2018 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

How many people from here are in PMC on Facebook?
I used to be in that group. May have to re-join at some point, but it did get a bit repetitive for someone that loathes Trout Mask Replica and doesn't particularly love ITAOTS.

I used to be in that group. May have to re-join at some point, but it did get a bit repetitive for someone that loathes Trout Mask Replica and doesn't particularly love ITAOTS.
It can be great for recommendations or just chatting, but can be overly meme-y a lot of the time. There’s also a lot of people who you know just get a rush out of trying to be all contrarian and what not, without actually having anything of substance to say.

Unrelated, Rolling Blackouts CF’s debut is as good as expected. There’s something so continuously fresh about their sound, while being able to hark back to classic Australian rock .

Attended the Autechre Sydney show last week and also have the Melbourne and Hobart bootlegs, so it feels like you experienced the entire tour. Confident of official soundboard(s) in the short to medium, as a sendoff to onesix.

The album track Tutorial from TT's Lovelaws happens to be my most listened 2018 track thus far.

It can be great for recommendations or just chatting, but can be overly meme-y a lot of the time. There’s also a lot of people who you know just get a rush out of trying to be all contrarian and what not, without actually having anything of substance to say.

Unrelated, Rolling Blackouts CF’s debut is as good as expected. There’s something so continuously fresh about their sound, while being able to hark back to classic Australian rock .
Agree with both. I'll probably rejoin again at some point, but yeah it did at times feel a bit like 4chan/Reddit.

Rolling Blackouts CF's album is a very solid debut. No real bad songs, though I did think that the rest of the album failed to live up to the singles (that being said, Mainland, Talking Straight and The Hammer are all fantastic). I'll have to relisten, but The Hammer is what I've been returning to a lot recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, honestly I'd rather listen to Scorpion than most of that Wyoming stuff (which is saying something). The Nas was nadir-esque as well. Predictably so, Kanye is done.

Last edited:
More Life is still the best thing Drake's done since the musically weird but coherent Take Care.

Scorpion is not great, pretty pretentious in a 'drake's the only one who loves life' kinda way, and exhausting as * but I'm mostly mad cause he'd done given us Scorpios a bad rep.

Eh Drake bores me now. He has a few decent singles every album but they're a shade on his actual really good songs, which was stuff like Over My Dead Body. His albums are 2-4 songs you really like, a heap of below average stuff, and then some trash. The fact he's still pandering to this 'takeover' style with so many tracks is sort of childish too... you got your record, chill, now put out a good piece of work. I just get the feeling he's of a 'wouldn't mind seeing everyone get hyped for me again, it's fun teasing music, might put out an album' guy rather than a 'I want to work really really hard on this and make it really good' sort of guy.

Also he hasn't musically progressed in near on six or seven years.

Just don't 'get it' now.

Mid-year top 10:

DJ Koze
Snail Mail
Soccer Mommy
Leon Vynehall
Tropical * Storm
Jon Hopkins
Kali Uchis
No Age
Pusha T
Nils Frahm

Still got some stuff to catch up on, but solid year so far.

I think Drake has mostly maintained the same level. He has always been patchy and mildly boring, best in small doses and features, Take Care in itself can be a slog to get through. Scorpion is more of the same in some ways, but I don't mind this one personally, what can I say, 2018 Drake works for me.

Maybe it helps to be a non-fan for the most part? Someone who never rated him, free of Drake fatigue. Because I don't ask much of Drake, just some listenable pop rap, and this fits the bill nicely enough.

Last edited:
I’ve got a feeling that Feel The Love from Kids See Ghosts will age really, really badly. I’m mainly talking about the Kanye brapping part. I don’t hate the song, it’s a bit of fun, but a few years won’t be kind to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back