Next Generation academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Want some more "good" news?

I've just been reliably informed Mihail Lochowiak is a free agent this draft, anyone can take him.....The required paperwork was not submitted by the club. WTF

Might care to bring that up when you contact the club.

Isn't that Phil Harper's job? Or was he too busy guarding the bee?

Want some more "good" news?

I've just been reliably informed Mihail Lochowiak is a free agent this draft, anyone can take him.....The required paperwork was not submitted by the club. WTF

Might care to bring that up when you contact the club.

The club does have some form with getting these calls right from past history (Jarman and Edwards), so may be the plan to pick him in the rookie draft (if that is still a thing).

Still though it's strange they have to state who they want to take so early on in the piece, or are interested in without having the ability to amend at some point near the end of the season to allow for growth/upswings in form/tool development.

Last edited:

Exactly. Im going to email fages on this.. im not sure they know what theyre signing up to. Losing A grade talent over the next 3 years versus potentially getting a remote indigenous footballer as a rookie
His inbox is full

The club does have some form with getting these calls right from past history (Jarman and Edwards), so may be the plan to pick him in the rookie draft (if that is still a thing).

Still though it's strange they have to state who they want to take so early on in the piece, or are interested in without having the ability to amend at some point near the end of the season to allow for growth/upswings in form/tool development.
We have one player eligible in 2018...

Kudzaishe Motsi

My email to the club (emailed to the club not Fages as I'm sure he would just handball it to the recruiting team):

To whom it may concern at the AFC,

I’m a paid member of the AFC and would like the following news to be commented on if possible as I have a few concerns with what has been put into motion with the AFL.

The club’s Next Generation academy seems like a great initiative that is working in getting disadvantaged background people to have a chance at an AFL career. The article written in the AFL this morning however suggests that West Coast Eagles with backing of SA clubs (including the AFC) have agreed to a proposal where ANY player in the academy (indigenous or multicultural) would be available to all clubs in the draft (Top 30) instead of the current setup of priority access for the clubs developing them – as a trade-off for the entire state of indigenous players.

My take on this is that players currently in the clubs academy if they are considered top 30 picks they will not be only available to the AFC. Players like Daniel Sladojevic, James Borlase etc. seem to be elite talents who the club would be able to take advantage of this academy for the first time to negate some of the inequalities of this competition in both Victoria and the northern states. Note the academies in the northern states allow priority access still to all players.

I would appreciate clarification on this – as I am not sure the club as truly appreciated what they are agreeing to (with West Coast’s proposal). The article reads that the AFC are forgoing the chance to draft top 10 pick players (e.g. Sladojevic and Borlase) with the 20% discount in exchange for a slightly larger pool of players who will only be available to the club if they are not worth of being top 30 in the draft players. Having followed the draft closely for a number of years it would seem a massive advantage has been lost – and I can’t work out why the club would agree to this given the incentive for the academy (high draft players with priority access and discount) has now been relinquished. The likelihood is that the indigenous players available as a priority after the top 30 in the draft would end up at the club either late in the draft or in the rookie draft without the academy in place given the research that goes into it (it’s why they call it picking a diamond out of the rough!).

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/indigenous-academy-backlash-20180620-p4zmq3.html

The following extract I took particular concern with:

And clubs believe that the AFL is seriously looking at adopting a proposal – put forward by West Coast, with the backing of Fremantle and the SA clubs – to have the Next Generation Academy’s Indigenous and multicultural players available to all clubs in the first 25 or 30 positions in the national draft in a trade-off for the WA and SA teams gaining access to their entire states.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t gotten a response from my two emails last week. Tried again this morning.
Getting a little annoyed they haven’t responded. Maybe they know they’ve ****** up.
Youve made a few assumptions though that could just be wrong in the clubs view and likely they can't answer specifically.

Haven’t gotten a response from my two emails last week. Tried again this morning.
Getting a little annoyed they haven’t responded. Maybe they know they’ve ****** up.
What were the emails about?

After what we’ve learnt about Burton this year, not really.
But all we can do is question their decisions for accountability - so they know we are actually paying attention.

The question is do they care. "hold firm, it will blow over"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back