid. I mean we just heard Kade Simpson went his first 3 games without a disposal.

A debut game doesn't shape your career, We all thought Tapscott was going to be a gun of debut. I more so direct my anger at the choice to debut him when he wasn't ready
what if his selection was a case of mistaken identity. Petty, Keilty and Frost all look pretty similar when playing down at Casey. maybe it was one of the other 2 who was playing well lol

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
No one was complaining when he was picked. Frost probably a better choice, but he was a bit of a white knight when our defence wasn't working earlier in the year and he didn't prove to be the saviour.

He was let down by the lack of pressure up field but still needed to be better. He has had a taste but should be dropped and hopefully will encourage him to take his game to the next level in the VFL.

Our defensive depth is shallow right now.

You can teach a player to find the ball, its harder to teach players to want the ball. He looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up during contests, and he jogged around when they were carving us up. Selecting him was clearly a shocker, and its no good blaming the fans for that as someone above did given the club curates the in-house media and puts names on whiteboards.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Our Key Defensive stocks are incredibly shallow. Petty shouldn't be playing in important games like this. I thought he'd go better, but clearly not up to AFL standard yet. It's Frost or bust now I reckon. We got rid of Dunn too soon clearly..

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
im not writing him off at all for this game he got burnt hard and should of never been under the pump how he was from the get go cant say he shouldnt of played some reporters were saying hed be ready to go round 1 if not injured and would play early in the year he just had a mare but we didnt help ease him in.
is everyone forgetting TMac was 1 of the best defenders ******* move him back and it solves problems straight away and it gives us the rest of the year to get games into Weid instead of staying with this 3 forward no crumber bullshit. TMac is more needed down back atm. Frost hasnt magically gotten better..

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Our Key Defensive stocks are incredibly shallow. Petty shouldn't be playing in important games like this. I thought he'd go better, but clearly not up to AFL standard yet. It's Frost or bust now I reckon. We got rid of Dunn too soon clearly..
dont forget TMac break incase of emergency

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Played as if he was randomly picked out of the crowd for a game ten minutes before the match. Horrible debut. Was comprehensively beaten in nearly every contest he was involved in. But apparently a better option than Frost.

Yeh I really cannot grasp why we gave Frost another contract at the end of last year if there is no intention of ever picking him, totally senseless (not saying he great but surely should get a shot ahead of a first year player, geezus)

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Moving Tom McDonald back has to be the silliest idea since Goodwin thought Petty and Joel Smith would adequately replace Lever.
why is it silly? its like McGovern going forward for the Eagles where are they needed most. our defense is in shambles we have tried everyone down back he was 1 of the best defenders a couple years ago. its even sillier thinking Frost has magically become a better player and will fix our backline. It also allows Weid 8 weeks straight of playing as the vocal point instead of playing 1 or 2 and getting dropped.

why is it silly? its like McGovern going forward for the Eagles where are they needed most. our defense is in shambles we have tried everyone down back he was 1 of the best defenders a couple years ago. its even sillier thinking Frost has magically become a better player and will fix our backline. It also allows Weid 8 weeks straight of playing as the vocal point instead of playing 1 or 2 and getting dropped.
Because he averages over three goals a game in the nine he has played this season, including today when he was clearly not right after spewing up half his lungs against Port. Weideman wouldn't kick 29 in a season if he played all 22 games, never mind in nine weeks.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Because he averages over three goals a game in the nine he has played this season, including today when he was clearly not right after spewing up half his lungs against Port. Weideman wouldn't kick 29 in a season if he played all 22 games, never mind in nine weeks.
i obviously know he is our best forward but he plugs a bigger hole down back right now. our forward line is so congested with 3 bigs and id rather play Weid forward than Frost down back. Have Hogan actually playing as a 195cm fwd and not a ******* crumber. then next year we get Lever back Weid got some experience TMac can win the coleman next year. this year is cooked. Frost wont change s**t so what go back to Wagner? weve pretty much tried every defender

i obviously know he is our best forward but he plugs a bigger hole down back right now. our forward line is so congested with 3 bigs and id rather play Weid forward than Frost down back. Have Hogan actually playing as a 195cm fwd and not a ******* crumber. then next year we get Lever back Weid got some experience TMac can win the coleman next year. this year is cooked. Frost wont change s**t so what go back to Wagner? weve pretty much tried every defender

The year isn’t cooked. Its only cooked if the coaches keep making bad decisions, and this would be one. Just play Frost, accept his limitations, and hope Hibberd and OMac rediscover some form. Don’t make two problems out of one.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

I'd rather play Weid down back. TMac and Hogan are the forward pair - chuck whatever small/mid-sized players around them you like. That worked well for weeks. I didn't see the game (re: Petty being woeful), but it's a lot easier to dig up a tall plodder who can halve contests than it is to find a consistent goal-kicking tall forward.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The year isn’t cooked. Its only cooked if the coaches keep making bad decisions, and this would be one. Just play Frost, accept his limitations, and hope Hibberd and OMac rediscover some form. Don’t make two problems out of one.
accept his limitations?? cant defend cant make good decisions back to square 1 in 2 weeks.. i swear you lot think a player gets better the longer they dont play.. Hibberd wont recapture form when he has to worry bout a man then worry about Frosts man it has killed his game having to be the 2nd best defender. no point going on about it we wont agree. Cant wait for Frost to come in spud it up and everyone call for his head again...

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd rather play Weid down back. TMac and Hogan are the forward pair - chuck whatever small/mid-sized players around them you like. That worked well for weeks. I didn't see the game (re: Petty being woeful), but it's a lot easier to dig up a tall plodder who can halve contests than it is to find a consistent goal-kicking tall forward.
Yeah all i know is Frost isnt the answer could Pedo do it? probably.. i just feel the net loss on having TMac go back is less than playing Frost down back. Really all it shows is we really need a proper back up. Hopefully Frosty shows me up thats be ******* great. Mid season draft or trade would be pretty ******* good right about now haha

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Moving TMac back is silly when he has the highest goal per game average in the comp.
i obviously know he is killing it forward. im clearly only saying it cause i think its our only option we have left. No ******* way id want to move him back if we had other options. going back to Frost isn't gonna change anything. definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting a different result. think that's how it goes.. same thing every ******* time Frost gets bashed when playing gets dropped then everyone remembers him as being Rance so want him back then we all see he cant defend or make good decisions. same with Tyson.

Back