QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

As a ruckman not particularly adept at actually getting both feet off the ground, I love the finals when we have boundary umpires and I finally get to wrestle these panzies that just want to have a jumping contest.

Good to just have AFLQ officials on the boundaries and in the goals as well, as we found out on Friday night not every club honours the 'honesty policy' in Friday night footy, pretty disappointing but we move on....:rolleyes:
I wish I could say it only happens in your comp.
It seems to me that some favor there own club by not making decisions.
I can't say they are deliberately doing it or they just don't see it.
I had a goal umpire take a grab inside the field of play.
Wasn't sure what the rule was so I took it back to where he kicked it.
Lucky it was his own team so they couldn't whinge too much.
Some are pretty ordinary but we are all volunteers and without them you don't play.
Now your assuming that in finals you will get better.
Good luck with that.

It’s the same in div 4 and 5. We spend the year without boundary umpires and it’s a ball up instead ( which is good because finding a boundary ump is like finding $50 on the floor at a strip club, very difficult to do!). But finals we have them again. It’s never been an issue really.
We’ve had boundary umps the last couple of home games, we get some of the kids from the U16s to volunteer.

We’ve had boundary umps the last couple of home games, we get some of the kids from the U16s to volunteer.

Good if you can get them. Most clubs in the last 4 years have struggled to get one, or one club could and the other couldn’t which made it hard.

Congrats on the win on the weekend, I know there was a bit of feeling between our two clubs the week before but happy to see you guys get on the board.

Whats stopping you outside the centre bounce big fella.. :)

Ball ups the oppo ruckmen usually want to stand 5m away and have a run up and jump. If I take their space and protect the drop zone for an easy tap, I get pinged 50% of the time by the umpire for 'shepherding' or 'blocking their run'. I'm not even sure if the umpire is right or wrong, as the rule is so vague. I've always thought protecting the space was the whole idea of ruckwork though!

Ball ups the oppo ruckmen usually want to stand 5m away and have a run up and jump. If I take their space and protect the drop zone for an easy tap, I get pinged 50% of the time by the umpire for 'shepherding' or 'blocking their run'. I'm not even sure if the umpire is right or wrong, as the rule is so vague. I've always thought protecting the space was the whole idea of ruckwork though!

There in lies the problem - you have to rely on an umpire at that level of footy knowing the rules. :) Sympathetic to your plight...

I've watched QAFL and AFL games where its adjudicated the same way.

I actually genuinely don't understand the rule. If there is a ball up and one ruckman wants to stand 3m from the contest to get as runup, and one wants to sit underneath it and wrestle - who gets 'right of way' ?

Surely the bloke sitting underneath it can protect the drop zone (usually while copping a knee in the ribs for his troubles) ? But sometimes they get pinged for it with the explanation being either 'you blocked his run' or 'you can't shepherd in a ruck contest'.

I think the shepherd one is a joke, but I'm unsure about whether or not you can block their run, and how that is defined, because if you don't block their run you are at a huge disadvantage if you opt to sit under the footy at a ball up instead of stand aside like a centre bounce

I've watched QAFL and AFL games where its adjudicated the same way.

I actually genuinely don't understand the rule. If there is a ball up and one ruckman wants to stand 3m from the contest to get as runup, and one wants to sit underneath it and wrestle - who gets 'right of way' ?

Surely the bloke sitting underneath it can protect the drop zone (usually while copping a knee in the ribs for his troubles) ? But sometimes they get pinged for it with the explanation being either 'you blocked his run' or 'you can't shepherd in a ruck contest'.

I think the shepherd one is a joke, but I'm unsure about whether or not you can block their run, and how that is defined, because if you don't block their run you are at a huge disadvantage if you opt to sit under the footy at a ball up instead of stand aside like a centre bounce

The ruck will be abolished soon and replaced with Rock Paper Scissors to determine who gets the centere clearance, it will be trialed next years AFLX series

If eyes are on ball r3ckon anything goes. Too many dumb fees paid in ruck contests.
Think once you have nominated like a 5 year old you can hold your position.
Providing you don't move across to block the other ruck I'd rule you ok.
If the other ruck wants to run and jump then he must not infringe your rights to a fair contest within the normal rules of the game.
If you hold your space and one of your team mates crosses into the other rucks run then that's definitely a shepherd.
If you both want to engage each other then all's fair provided no-one wraps arms around but if your both doing it then play on in my book.
Not sure if I'm right but no-one has told me different.
That's the way I umpire it and all the lads seem to be ok with it.
The problem is a lot of umpires see the same thing differently.
As now I'm umpiring I'm going with the I'm right all the time rule.
What I do know is a hell of a lot of umpires simply don't know how to read a game of footy.
When someone is acting for a free or when to play advantage.
If you haven't really played then I reckon your easily bluffed.
This is when it gets tuff as one will let it go and the other will always be stopping the game.
Just my opinion and once again I'm sure some will disagree.

Some might Outa.. but I wont - that appears to be very sound logic imo. Too many umpires go looking for frees rather than just letting games evolve. Agree with your interpretation of the ruck contest too. Probably needed to qualify "anything goes" :) Of course not, but if the ruck takes the line of jump away from the opposing ruckman by putting himself there initially then its fine. Can't shepherd the footy for sure.
What I do know, after spending a year doing a bit of umpiring on the Sunday to help out the junior comp a couple of years ago, is that it does require a ex player to advise bc of the reasons you have stated...

Tips for the weeks lads? My thoughts..
Kedron in a nailbiter over carrara.
Redcliffe over wynnum at home.
Ipswich over hinterland in wet conditions.
Pine rivers over moorooka to keep the chooks winless.

Tips for the weeks lads? My thoughts..
Kedron in a nailbiter over carrara.
Redcliffe over wynnum at home.
Ipswich over hinterland in wet conditions.
Pine rivers over moorooka to keep the chooks winless.
Big shake up to top 4 potentially this week, Tigers to beat Wynnum and Carrara to down Kedron for second time this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big shake up to top 4 potentially this week, Tigers to beat Wynnum and Carrara to down Kedron for second time this year
You got the Kedron game right.
First quarter it was all Kedron putting 50 pts on.
Second Carrara hit back doing the same to Kedron.
Third ended with scores close.
Forth Carrara went up a gear and Kedron hit a pot hole.
To be honest Kedron kicked 50 pts in the first quarter and only 33 for the rest of the game.
While not really scoring for three quarters they let in a massive total.
Think they have a lot to work on if they have any chance of getting to the big one.
Never been to Carrara before tidy little set up.
That cricket pitch in the middle puts an extra two kilos on each boot when it's wet.
Nice to see players covered in mud and the ground not closed because of rain.

Top 4 teams well and truly decided now. May be a few position changes over the next few weeks with the top 4 teams playing 2 others from the top 4 in the remaining 4 rounds. Home finals going to be a massive advantage this year I reckon.

Just had a look at the ressies ladder and results. Redcliffe 2s sitting on top undefeated? Have they got experienced older blokes playing 2s or are they putting it all in for a 2s premiership? Serious question. Seems to be a big difference between them and the other sides

Top 4 teams well and truly decided now. May be a few position changes over the next few weeks with the top 4 teams playing 2 others from the top 4 in the remaining 4 rounds. Home finals going to be a massive advantage this year I reckon.

Just had a look at the ressies ladder and results. Redcliffe 2s sitting on top undefeated? Have they got experienced older blokes playing 2s or are they putting it all in for a 2s premiership? Serious question. Seems to be a big difference between them and the other sides
From the two games I've seen Redcliffe weren't stacking those games.
They just have a good ressies side.
Thats not to say now the ones are out of the finals race anything is possible.
But my strong opinion is why would they shaft the boys that got them into this position.
They also will have the advantage of every club they play will have a ones side in finals.
Now who knows what happened at the ressies game at Ipswich.
Reading young kid king hit behind play.
Any truth in it or just more bullshit.
I umpired the ressies at Carrara there club umpire was onto anything that wasn't legal.
So it just seems a couple of weeks ago he would have been onto what happened at hinterland game.
From what i saw he does everything for his club and wouldn't tolerate rubbish from his or any club.
I had no problems with him and would happily do it again.
Clubbies cop plenty of slack but usually from people who expect a lot and give nothing.

I have heard and seen too much lately.
This is aimed directly at all players who think that footy is about hitting blokes and abusing umpires.
This goes for the benches as well.
Set an example your players can follow.
You need to have a good think about why your playing football.
It's a great game and what's happening lately is doing so much harm to everyone involved.
Test yourself against a better player by improving yourself not trying to finish his time in the game.
Its a game and a bit of honesty and integrity goes a long way.
If your chatter after the game is about the bloke you hit your the problem.
If this offends you then you are also the problem.
Umpiring twos this year I've met and had good banter with plenty of blokes from all clubs.
I've met wonderful people who are dedicated to improving there club.
What's it going to take until you realise that it's not ok.
No apologies for my comments.

I have heard and seen too much lately.
This is aimed directly at all players who think that footy is about hitting blokes and abusing umpires.
This goes for the benches as well.
Set an example your players can follow.
You need to have a good think about why your playing football.
It's a great game and what's happening lately is doing so much harm to everyone involved.
Test yourself against a better player by improving yourself not trying to finish his time in the game.
Its a game and a bit of honesty and integrity goes a long way.
If your chatter after the game is about the bloke you hit your the problem.
If this offends you then you are also the problem.
Umpiring twos this year I've met and had good banter with plenty of blokes from all clubs.
I've met wonderful people who are dedicated to improving there club.
What's it going to take until you realise that it's not ok.
No apologies for my comments.
Outandabout you just hit the nail on the head mate, I’m sure most of us couldn’t have said it better

NP has Carrara flying, building up nicely for finals.
His quarter time and three quarter time speaches must have been gold.
Whatever he said got them up and about in the directly following quarters.
Do that for four quarters and no-one will come near them.
But give away a start like that in a final and you might regret it.

His quarter time and three quarter time speaches must have been gold.
Whatever he said got them up and about in the directly following quarters.
Do that for four quarters and no-one will come near them.
But give away a start like that in a final and you might regret it.
Obviously your on a promise with np, I wish my beloved roosters could improve but I wouldnt right off Kedron just yet or Wynnum a few injuries to the saints with no depth that could be the end of them unless they play the s**t birds from Ipswich where their under 16 team could beat them wannabes

Yep, top 4 locked in I agree, Question who of the top four can recruit and improve to the level required to be competitive in Division 2 next season if they win the Division 3 flag this year. Could be fatal for the Premiers, Kedron or Ipswich maybe could go up, not sure about the other two.

Would have thought Wynnum well equipped to go up, many good ex Wynnum players are playing at a higher level elsewhere and could be lured back.

Not sure its the same with the other 3 sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back