Worst game by an individual in modern footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We’re halfway through the third quarter of tonight’s game and much is being made by the commentators of the fact Curtly Hampton is yet to register a stat (though I believe he may just have registered a handball).

Got me thinking about truly terrible games by individuals, from Kade Simpson’s multiple 0 possession efforts at the start of his career to Zac Dawson’s infamous mauling by Rocca. Also remember Djerrkurra having to be subbed off for us to arrest one of the all time shockers.

What stands out to you?

To be fair to Kade Simpson the game has changed a hell of a lot since those 0 possession games. Think I heard somewhere he had 5 minutes on the ground in the last quarter of one of those games, or something like that.
Yeah I wasn’t trying to pot him - the talk of it just got me thinking. Very strange in the days before the sub rule though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hampton’s game would be right up there.

He’d want to be injured or something because he’s lost every one on one he’s been in. Players have constantly been too fast for him.

I'd be drug testing him on the spot in the rooms. Looked stoned.

I could be wrong here, but bear with me.

In the first year of Champion Data recording points, Winston Abraham played his first game of the season against the Bombers.

He came straight off the bench to a contest on the wing. He picked up the ball, was tackled by Hird, got done for holding the ball and did his knee in the process. He never played AFL again.

A career Supercoach average of -8 or something.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Without seeing Hampton tonight, the most noticeably bad game I've seen from a player in recent memory was Tom Hickey last year against the Bombers.

It wasn't that he wasn't getting his hands on it, I've just never seen such a liability on the field as he was that night, particularly for a ruckman. It was impossible to miss, an absolute trainwreck.

Yeah Curtly's GPS data tonight compared with teammates might make for interesting reading. I'd be pretty filthy if I was Sloane or Laird and just gave it the kitchen sink out there and saw some of the efforts he put forth.

I could be wrong here, but bear with me.

In the first year of Champion Data recording points, Winston Abraham played his first game of the season against the Bombers.

He came straight off the bench to a contest on the wing. He picked up the ball, was tackled by Hird, got done for holding the ball and did his knee in the process. He never played AFL again.

A career Supercoach average of -8 or something.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did his knee giving away a 50 trying to land a cheapie on Hird.

Ben Holland absolutely shut down Anthony Rocca twice on QueensBirthday.
2006, 3 Disposals and 1 Goal
2007, 2 Disposals and No Score

Remove this Banner Ad

Back