Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:

McEvoy

Alpaca My Bags
Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor SFA Fight For MND SFA Bushfire Appeal SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser drazah memorial Beyond Blue donor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Sep 26, 2016
A good paddock
AFL Club
Sydney
Rainkine is supposedly tanking interviews so he will only be drafted to a South Australian club so this might affect his draft position.
Reckon Crows should put the cue in the rack to ensure they get him around pick 7.

Surely given the form a number of top players have shown that Blakey can't get a bid before pick 6 or 7. Will still cost us our first and a chunk of our second.

Reckon Lynch and Sloane are gone so whatever pick we get at seasons end will get pushed out another two and that will hurt us.

Cal Twomey has Nick Blakey at #7 in Phantom Form Guide
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-05/afl-draft-phantom-form-guide-july-edition
POS: Tall forward/midfielder, Ht 195 cm, Wt 80 kg, DOB 27/2/00
From Sydney Swans Academy/Allies
A viral infection floored Blakey early in the championships, sending him to hospital and seeing him lose four kilos. He returned and grew into the carnival, booting two goals for the Allies against South Australia last week and playing a dominant role in the midfield in Wednesday's loss to Western Australia. Blakey is a unique size and shape. He plays generally as a marking half-forward given his height, but he is quick to collect the ball and snap it on his left side and showed he would be tough to contain in the midfield. Blakey will join the Swans as an Academy player on draft night.

McEvoy

Alpaca My Bags
Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor SFA Fight For MND SFA Bushfire Appeal SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser drazah memorial Beyond Blue donor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Sep 26, 2016
A good paddock
AFL Club
Sydney
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting quotes from Blakey

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/9be344f0989d8e4252ba8541b0e169f7

“I just want to stay home with family. I love Sydney. Still anything can happen on draft night, but if I can stay in Sydney that’d be great.”

“(Sydney were) happy, but they’ve just said all along that anything can happen on draft night and if a bid comes, they’ll see what they’ll have to give up to commit to it.”

Sounds like our list are skirting around committing. Whether that be because they don't want to commit their hand or wont bid on him if he's too high

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/9be344f0989d8e4252ba8541b0e169f7

“I just want to stay home with family. I love Sydney. Still anything can happen on draft night, but if I can stay in Sydney that’d be great.”

“(Sydney were) happy, but they’ve just said all along that anything can happen on draft night and if a bid comes, they’ll see what they’ll have to give up to commit to it.”

Sounds like our list are skirting around committing. Whether that be because they don't want to commit their hand or wont bid on him if he's too high

Can always wait 2 years for the 'go-home' factor.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

I think it’s likely that we want other teams to think we might pass him if he is selected, inappropriately, too early to try and force our hand.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Is Blakely genuinely a top 10 pick without any shenanigans?

Not that I ever subscribe to "super-draft" stuff, every year is always awesome sauce it seems until it actually happens, where would he go in this draft naturally given I allow it is good quality.
Do yourself a favour and watch this video specially from the 2.02 to 2.12. Not many 195cm players can do that

Just saying the right thing , the club probably did say that, for instance if you got some offer to good to refuse and have to miss him

Or the aflban us from the draft

Hope he gets developed as a midfielder first, makes the most sense to me and he is talented enough.

Back