Player Watch #35: Harry "Coleman" Petty – the answer to our KPF woes?

i obviously know he is killing it forward. im clearly only saying it cause i think its our only option we have left. No ******* way id want to move him back if we had other options. going back to Frost isn't gonna change anything. definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting a different result. think that's how it goes.. same thing every ******* time Frost gets bashed when playing gets dropped then everyone remembers him as being Rance so want him back then we all see he cant defend or make good decisions. same with Tyson.
Frost didn't get smashed when he played under Roos in 2016. We accepted his limitations but let him run with the ball and take the game on. Remember defenders who ran and took the game on? I don't, because Goodwin ******* dropped them all.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Frost didn't get smashed when he played under Roos in 2016. We accepted his limitations but let him run with the ball and take the game on. Remember defenders who ran and took the game on? I don't, because Goodwin ******* dropped them all.
Frost got smashed all the time what are you talking about?? He also had TMac down there doing the heavy lifting. yeah we had a running rebounding defender in Hibberd til we had to make him defend first. You talking about Hunt and Frost as rebounding defenders? pretty sure everybody wanted them dropped.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd rather play Weid down back. TMac and Hogan are the forward pair - chuck whatever small/mid-sized players around them you like. That worked well for weeks. I didn't see the game (re: Petty being woeful), but it's a lot easier to dig up a tall plodder who can halve contests than it is to find a consistent goal-kicking tall forward.

I like this idea, put Weideman on their second tall and let him follow a player around, could work wonders for him by being continually involved. Doubt he could do worse than the current offerings since Lever

I like this idea, put Weideman on their second tall and let him follow a player around, could work wonders for him by being continually involved. Doubt he could do worse than the current offerings since Lever
I think he should do it at Casey first though. Too high a risk to through him into the 1sts, especially when you see how Petty struggled with it on the weekend.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think he should do it at Casey first though. Too high a risk to through him into the 1sts, especially when you see how Petty struggled with it on the weekend.
2 extra pre seasons and about 20 kilos on him though. If you can play forward you can play back in modern footy.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Did Lever play any better in his first few games for us this year?

We have a bunch of kids trying to hold down key posts in our defence. It's absolutely head scratching that we don't have an experienced KPD on our list. Lever, Frost, OMac, Keilty and Petty all still very young and very inexperienced. And I get that TMac is on our list, but clearly he was training all summer as a forward. Getting rid of Dunn in hindsight was a horrible mistake.

IMO, TMac has to go back now. St.Kilda hasn't kicked a score all year and managed to drop 119 on us. I know how valuable he is down forward, but Goodwin has no choice. Frost is useless, Petty and Keilty too inexperienced and Lever injured. Play Weid or Pedo at FF and Hogan CHF. Can still use TMac as a swingman if needed. But our leaky defence is our most worrying concern right now. If we don't stop leaking goals, it's season over very quickly. So put our best and most experienced defender there please..

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Did Lever play any better in his first few games for us this year?

We have a bunch of kids trying to hold down key posts in our defence. It's absolutely head scratching that we don't have an experienced KPD on our list. Lever, Frost, OMac, Keilty and Petty all still very young and very inexperienced. And I get that TMac is on our list, but clearly he was training all summer as a forward. Getting rid of Dunn in hindsight was a horrible mistake.

IMO, TMac has to go back now. St.Kilda hasn't kicked a score all year and managed to drop 119 on us. I know how valuable he is down forward, but Goodwin has no choice. Frost is useless, Petty and Keilty too inexperienced and Lever injured. Play Weid or Pedo at FF and Hogan CHF. Can still use TMac as a swingman if needed. But our leaky defence is our most worrying concern right now. If we don't stop leaking goals, it's season over very quickly. So put our best and most experienced defender there please..
i got called a dumb campaigner multiple times for saying this but it just solves so many of our problems straight away.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
i got called a dumb campaigner multiple times for saying this but it just solves so many of our problems straight away.

100 to 120 or 60 to 80 is still a loss either way. With TMac and Hogan up forward, usually one of them can get off the leash and chalk up 4 or 5 goals. Hogan by himself will get double-teamed and do naff all but play for free kicks.

Not much point in having certain players on the list if they're not even going to get used when we're down to the bare bones in their position. If the midfield and forwards aren't going to apply decent defensive pressure than it won't matter if you send TMac back because they'll keep spotting up open targets. Goody needs to inject some more pace into the side and stick to the stronger bodies for the key position stocks.

Will be interesting to see the changes this week. If he plods on with the tall side or makes some peripheral swaps like Bugg, Wagner in for Petty, Tyson, etc, the guy clearly isn't seeing the writing on the wall for this style of play.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
100 to 120 or 60 to 80 is still a loss either way. With TMac and Hogan up forward, usually one of them can get off the leash and chalk up 4 or 5 goals. Hogan by himself will get double-teamed and do naff all but play for free kicks.

Not much point in having certain players on the list if they're not even going to get used when we're down to the bare bones in their position. If the midfield and forwards aren't going to apply decent defensive pressure than it won't matter if you send TMac back because they'll keep spotting up open targets. Goody needs to inject some more pace into the side and stick to the stronger bodies for the key position stocks.

Will be interesting to see the changes this week. If he plods on with the tall side or makes some peripheral swaps like Bugg, Wagner in for Petty, Tyson, etc, the guy clearly isn't seeing the writing on the wall for this style of play.
Its not ideal wanting to move TMac back but no point having a swing man if you cant swing him when needed yeah go with Frost in 2 weeks everyone be calling for his head suprised nothing has changed. then try Weideman down there already a whipping boy lets watch him not get used to it and cry cause he isnt the answer. definitely need more pace Tyson spent the least amount of time on the ground why cant Baker get that time with his pace in a role more suited to him. dont care if its 3 on 1 against Hogan if he can bring it to ground also means we have an extra so look for them. Our whole forward line are capable of taking marks its about all they are good for. Also giving Weid more space and the role he plays in the VFL might actually work for him.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

I didn’t call you a dumb campaigner but it’s still a silly suggestion when TMac is giving us so much up forward. Making a personnel change to our back 6 won’t change a whole lot, it is more our style and lack of pce over the ground leaves our back 6 our to dry.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I didn’t call you a dumb campaigner but it’s still a silly suggestion when TMac is giving us so much up forward. Making a personnel change to our back 6 won’t change a whole lot, it is more our style and lack of pce over the ground leaves our back 6 our to dry.
Well keep Petty in that case. Theres a reason Petty came in before Frost and we all know why but refuse to accept he is s**t until everytime he comes back in. Drop Petty move TMac back bring in Garlett or Spargo we lose a big forward who is killing it i get all that im not that stupid but just reckon giving Weid a chance to actually have a proper crack might be good for him. Nearly everyone has said he tackles and pressures. weve had other players stand up and kick multiples every week. kicking a score isnt our problem its having no pace or spread and finding that other defender so we can get Hibbo doing what he does best. TMac is a gun at either end but wouldnt even think of throwing him down back if i didnt think it was best for the team. I just cant believe the same people who said Frost was no good are now saying he is the answer i find that silly. Maybe bring Frost in and if he is getting towelled up chuck TMac back but Goodwin never does in game moves he'll just stay with Frost getting belted

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Its not ideal wanting to move TMac back but no point having a swing man if you cant swing him when needed yeah go with Frost in 2 weeks everyone be calling for his head suprised nothing has changed. then try Weideman down there already a whipping boy lets watch him not get used to it and cry cause he isnt the answer. definitely need more pace Tyson spent the least amount of time on the ground why cant Baker get that time with his pace in a role more suited to him. dont care if its 3 on 1 against Hogan if he can bring it to ground also means we have an extra so look for them. Our whole forward line are capable of taking marks its about all they are good for. Also giving Weid more space and the role he plays in the VFL might actually work for him.

TMac can play both ends, but right now he's the in-form tall forward of the competition, so frankly he's a forward. I agree Weid playing as the second tall may be better for him as he'd have more of a command of the forward 50, but I really think it's silly to screw with the dynamic TMac and Hogan have built up. It's one of the few things that has actually been working well over the course of the season (since TMac came back in) and you want to break that up to get another big body in the back line. No sir, I don't like it.

Hogan has been pretty ordinary at bringing the ball to ground when outnumbered. He just wrestles with one bloke and the other opponent gets an almost free crack at the pill.

What you're suggesting seems to me like throwing Cristiano Ronaldo in goals because the keeper is injured. Yes, he's tall, athletic and quick so he'd do a job there in a pinch, but why would you take your best attacking player out to do a passable job in another part of the ground when someone else could do a similar / slightly worse job without handicapping your side. Idea firmly falls in the "tactical moves your opponent would be delighted to see" category. People we could try in the backline before moving TMac down there: Frost, Pedo, Weideman, Wagner, Keilty, Tim Smith, even Hogan.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
TMac can play both ends, but right now he's the in-form tall forward of the competition, so frankly he's a forward. I agree Weid playing as the second tall may be better for him as he'd have more of a command of the forward 50, but I really think it's silly to screw with the dynamic TMac and Hogan have built up. It's one of the few things that has actually been working well over the course of the season (since TMac came back in) and you want to break that up to get another big body in the back line. No sir, I don't like it.

Hogan has been pretty ordinary at bringing the ball to ground when outnumbered. He just wrestles with one bloke and the other opponent gets an almost free crack at the pill.

What you're suggesting seems to me like throwing Cristiano Ronaldo in goals because the keeper is injured. Yes, he's tall, athletic and quick so he'd do a job there in a pinch, but why would you take your best attacking player out to do a passable job in another part of the ground when someone else could do a similar / slightly worse job without handicapping your side. Idea firmly falls in the "tactical moves your opponent would be delighted to see" category. People we could try in the backline before moving TMac down there: Frost, Pedo, Weideman, Wagner, Keilty, Tim Smith, even Hogan.
stupid comparison with CR he has never played in goals. just gotta wait a couple of weeks til we lose to the dogs having Frost down there and see what everyone is calling for then.. i seriously cannot believe people think Frost is the answer next itll be Wagner and by that time our season will be over cause we didnt pull the trigger. id love to be wrong and Frost comes in and kills it

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pedo has been playing as a defender at Casey. not sure if he is the answer though. I reckon they'll lean towards maybe going back to using J.Smith at CHB again and bringing back in Vince. Frost and Kielty have been the best tall defenders in the last 3 games at Casey. Frost takes the game on more though, but whether that's a good or bad thing i dont know. I reckon Hogan could play CHB fairly well if tried there but I doubt that'll happen. Wagner didn't play on the weekend so not sure what the go is with him either.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pedo has been playing as a defender at Casey. not sure if he is the answer though. I reckon they'll lean towards maybe going back to using J.Smith at CHB again and bringing back in Vince. Frost and Kielty have been the best tall defenders in the last 3 games at Casey. Frost takes the game on more though, but whether that's a good or bad thing i dont know. I reckon Hogan could play CHB fairly well if tried there but I doubt that'll happen. Wagner didn't play on the weekend so not sure what the go is with him either.
i love this place Most wanted Pedo in he comes in then everybody goes wtf. most wanted Vince out he goes out now he brings s**t we are missing. Nearly everybody wanted Smith out yet now we could put him back in a more important role. Everytime Frost is in most call for him to be dropped. Wagner played alright but every campaigner hates him for no reason. Hogan would get 1 goal kicked on him and start dropping his head or throwing his arms around(might actually show him why you need to pressure). Petty was our best VFL defender he got a game got towelled up unfairly by lazy campaigners up the ground but couldnt play him again. Maybe all im trying to say is we are ****ed and nothing we do is gonna work haha

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
i love this place Most wanted Pedo in he comes in then everybody goes wtf. most wanted Vince out he goes out now he brings s**t we are missing. Nearly everybody wanted Smith out yet now we could put him back in a more important role. Everytime Frost is in most call for him to be dropped. Wagner played alright but every campaigner hates him for no reason. Hogan would get 1 goal kicked on him and start dropping his head or throwing his arms around(might actually show him why you need to pressure). Petty was our best VFL defender he got a game got towelled up unfairly by lazy campaigners up the ground but couldnt play him again. Maybe all im trying to say is we are ****** and nothing we do is gonna work haha
everyone has varying opinions. I would bring back Frost myself but I just reckon they might go small again for up in Darwin in what will likely be humid and slippery conditions, and because Petty wasn't very good. but he was still preferred to Frost and Keilty in the first place so what does that say about their chances?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
stupid comparison with CR he has never played in goals. just gotta wait a couple of weeks til we lose to the dogs having Frost down there and see what everyone is calling for then.. i seriously cannot believe people think Frost is the answer next itll be Wagner and by that time our season will be over cause we didnt pull the trigger. id love to be wrong and Frost comes in and kills it

You’re missing the point, throwing Tmac down there doesn’t change much because it is a SYSTEM and SELECTION problem that is hurting our defence. Pick some players who can put on pressure inside 50 and stop playing such a stupidly high press without Lever then we should see improvement.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
You’re missing the point, throwing Tmac down there doesn’t change much because it is a SYSTEM and SELECTION problem that is hurting our defence. Pick some players who can put on pressure inside 50 and stop playing such a stupidly high press without Lever then we should see improvement.
you're missing my point i understand TMac has been our best forward but he also was our best defender we have other forwards we dont have any good defenders left to try we brought in a 1st gamer over Frost FFS whats that saying. having 3 bigs and 3 mediums isnt working moving TMac back lets us fix the hole in defense releases Hibberd more allows us to bring in a crumber. gives Weid an actual crack at it. we stop selecting spuds weve already tried down back. straight away system and selection is better. if Frost comes in and kills it thatll be ******* sweet but i hope the campaigners in the coaches box actually pull the trigger and move TMac back if Frost is getting towelled up. obviously need more pace and sort out the back of our press but we all know selection wont go how it should and Wagner and Vince will come in or some s**t. im done talking about this no one agrees we'll just wait a few weeks and see how the defense is holding up with Frost or whatever other spud we bring in

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

Don't think it is just forward pressure, I blame the mids even more. Either they don't want to work hard on the defensive transition or they are unable too. Maybe we are pressing too high and therefore unable to recover, but even if we pressure them inside our forward 50, if they have 5 open players in the midfield then it won't matter. They will just run it in waves up to their forward line just like the last couple of weeks.

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This. Very unfair to expect Petty to play as Lever was four weeks ago in his first game. Goodwin needs to face facts and his plan a for this season has been torn up along with Lever’s knee. He needs to get creative from here and come up with a new formula with the players he has at his disposal. What’s frustrating is he had a good opportunity to trial something new at home against weak opposition but he went trying to recapture what we had four weeks ago and we lost anyway. And we looked terrible, like we won’t win again this season. So if Goody doesn’t try to make a fundamental change to our structure and team this week, then for me he is just too stupid to ever make it as a good coach and best case scenario is he becomes adequate in an uninspiring Rodney Eade type of way.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
you're missing my point i understand TMac has been our best forward but he also was our best defender we have other forwards we dont have any good defenders left to try we brought in a 1st gamer over Frost FFS whats that saying. having 3 bigs and 3 mediums isnt working moving TMac back lets us fix the hole in defense releases Hibberd more allows us to bring in a crumber. gives Weid an actual crack at it. we stop selecting spuds weve already tried down back. straight away system and selection is better. if Frost comes in and kills it thatll be ******* sweet but i hope the campaigners in the coaches box actually pull the trigger and move TMac back if Frost is getting towelled up. obviously need more pace and sort out the back of our press but we all know selection wont go how it should and Wagner and Vince will come in or some s**t. im done talking about this no one agrees we'll just wait a few weeks and see how the defense is holding up with Frost or whatever other spud we bring in

Wouldn’t matter if we had Rance and Scarlett down there mate, the ball still comes in quickly and under very little pressure.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Wouldn’t matter if we had Rance and Scarlett down there mate, the ball still comes in quickly and under very little pressure.

Especially as we leave our back 6 more exposed than other in the league at the moment.

Back