AFL Canada

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Few things from the presidents report

• 175 Canadian players attended Nationals, a fantastic demonstration of the growth of the game amongst locals here in Canada.
  • Dan Jackson (former Richmond Tigers Captain) was appointed High Performance Manager and worked primarily with member clubs in Ontario.
  • Our relationship with the AFL has improved through regular engagement by Chris and myself. Our annual grant was increased by 25% this year, and they have been appreciative with the strides the current board has made this past year resulting in the AFL awarding us with a one-off grant for use in helping our national teams IC17 campaign.
  • We started a relationship with Sherrin this year that enabled us to offer all member clubs and their players a discount off the retail price of Sherrins, a valuable savings of roughly $4,000.
  • Our TV commercial was aired during nearly every AFL game played on TSN during the year, helping grow the exposure of the sport.
  • There were 300 WatchAFL live passes sold into Canada, but only 20 utilised our discount code. We encourage every club to promote that opportunity to your players in 2017 to provide a discount to AFL Canada registrants, and help generate some revenue for AFL Canada (approx. $300 in revenue was earned in 2016, but could’ve been $2,000+ if everyone had utilised our discount code).
  • At a participation level, several leagues experienced growth in 2016, particularly BC Footy, Calgary and Quebec. Edmonton & Ontario numbers were down in 2016 while Nova Scotia and Newfoundland were relatively flat.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...D=154776&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=50616991

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Calgary is introducing a 7v7 indoor aussie rules comp, developed with the Calgary Kangaroos

G’Day Mates! Just when things couldn’t get any more interesting, the CSSC decided to unveil yet another new sport to our Multi-Sport League: Aussie Rules Football. We’ve been working with the Calgary Kangaroos on creating a ridgy-didge variation of this sport for our Multi-Sport line-up (and potentially to our full-time sport line-up in the future), and it finally came to fruition this past Fall.

This is a game that is played 7-on-7, and similar to all our sports is non-contact (which is an obvious difference to regular Aussies Rules Football). The object of the game is to score on the opposing team by kicking or “hand-passing” through the goal posts. The field of play is an entire Indoor Soccer surface (or triple gymnasium). The court is divided into three sections: a mid-zone and two scoring zones. Teams can only score when they are in the “scoring zone” of the opposing team. Teams make their way to the scoring zone by passing to their teammates via kicking or “hand-passing” (punching the ball). In order to prevent teams from moving down the field, the defending team can either knock down a pass or “touch” an opposing player. Once a player who has the ball is touched, he/she has two seconds to get rid of the ball. If a ball touches the ground or a player does not get rid of the ball after being touched, the ball is turned over to the opposing team and free kick is awarded.

Teams cannot hand-off or forward pass a ball to a teammate. If a player kicks the ball to his/her teammate and he/she catches it, it is called a “Mark” and the player who caught the kick has 5 seconds (where he/she cannot be touched by an opposing player) to either kick, hand-pass, carry the ball forward, or step backwards for a free kick. If the “mark” moves forward, play is on and he/she can be touched.

Teams can attempt a shot via two methods: kicking the ball or “hand-passing” the ball between the goal posts. If a player kicks the ball (and the ball doesn’t touch another player or a goal post) the team is awarded 6 points. If the ball is touched prior to going through the goal posts, hits an upright goal post, or is hand passed, only one point will be awarded.

After the first time offering this sport it has been well received (many say it’s a ripper game), so we will continue introducing it among a couple divisions/days in our Multi-Sport League. Hope you get the opportunity to give it a burl! There may be continued tweaks to the rules as we receive feedback, so if you do get the chance to play, we’d love to hear from you.

We think we added a nice “shrimp on the barbie” for our Multi-Sport line-up!

http://www.calgarysportsclub.com/headlines/multi-sport/new-game-block-going-down-under

Sep 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
35971181_1566818240096048_2476148637277618176_n.png

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Australian Football is now an official Canadian sport.

AFL Canada was established in May 1989 when two clubs were formed and played in the inaugural Conacher Cup game in Toronto, Ontario.
Since its launch into Canada, the game of Australian Football has expanded to include:

• AFL British Columbia (11 clubs): Burnaby Eagles, Seattle Grizzlies, Vancouver-Whistler Hawks, Vancouver Cougars, Victoria Sharks, West Coast Saints, Vancouver Vixens, West Coast Wildcats, North Delta Junior AFL, Vernon Roosters, Penticton Bombers
  • AFL Alberta (7 clubs): Edmonton AFC, Bow Valley Bisons, Calgary Kangaroos, Calgary Kookaburras, Fort McMurray AFC, University of Calgary AFC, AFL Alberta
  • AFL Saskatchewan (2 programs): ED Feehnam, GSCS
  • AFL Manitoba (1 club): Winnipeg Bears
  • AFL Ontario (13 clubs): Hamilton Wildcats, Grand River Gargoyles, Etobicoke Kangaroos, Toronto Dingos, Toronto Rebels, Toronto Eagles, Central Blues, High Park Demons, Broadview Hawks, Ottawa Swans, Barrie Giants, Kingston AFC, Forest City Crows and Aussie X
  • AFL Quebec (9 clubs): Laval Bombers, Montreal Demons, Old Montreal Dockers, West Island Wooders, NDG Giants, Plateau Eagles, Montreal City Blues, Quebec City, Sherbrooke Kangaroos
  • AFL Nova Scotia (2 clubs): Halifax Dockers, Sydney Giants
  • AFL Newfoundland (2 clubs): St John Puffins, Goose Bay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Well dare I venture back into International Footy - Covid put the kybosh for 2020/21 on some International activities and Canada has continued on. Why am i here -to find out with the big schools program did that continue on and has it resulted in playing numbers increasing Covid notwithstanding.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well dare I venture back into International Footy - Covid put the kybosh for 2020/21 on some International activities and Canada has continued on. Why am i here -to find out with the big schools program did that continue on and has it resulted in playing numbers increasing Covid notwithstanding.

Calgary is where the big juniors program was. I don't think it's bounced back to pre-Covid, but it is bouncing back.

There's also similar (albeit smaller) programs that have popped up in Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa and Halifax.

The North Delta Junior Australian Football League (in Vancouver) seems to have stalled entirely, but AFL Canada has recently hired a full-time development manager in Vancouver, so things should grow there next year.

The cool thing AFL Canada has done this year is the Northern Lights Youth Mentor Project. It's a high performance program for teen girls and they bring on national players to help. It was biggest in Ottawa, but was also done in Hamilton, Calgary and Halifax. There were over 100 girls all up. Should have a good effect on their national team in a few years.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So you don't know what's going on in Canada?

The majority of what I wrote was from the annual report: AFL Canada Annual Report

And I also volunteer comms for AFL Canada and chat with the AFL Canada executive director weekly.

So, please enlighten me as to which information is "way off the mark" so I can get it fixed in the annual report.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The majority of what I wrote was from the annual report: AFL Canada Annual Report

I've read the annual report and I don't get your impression at all, in fact quite the opposite.
Can you quote the bits that support your "stalling" remark.
You don't seem to appreciate the huge amount of work in B.C.
The last I heard they could supply enough "coaches" for the demand.
And AFL Canada have had a paid development officer for some years now as a reward for their gains.
https://aflcanada.com/afl-canada-annual-report/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back