List Mgmt. Operation : Bloody get Rankine

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 1 out of Luko and Fog have kicked bags at both sanfl league and national 18 level and it's not Fog

Different classes
It's not the talent, its the body shape and willingness to take the hits.

Jack certainly has more talent, and that's scary

It's not the talent, its the body shape and willingness to take the hits.

Jack certainly has more talent, and that's scary
Jack been playing men's footy for a while now and taking some hits

Don't see it as an issue , he's an athletic running player that's more important as a modern AFL player than just being physical , he will be physical enough

Hasn't seen an afl gym program yet

Jack been playing men's footy for a while now and taking some hits

Don't see it as an issue , he's an athletic running player that's more important as a modern AFL player than just being physical , he will be physical enough

Hasn't seen an afl gym program yet
Watching his highlights Jack looks like he's always on the move and is great at losing his man due to workrate. Haven't seen him use his body much which could be a issue when he gets to the next level. I mean he has OK size to him currently, but he's still 'lighter framed' by AFL KPF standards.

Good news is he seems to have the frame to carry the extra muscle without losing too much speed or agility. So I'd have no concerns about him taking the next steps.

Watching his highlights Jack looks like he's always on the move and is great at losing his man due to workrate. Haven't seen him use his body much which could be a issue when he gets to the next level. I mean he has OK size to him currently, but he's still 'lighter framed' by AFL KPF standards.

Good news is he seems to have the frame to carry the extra muscle without losing too much speed or agility. So I'd have no concerns about him taking the next steps.

The problem is, its not body size or speed that determines how good you are at contested football. He will need to be a competitive beast if he is going to live up to his pick 1 billing. Its an absolute minimum requirement that all the very elite players have. Jack Lukosius has obviously been rated as a once in a generation draft prospect for a reason. But the key word there is prospect. The last time I heard this type of hype about a player was Jack Watts. Luko is by no means a sure thing. If you had pick 1, you would take him every day of the week. But overpaying to get pick 1? I am not so sure.

The problem is, its not body size or speed that determines how good you are at contested football. He will need to be a competitive beast if he is going to live up to his pick 1 billing. Its an absolute minimum requirement that all the very elite players have. Jack Lukosius has obviously been rated as a once in a generation draft prospect for a reason. But the key word there is prospect. The last time I heard this type of hype about a player was Jack Watts. Luko is by no means a sure thing. If you had pick 1, you would take him every day of the week. But overpaying to get pick 1? I am not so sure.
And the time before that was Nick Reiwoldt. Ying Yang I suppose

And the time before that was Nick Reiwoldt. Ying Yang I suppose

Nick Reiwoldt was stupid courageous. He had an elite aerobic capacity. He could gut run all day. He had unbelievable attributes on top of all of the traits that Luko shares with him. Is there anything to suggest that Luko will develop all of these. Does Luko tackle or apply defensive pressure. Not sure that is part of his tool kit yet.

I agree that Luko is the clear number 1. I would probably trade pick 8 & 9 (Sloane) for him. But if Rankine was slipping to 8, then I wouldn't do that deal. I would take Rankine and hopefully a future A-grader with pick 9. If we keep spiraling and slip all the way back to 5th bottom and ended up with 5 & 6 (Sloane). No way would I be giving those up for Luko. I would take Bailey Smith if available for sure and then possibly one of the King brothers over Rankine.

Nick Reiwoldt was stupid courageous. He had an elite aerobic capacity. He could gut run all day. He had unbelievable attributes on top of all of the traits that Luko shares with him. Is there anything to suggest that Luko will develop all of these. Does Luko tackle or apply defensive pressure. Not sure that is part of his tool kit yet.

I agree that Luko is the clear number 1. I would probably trade pick 8 & 9 (Sloane) for him. But if Rankine was slipping to 8, then I wouldn't do that deal. I would take Rankine and hopefully a future A-grader with pick 9. If we keep spiraling and slip all the way back to 5th bottom and ended up with 5 & 6 (Sloane). No way would I be giving those up for Luko. I would take Bailey Smith if available for sure and then possibly one of the King brothers over Rankine.
Heard some good wraps about Ian Hill today too. Him and Rankine would add the Xfactor this team is missing quick smart

If you have question marks over his competitive streak take a look at last years Prelim. In the 1st 15 minutes he has 3 goals. 1 of those he was the one giving off the ball on the wing then running to the forward pocket to take the mark. That is desire, that is want. That is competing

If you have question marks over his competitive streak take a look at last years Prelim. In the 1st 15 minutes he has 3 goals. 1 of those he was the one giving off the ball on the wing then running to the forward pocket to take the mark. That is desire, that is want. That is competing

That wasn't anything special. Every player in the SANFL could pull off a quick give under pressure. There was not a single highlight from that game that shows what I consider contested footy. There was one that he marked over the back of a player that was caught under the ball. A great mark, but Luko had a free run at it. Its not Luko's fault that he is so quick, smart, and perfecct with his timing that every other possession was without any body contact pressure. But that is why he is going to go number 1. My question mark over him is at AFL level, where there is less space, where the other players are quicker and smarter, its not that easy to get those types of possessions. So what is his game like then. I think that game highlights perfectly what my concern is. I dont see those types of possessions translating to AFL football. Not on a weekly basis.

That wasn't anything special. Every player in the SANFL could pull off a quick give under pressure. There was not a single highlight from that game that shows what I consider contested footy. There was one that he marked over the back of a player that was caught under the ball. A great mark, but Luko had a free run at it. Its not Luko's fault that he is so quick, smart, and perfecct with his timing that every other possession was without any body contact pressure. But that is why he is going to go number 1. My question mark over him is at AFL level, where there is less space, where the other players are quicker and smarter, its not that easy to get those types of possessions. So what is his game like then. I think that game highlights perfectly what my concern is. I dont see those types of possessions translating to AFL football. Not on a weekly basis.
You asked if he was a competitive beast. I supplied something I thought showed that

Have a look at his SANFL highlights for his contested work.

You asked if he was a competitive beast. I supplied something I thought showed that

Have a look at his SANFL highlights for his contested work.

I dont think it does though. I have managed possessions like that :)

Another way to look at it is that the rest of the eagles team that finished minor premiers combined kicked 4 or 5 goals between them in the prelim if you take lukosius contribution out and that sturt defence was the meanest in the comp last year. For him to come in AND stand up and play the way he did showed real skill and desire imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any thoughts of Fog moving into the backline in the short-term, then as he develops, becoming a swing man depending on needs?

On the one or two occasions he has dropped back this year, he seems to read the play very well.

A far better version of Michael Hurley perhaps?

My thoughts: No.

Fogarty should be prepared to be a key forward, and if not that, a midfielder. No point turning him into a defender unless he fails both of those.

Mine is Aker although there was also abbot of Gary Ablett junior with his on ball stuff on Friday and the fend offs
I think Gary Junior is a good comparison, just a bit shorter. That’s why he’s so highly rated, he’s a sure thing gun small forward no matter what happens (worthy of a top 10 Pick) but if he gets his fitness and body size up similar to what Gaz did he’d be an elite midfielder with his evasiness and skills.

Talk of Gary Ablett jr here is fanciful at this point.

2 Brownlows, a shedload of MVP's etc etc. Undoubtedly the best player of the last decade+.

A more durable Cyril Rioli would be more realistic IMO, mind you it would require a big lift in defensive pressure to attain Rioli levels in that particular facet of the game.

Last edited:
Rankine would complement the current set up beautifully - especially if Sloane stays. Short term he'd be the preferred option.

Long term, Lukosious (along with Fogarty) is someone you could build a team around. Add McGovern to that and you've got incredible options to take over from Jenkins and Walker.

With 2 1st Rounders and Carlton's 2nd (prob 3 picks between 9-20) you've got to turn that in to getting one of Lukosious or Rankine (even if using Jenkins/B.Crouch/Atkins/Hartigan in a trade).

If either Sloane or McGovern leave, along with the above, you've got to try and turn that in to getting both of them.

If Sloane signs on, he'll be a one club player and that would be great - his value is more than just his output on the field. McGovern still with 2 years - if he says he wants to go or is flaky on seeing out two years - pull the trigger now and get best value for him.

Rankine would complement the current set up beautifully - especially if Sloane stays. Short term he'd be the preferred option.

Long term, Lukosious (along with Fogarty) is someone you could build a team around. Add McGovern to that and you've got incredible options to take over from Jenkins and Walker.

With 2 1st Rounders and Carlton's 2nd (prob 3 picks between 9-20) you've got to turn that in to getting one of Lukosious or Rankine (even if using Jenkins/B.Crouch/Atkins/Hartigan in a trade).

If either Sloane or McGovern leave, along with the above, you've got to try and turn that in to getting both of them.

If Sloane signs on, he'll be a one club player and that would be great - his value is more than just his output on the field. McGovern still with 2 years - if he says he wants to go or is flaky on seeing out two years - pull the trigger now and get best value for him.
Think you can forget trading any of the suggested players unless they are agreeable to a move with all being contracted for a minimum of 2 more years, 3 in Jenkin's case. Jenkins and Crouch on pretty decent coin too.

Just quietly love that Lukosius and Rankine are Crow supporters and Brodie Smith is coaching them atm

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we could somehow get these two blokes. Dive Melbourne you sons of bitches. Dive. Rory would need to have to get back to career best form in our run in too. Just feels like getting both is a bridge to far. I would also be over the moon with Rankine, Rozee and Hately which I think is doable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back