Pets Why is killing an animal for meat considered acceptable but killing a pet is not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Attachment is a factor, also the purpose is important. Dogs for example have a long history of human companionship. They are not wild animals and they will struggle to survive without humans. They were initially bred for the purpose of helping hunter gathers, not for food, that's why in wars, crime scenes you see dogs and not pet bears (who have better sense of smell than dogs).

I think it has to do with the reasons you are killing it?

Killing animals for meat is part of farming.
Killing a domestic pet, well why? Did you get a pet just so you could kill it for the sake of it? Our if you can no longer look after it, why not give it away or at least euthanize it at a vet?

It's all about motive.

Can I adopt you and then eat you when I'm bored?

If the motive is the same, because the animal can't be maintained, or you're just sick of it. Is there a difference between killing a goat or a cat?

I would say no, however we kill goats all the time. And to the goat it makes no difference whether it is eaten . . . Interesting.
who the * goes out and just kills a goat or sheep for the sake of it?

who the **** goes out and just kills a goat or sheep for the sake of it?

Heard of someone that paid to blow up a cow with a hand grenade. When the time came he couldn’t do it. I was pleased, as when I heard it, I was pretty much, what a waste of a decent steak.

Heard of someone that paid to blow up a cow with a hand grenade. When the time came he couldn’t do it. I was pleased, as when I heard it, I was pretty much, what a waste of a decent steak.
that is pretty ****ed up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with that. Some people are freaks.
blowing a cow up with a grenade is something you do in games not in real life.

What country was this in?

blowing a cow up with a grenade is something you do in games not in real life.

What country was this in?

Cambodia. The story goes: He paid $20 for the cow to blow it up, when the time came, he couldn’t do it, and gave the cow back to the farmer.

Yea You can pay to blow cows up up with RPGs over there. The thing is afterwards the village comes in and grabs all the left over meat and eat like kings.

But what about killing cute animals, is that bad?

And why does every mungbean that would never go near an ocean in their lives give a stuff about Great Whites.
They are not cute and they are becoming a hazard towards humans.
If you go any where near culling them for the safety of the people that actually use the ocean, it is like you are farming human baby fetus for plastic surgery.

h9tbwcH.jpg

If I lived on a farm and cut a sheep's neck so that it bled out and died, this would be viewed as somehow acceptable.

However if I went home and wrung a guinea pig's neck, this is viewed as disturbing behaviour.

Even if I killed the animal for the same reason, let's say I was moving to an apartment block that didn't accept animals, the two acts are seen as different.

Is there any justifiable reason, or is it just culture?
You don’t kill your pet because you can’t take it to an apartment, you give it a new home in an environment whereby it’s safe.

There’s a difference between domestic and farming animals. You may breed and keep a whole family of rabbits at home, and kill them for food, that would probably be the same as doing it on a farm with sheep, but in the eyes of the law it wouldn’t fly.

Killing an animal for food is acceptable because youre doing it for a good reason (ie food, a natural part of life and the animal kingdom)
Killing an animal for conservation is acceptable it backed up by science (ie culling the koalas on kangaroo island cause theyre gonna eat themselves to starvation, or culling pests like rabbits)
Killing an animal (pet or otherwise) because it is old and/or in pain is acceptable because you are performing a last-choice act of kindness in order to prevent an animal which cant speak for itself from enduring long term pain

Killing an animal (pet, farm animal, sport shooting, etc) is wrong because you are simply killing for the fun of it, because we have socially evolved to dislike the killing/torturing something for no good reason. There is also ample proof that killing of animals for fun increases the chance that a person will eventually kill a human.

Anyone who cant see the different between killing for genuine reasons and killing for fun needs to see a psychologist.

Also, im not against other cultures killing animals we for some reason deem special for food (ie korea and dogs). just cause we put particular animals on a pedestal doesnt mean we should deny another culture a food source which it has consumed for hundreds or thousands of years.

Killing an animal for food is acceptable because youre doing it for a good reason (ie food, a natural part of life and the animal kingdom)
Killing an animal for conservation is acceptable it backed up by science (ie culling the koalas on kangaroo island cause theyre gonna eat themselves to starvation, or culling pests like rabbits)
Killing an animal (pet or otherwise) because it is old and/or in pain is acceptable because you are performing a last-choice act of kindness in order to prevent an animal which cant speak for itself from enduring long term pain

Killing an animal (pet, farm animal, sport shooting, etc) is wrong because you are simply killing for the fun of it, because we have socially evolved to dislike the killing/torturing something for no good reason. There is also ample proof that killing of animals for fun increases the chance that a person will eventually kill a human.

Anyone who cant see the different between killing for genuine reasons and killing for fun needs to see a psychologist.

Also, im not against other cultures killing animals we for some reason deem special for food (ie korea and dogs). just cause we put particular animals on a pedestal doesnt mean we should deny another culture a food source which it has consumed for hundreds or thousands of years.
What if you hunt for fun and eat the animals you hunt?

What if you hunt for fun and eat the animals you hunt?
depends on how the 'fun' is had. i would say yes, as psychologically you still understand that you are hunting for food, and while the final satisfaction comes from the act of hunting the 'fun' is in the whole experience of tracking etc the animal. The ultimate purpose of the hunt is still to kill for food.

however if you torture the animal to kill it, or do something like tear its head off while alive and spray its blood all over you, but then happen to eat it later then id say no, as the enjoyment is still in the sadistic killing or infliction of pain, and the eating part comes as either an afterthought or as some kind of animalistic rage.

agree but will add to the last paragraph, killing humanely. That video of frying a dog alive was hideous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back