Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
They Really should call Gill Doc Brown from Back to the Future giving Tassie Football things we had before and both were seemed to have failed and taken away ! oh well Tipping

ROUND 15

North Launceston
Lauderdale
Tigers

A few close games that might go either way.

Couldn't agree more. The AFL are pushing for a National AFL reserves comp. ONly waiting on the WAFL clubs to come on board. So whats of the VFL comp then, even though the VFL have already stipulated they don't want us in it.

They Really should call Gill Doc Brown from Back to the Future giving Tassie Football things we had before and both were seemed to have failed and taken away ! oh well Tipping

ROUND 15

North Launceston
Lauderdale
Tigers

A few close games that might go either way.

Yes agree. Potentially all close games. Clarence v Lauderdale would be worth a look.

North Launy
Clarence
Tigers

I have my say on other threads about the AFL response. Its just a joke.

Yes agree. Potentially all close games. Clarence v Lauderdale would be worth a look.

North Launy
Clarence
Tigers

I have my say on other threads about the AFL response. Its just a joke.

My opinion is the Devils won't happen. The VFL is just a proposal with a possible start date of 2021. So it's not totally confirmed yet. We don't have the players or the talent to have a full time VFL side, Mariners and a TSL. And i don't see how this helps grass roots football. Participation numbers are dropping across all age groups and thats the biggest concern. To my understanding there were 24 u/16 teams in the STJFL last year, this year there is only 12. Thats not good.

I"m sort of sick of hearing about the money being pumped into the Gold Coast and GWS. If you were a business person with a product you want to market, would push in a town where there is 280,000 or 28,000? Well thats the participation of footballers in QLD to Tas currently. GC has a population of 600,000 and thats in an area of about an hours drive and it's expected to be over 1 million in ten years. Of course the AFL are going to push into that zone. So using that in our argument to get our own AFL team or fix footy is irrelevent IMO.

We need to get into schools and get kids playing the game.

Mariners full time is also dumb. These kids are in their final year of high school and we are asking them to travel all around the state and over to Melbourne every second week to play footy on the off chance we may get 1 extra kid drafted. I think thats irresponsible.

From 1995-2002 the mariners were full time, we averaged 2.22 kids drafted a year.

2002-2017 we have averaged 3.75 u/18 draftees from a partime mariner program.

Thats facts.

My opinion is the Devils won't happen. The VFL is just a proposal with a possible start date of 2021. So it's not totally confirmed yet. We don't have the players or the talent to have a full time VFL side, Mariners and a TSL. And i don't see how this helps grass roots football. Participation numbers are dropping across all age groups and thats the biggest concern. To my understanding there were 24 u/16 teams in the STJFL last year, this year there is only 12. Thats not good.

I"m sort of sick of hearing about the money being pumped into the Gold Coast and GWS. If you were a business person with a product you want to market, would push in a town where there is 280,000 or 28,000? Well thats the participation of footballers in QLD to Tas currently. GC has a population of 600,000 and thats in an area of about an hours drive and it's expected to be over 1 million in ten years. Of course the AFL are going to push into that zone. So using that in our argument to get our own AFL team or fix footy is irrelevent IMO.

We need to get into schools and get kids playing the game.

Mariners full time is also dumb. These kids are in their final year of high school and we are asking them to travel all around the state and over to Melbourne every second week to play footy on the off chance we may get 1 extra kid drafted. I think thats irresponsible.

From 1995-2002 the mariners were full time, we averaged 2.22 kids drafted a year.

2002-2017 we have averaged 3.75 u/18 draftees from a partime mariner program.

Thats facts.
Talking about schools I have been going for my daily walk at Lunch time and have passed the three following Primary Schools Campbell Street, Lenah Valley and New Town PS Plenty of kids playing soccer I have yet to see an Aussie Ruled Football, the one exemption was New Town High School was still in the minority of the Kids playing on the Oval and Fields. I know it is a very small sample but once and not too long ago it was the opposite.

Talking about schools I have been going for my daily walk at Lunch time and have passed the three following Primary Schools Campbell Street, Lenah Valley and New Town PS Plenty of kids playing soccer I have yet to see an Aussie Ruled Football, the one exemption was New Town High School was still in the minority of the Kids playing on the Oval and Fields. I know it is a very small sample but once and not too long ago it was the opposite.
The kids play soccer at Albuera Street too. On the netball courts as I don't think there is any actual fields there?

Looks like we need to look at American lingerie football

Where's a look of resignation icon when you need one...fine, I'm in then...

This week, in local news:
- Launceston could very well pull the finger out and use their undoubted talent to smack North Launceston around a bit, which was my rationale for tipping them the last two times. Because that theory was utter nonsense the last two times, I'm going North.
- Lauderdale is back. They'll beat Clarence.
- The Tigers were great taking out the aforementioned talent laden Launceston last week. Because of that, they'll do what they always do, think they've achieved perfection, and get done this week. Lucky it's North Hobart they'll lose to, because percentage or something...

Can't even imagine what that's like. Up here, Rugby League rules all, to the extent they got rid of the soccer goals on the ridiculously oversized sports paddock they've got at school, and there hasn't been a cricket pitch or nets in years. No other sport is attempted outside League and Touch. When I taught in Brisbane's SW, with huge PI and Vietnamese populations, you could forgive them for not knowing what "Australian footy" meant, because they'd all at least nod when you said "AFL". You won't even get that here...totally oblivious...my worst nightmare when I lapse in trying not to think about it...

I must say a few might get a shock when I mention Lauderdale Coach Darren Winter & his comments in todays 'Mercury'. :)

I guess he does think deeply about the game in Tasmania, I have to dips me lid to his very insightful comments. He's voiced everything I & my footy group of mates have said for ages.

The FT mariners & VFL wont work. Its past & should stay in the past. The cost & value to Tasmania make it a waste of resources. The cost & pressure on the players, as with the FT mariners is also a cost too great on players, officials, kids & parents alike. The time, cost & travel & training requirements are part the reason it all failed last time.

Where are the resources for grass roots & footy played here in Tasmania? Surely spend the money on football here. Get coaches with AFL level expertise into the TSL. Spread that to community & junior football. Work at getting more kids into junior footy. Spend the resources in Tasmania, not on airfares & hotels for a few. More kids, well coached at the bottom end will give the results in numbers & quality at the top end.

Players, coaches & umpires will benefit, not just a narrow elite.

Well spoken Mr Winter. A different level of thought than some of the TSL president who shtye themselves & backed the AFLs non plan for Tasmania. North Hobart, Glenorchy & North Launceston Presidents get it. They know a plan thats just about suiting the AFLs agenda of fobbing us off, again. The other Presidents need to think a bit more & get a back bone.

FFS this is a vital pivot point for Tassie football. The media, Politicians & real footy people are on side. The real problems need to be addressed, not just another AFL whitewash.

Tipping leaderboard

Halftimehero 3 = 32
Grey Budgie 3 = 31
Mudmug 3 = 31
Gibbke 3 = 31
Whowants2know 3 = 29

For the second time in three weeks AFLTas live streams fails into the third quarter broadcast with no sound, Anyone know what is the story with Clarence Jumper today black V with red and black hoops playing Lauderdale? The only difference on viewing on a standard view is red shorts vs white shorts.
If its for Charity fair enough but on Streaming it hard to tell apart, not sure what it is like watching live.

Last edited:
For the second time in three weeks AFLTas live streams fails into the third quarter broadcast with no sound, Anyone know what is the story with Clarence Jumper today black V with red and black hoops playing Lauderdale? The only difference on viewing on a standard view is red shorts vs white shorts.
If its for Charity fair enough but on Streaming it hard to tell apart, not sure what it is like watching live.

Was pretty bad live too, good result though :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was pretty bad live too, good result though :D
Outplayed them easily the Southern Bombers in the second half, after beating NL Clarence have fallen back into the pack, Talking about North Launnie pinched it last night after such a slow start. Stayed with the Youtube silent streaming...Did the comentators, head to the Bar wish this would happen to Dwayne Russell. As for the Jumper clash who approved that at AFL tasmania? really got to question the common sense factor at HQ.

They wouldn't have time to approve the jumpers.
Gill was in town this week, all resources were put towards their marvellous presentation.

Tipping leaderboard

Halftimehero 3 = 35
Grey Budgie 3 = 34
Mudmug 2 = 33
Gibbke 2 = 33
Whowants2know 2 = 31

Round 16 leaderboard

Halftimehero 3 = 38
Grey Budgie 2 = 36
Mudmug 3 = 36
Gibbke 2 = 35
Whowants2know 2 = 33