The density rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d imagine it would just be for stoppages. Too hard to patrol with players leading at the ball etc.

Yes it is just for stoppages. Must also have a minimum of 5 players in your own half at stoppages.

Bring it in to the AFL next season.

The WA v Allies under 18 match is easily the best officiated game I have seen all year.

This is exactly it......the old footy people want back was like watching an under 18’s game!
The AFL is full of professional athletes, coaches etc, if you can’t handle the complexities of current structures and strategies, it’s probably best to just watch under age or local footy

This is exactly it......the old footy people want back was like watching an under 18’s game!
The AFL is full of professional athletes, coaches etc, if you can’t handle the complexities of current structures and strategies, it’s probably best to just watch under age or local footy

Great post

Also, the idea that, because everything went smoothly at under 18s, that starting positions at stoppages will be implemented with the same seamlessness into the professional environment is clearly ridiculous.

Someone that has only ever dined out on crap is going to think stale bread is a banquet.

I'm surprised that few people are taking this seriously.

I thought the footy was much better to watch as a spectacle.
Very hard to make a comparison between non-professional kids and elite professional AFL teams and coaches.
What works for one might not work for the other.

Is it worth a trial in the first round of preseason matches? Probably worth some sort of look before bringing any rule in to the real thing.

Very hard to make a comparison between non-professional kids and elite professional AFL teams and coaches.
What works for one might not work for the other.

Is it worth a trial in the first round of preseason matches? Probably worth some sort of look before bringing any rule in to the real thing.

Yeah, much fitter, stronger and with a bigger coaching staff to pick it apart. It’s worth JLT trial though.

Great post

Also, the idea that, because everything went smoothly at under 18s, that starting positions at stoppages will be implemented with the same seamlessness into the professional environment is clearly ridiculous.
The coaches of 18s teams have next to no interest in winning. It’s all about ensuring the most players possible get drafted. Further, they’re there for the good of the game as much as anything, and playing positional football gives recruiters the best look, so they do it.

Coaches of AFL teams are different. Winning is their livelihood. If there’s a way to exploit any rule, they will.

I'm surprised that few people are taking this seriously.

I thought the footy was much better to watch as a spectacle.
Virtually none of us see these games.
If anti-density rules force a player to not be able to run out of 50 metre arc on a lead, total bullshit. Same if full back or back pocket cannot go do a Saad or David Dench type run.
But if it is only 2 players at a ball up, then ok with that as can still run where you like. If Saad runs up forward and ball up as clearly Saad should not to need to at that point.
One of back flankers just needs to trot back a few metres at ball up to start stoppage in 50 metre back arc. Has to be easy to officiate though or scrap.

How do under 18's work with this so called rule you have as heading ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep well it’s the same thing, 36 kids or professional athletes all chasing the ball and all at one end.

Virtually none of us see these games.
If anti-density rules force a player to not be able to run out of 50 metre arc on a lead, total bullshit. Same if full back or back pocket cannot go do a Saad or David Dench type run.
But if it is only 2 players at a ball up, then ok with that as can still run where you like. If Saad runs up forward and ball up as clearly Saad should not to need to at that point.
One of back flankers just needs to trot back a few metres at ball up to start stoppage in 50 metre back arc. Has to be easy to officiate though or scrap.

How do under 18's work with this so called rule you have as heading ?
Not sure how it works at 18s level, but I have seen this rule in junior rep games. It’s pretty loosely enforced there, so yeah players can lead outside the 50 or if they need to run onto the other half of the ground to get a loose ball then so be it. Pretty sure the penalty for breaking it was a 50, but I never saw it actually get called once. I’m pretty sure it was only put in place to deter teams from flooding and to allow the kids to show their abilities for recruiters to see.

Missed the second game where Vic Metro, who were coming back at the time, gave up a goal for breaching this rule?

It was a bad look.

Great post

I'm with this guy.

two forwards and two defenders needing to be inside forward 50 at all times.
I hate the AFL wanting to change the rules. There are plenty of players that thrive in contested situations, why would you want to take that away from the game. It *s with drafting, and in the end teams would just end up drafting a one dimensional player to sit in the goal square the size of darius jokarzadeh. Just get the biggest guy out there.

Any zoning rules would see me stop watching AFL. Why the hell do we want to further change the fabric of the game?

Not every game is going to be a classic, free running goal fest. Big deal.

I tell you what would reduce congestion. Start officiating the game correctly. Start paying holds, dropping the ball, holding the ball, in the back (especially at scrimmages) etc. Then make players move the ball on far quicker after frees. The game clogs up because umpires don't pay frees at congestion, and when they do, they allow a player too much time to go back and take his kick.

Here's a radical idea... anyone can take the free. Instantly the game moves quicker. Doesn't change the fabric of the game.

Please don't support zones.

Any zoning rules would see me stop watching AFL. Why the hell do we want to further change the fabric of the game?

Not every game is going to be a classic, free running goal fest. Big deal.

I tell you what would reduce congestion. Start officiating the game correctly. Start paying holds, dropping the ball, holding the ball, in the back (especially at scrimmages) etc. Then make players move the ball on far quicker after frees. The game clogs up because umpires don't pay frees at congestion, and when they do, they allow a player too much time to go back and take his kick.

Here's a radical idea... anyone can take the free. Instantly the game moves quicker. Doesn't change the fabric of the game.

Please don't support zones.

I'd like to see this trialed for the season remainder before bringing in rash changes like zoning or rotation reduction, the cats v dogs game was a ripper in the previous round. The umps were moving the game on much quicker and one of them mentioned they were doing so at half time.

Cmon HQ - do this 1st and then make a decision on any changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back